• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Smash 4 at risk of being the most forgotten Smash game?

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I'd say so, seeing as it doesn't have a real story mode or any modes that are superior to the ones in Ultimate (in my opinion). Also all the main stages and every character is back. Smash 64 might also be the most forgotten one but it does have that nostalgia as the OP mentioned. Melee has that competitive edge and Brawl has Subspace, so I can definitely see why this topic was made. All that being said, the hype train for Smash 4 was much more enjoyable to me, and it was an unforgettable experience. It's when I joined these boards and learned so much about other franchises based on all the character requests from them. It got me to dive deeper into the Smash community and even try competitive play, such as being in leagues and whatnot.

Also, I still don't own a Switch, and I may not get one. This will be the game I still end up playing lmao. Ultimate looks amazing, and I love that everyone is back, but I do not play that many games outside of Smash, so it will take more for me to buy a Switch. I bought a Wii for Brawl and a Wii U for Smash 4...only for most of its games I purchased to get upgrades/ports for the Switch. No, I'm not referring to Smash as a port when it clearly isn't, but outside of certain modes I didn't care about, Smash 4 doesn't really have anything that Ultimate doesn't. It's also upsetting to have spent so much money on Smash 4 DLC that's in the base game of Ultimate. I save my money and am careful about each purchase I make, and while there are so many great things about Ultimate which probably will make it the best Smash game of all time, I'm unsure that I'll be getting it.

Dan

Smash Lord
Also, I still don't own a Switch, and I may not get one. This will be the game I still end up playing lmao. Ultimate looks amazing, and I love that everyone is back, but I do not play that many games outside of Smash, so it will take more for me to buy a Switch. I bought a Wii for Brawl and a Wii U for Smash 4...only for most of its games I purchased to get upgrades/ports for the Switch. No, I'm not referring to Smash as a port when it clearly isn't, but outside of certain modes I didn't care about, Smash 4 doesn't really have anything that Ultimate doesn't. It's also upsetting to have spent so much money on Smash 4 DLC that's in the base game of Ultimate. I save my money and am careful about each purchase I make, and while there are so many great things about Ultimate which probably will make it the best Smash game of all time, I'm unsure that I'll be getting it.
Damn; to each his own haha, but this game is worth way more than $60.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Damn; to each his own haha, but this game is worth way more than $60.
Never said it wasn't. I think it is too. The problem is I don't have the $300 Switch lol. And as a Wii U owner who has spent lots of money on titles such as MK8, Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors, etc, it is disappointing for the definitive editions to be on a system you don't have and would have to drop so much more money for. I even got BoTW for Wii U.

I'm just not sure if the overall content in Ultimate vs the Wii U version is worth buying a new system for, also. But yeah, getting slightly off topic now haha.

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Never said it wasn't. I think it is too. The problem is I don't have the $300 Switch lol. And as a Wii U owner who has spent lots of money on titles such as MK8, Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors, etc, it is disappointing for the definitive editions to be on a system you don't have and would have to drop so much more money for. I even got BoTW for Wii U.

I'm just not sure if the overall content in Ultimate vs the Wii U version is worth buying a new system for, also. But yeah, getting slightly off topic now haha.
That´s why I dont buy digital games from Nintendo anymore. It was very hard to find someone to buy my WiiU with all my 10 AAA games I had on my system. I needed to find a buyer that would also buy my Nintendo account together with the console, or I would lose a lot of money. It was hard, and I still had to lower the price I was charging for my Nintendo Account, but I sold the WiiU with my games and used it to help me buy the Switch. Now I only buy games in physical media.

Anyway, you can't stay on the WiiU forever. Just sell it for some price with your games and get your Switch.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
That´s why I dont buy digital games from Nintendo anymore. It was very hard to find someone to buy my WiiU with all my 10 AAA games I had on my system. I needed to find a buyer that would also buy my Nintendo account together with the console, or I would lose a lot of money. It was hard, and I still had to lower the price I was charging for my Nintendo Account, but I sold the WiiU with my games and used it to help me buy the Switch. Now I only buy games in physical media.

Anyway, you can't stay on the WiiU forever. Just sell it for some price with your games and get your Switch.
Weren't you afraid of giving someone your account info?

BXBX

Smash Cadet
Let's just say I played smash 64, melee, brawl roughly when they were released, and I'm getting ultimate. But I never played smash4

All Hail Me

Sarge
To be honest, as someone who’s life was too busy at the time to care, I forgot entirely Smash 4 existed until ultimate was announced, and that the Wii U was a thing (I had only played a couple of times on my friend’s DS on lunch breaks). So yes, it will probably die away, everyone is in the new game plus more, and the smash 4 scene is dominated by one character with no more balancing occurring.

Edit: I was a huge player of smash before that. Spending way too much time on 64 and melee. A little time on SSBB before I had a massive life change and couldnt keep up for a little bit.

Last edited:

Zeriora

Smash Apprentice
Competitively, no, it will never be forgotten. Casually, yes, there was nothing special about smash 4, smash tour sucks, smash run was fun but died out, and the lack of any story or adventure mode made it repetitive.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Let's just say I played smash 64, melee, brawl roughly when they were released, and I'm getting ultimate. But I never played smash4
This would've been me if I didn't have a brother who bought Wii U/3DS and Smash 4. It actually took Mario Maker to sell me on Wii U.

Dan

Smash Lord
omg, @ 12:00 he litrerally repeats the title of the thread, haha.

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
I think the best way to describe Smash 4 is the awkward teenage years between Brawl and Ultimate. It marked a key turning point from Brawl's campy, floaty, unbalanced mechanics, to Ultimate's more eSports friendly direction. Compared to Ultimate, it just feels like this weird, un-happy middle ground, lacking the strongest aspects of either (Brawl's modes and single player and Ultimate's snappy pace and refined mechanics). So I think Smash 4 will be looked at as a transitional, beta-Ultimate, but little else.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I've had to think about it some, but my guess is Smash 4 3DS will probably stand the test of time. As much as the Switch can be used as a handheld, a lot of parents probably don't see it as such because of the price point and easy-to-misplace joy cons. Which means most of the kiddies playing Smash on the go will be "stuck" with the older game - like being stuck with a slightly smaller piece of filet mignon lol.

Sadly, I think Ultimate is the final nail in Wii U's coffin (both the game and the console).

Last edited:

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
I've had to think about it some, but my guess is Smash 4 3DS will probably stand the test of time. As much as the Switch can be used as a handheld, a lot of parents probably don't see it as such because of the price point and easy-to-misplace joy cons.
In the short term, maybe. But in the long-term, Ultimate will replace it as the Switch becomes more ubiquitous.

Bennnn

Smash Rookie
NNID
3DsBennnnnnnnnnn
3DS FC
4484-8769-6002
I think smash 3ds will outlive WiiU, mainly because 3DS sold better, had more interesting single player, and was on a much more popular system. But I think that smash 64 will be forgotten because of how outdated it is compared to any of the other smash games.

Cyroo

Smash Rookie
I only played Smash 4 at a friends house; the fact it was launched on a failed console didn't help.

Browny

Smash Hater
If the next smash comes out with home run contest, stage builder, a proper adventure mode and all the good stuff, Ultimate will be the most forgettable game.

Smash 4 introduced a ridiculous amount of characters and stages, its hard for Ultimate to make a large improvement on that but if the trend of absolutely no limits on what characters are possible continues, the potential for new stages/music/characters becomes larger than ever.

Dan

Smash Lord
Ultimate is like Odyssey; good, but underwhelming. Of course the stuff that matters is there and both games are great, but once you strip away the flash, there isn't much left.

For the next Smash I want them to stop listening to fans and do what they want, and take as long as they need.

At this point I'm wishing there was less characters, stages, music tracks, etc. (less stuff), and that World of Light wasn't trash and that there was all the stuff Browny listed, as well as trophies and new, fun and inventive stuff - imagine an online mode comparable to Mario Kart's Shine Thief or something; Sakurai has done his job in catering to the competitive scene: now it's time to start making a game for everyone again.

I've spent way less with this game than I imagined; really have only played it on the weekends, and there really isn't much to do that is actually compelling beyond online battles and then spending my earned Gold on costumes and music tracks in the shop.

TL;DR: The whole moral of Ultimate that can be applied to the next game is to make an overall balanced experience: a little bit of everything, instead of a million characters, stages and music tracks. I know people are gonna argue WoL is good, but it's lazy and uninspired, and who wants to play Classic Mode 20 years later?

... or literally just port Ultimate again and add trophies, an actual adventure mode, new and creative modes, etc.

Last edited:

newsuperhackboys

Smash Cadet
Personally, I feel like the N64 game is more forgotten. Who honestly keeps talking about it? I hear a lot for Melee, Brawl, 4, 5, and Ultimate, but not for that one. With that said, I guess the 3DS game (Smash 4) could be considered the second forgotten because everyone plays the Wii U (Smash 5) version instead. Honestly, that 3DS game was made so we can just wait for the 5th game.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Personally, I feel like the N64 game is more forgotten. Who honestly keeps talking about it? I hear a lot for Melee, Brawl, 4, 5, and Ultimate, but not for that one. With that said, I guess the 3DS game (Smash 4) could be considered the second forgotten because everyone plays the Wii U (Smash 5) version instead. Honestly, that 3DS game was made so we can just wait for the 5th game.
Smash for 3DS is the second best selling Smash game.
Smash for Wii U is the second worst selling Smash game, if not the worst selling.

Last edited:

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Ultimate is like Odyssey; good, but underwhelming. Of course the stuff that matters is there and both games are great, but once you strip away the flash, there isn't much left.

For the next Smash I want them to stop listening to fans and do what they want, and take as long as they need.

At this point I'm wishing there was less characters, stages, music tracks, etc. (less stuff), and that World of Light wasn't trash and that there was all the stuff Browny listed, as well as trophies and new, fun and inventive stuff - imagine an online mode comparable to Mario Kart's Shine Thief or something; Sakurai has done his job in catering to the competitive scene: now it's time to start making a game for everyone again.

I've spent way less with this game than I imagined; really have only played it on the weekends, and there really isn't much to do that is actually compelling beyond online battles and then spending my earned Gold on costumes and music tracks in the shop.

TL;DR: The whole moral of Ultimate that can be applied to the next game is to make an overall balanced experience: a little bit of everything, instead of a million characters, stages and music tracks. I know people are gonna argue WoL is good, but it's lazy and uninspired, and who wants to play Classic Mode 20 years later?

... or literally just port Ultimate again and add trophies, an actual adventure mode, new and creative modes, etc.
They already did that with Super Smash Bros. Brawl and people consider that the worst Smash Bros game out of the 5 1/2 (project m) games.

osby

Smash Obsessed
They already did that with Super Smash Bros. Brawl and people consider that the worst Smash Bros game out of the 5 1/2 (project m) games.
You count Project M half a game and don't count Smash for 3DS?

Also, I'm pretty sure most people consider Smash 64 the worst game.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
You count Project M half a game and don't count Smash for 3DS?

I think thats just nitpicking at this point, 3DS is just SM4SH ported Wii U -> 3DS.

Most people probably wouldn't consider Smash 64 considering it is the first iteration and there was nothing for it to go on. Mechanically speaking people considered brawl the worst, obviously because of time and games getting better Smash 64 is considered the worst in that regard. But I think Brawl easily holds title of worst Smash release among the community.

It is only natural old games become the worst tin their series as time progresses.

Last edited:

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Project M literally is a mod.
Project M is a mod, exactly. What exactly about the 3DS game is different from the Wii U again?

At least Project M there are new features. You can't argue that with the 3DS version, it is slightly different but pretty much exactly the same game. Thats like me saying FFVII is on the PC and then counting 3 other platforms because it was released on the PC/PS4 and then back onto steam as well..

osby

Smash Obsessed
Project M is a mod, exactly. What exactly about the 3DS game is different from the Wii U again?

At least Project M there are new features. You can't argue that with the 3DS version, it is slightly different but pretty much exactly the same game. Thats like me saying FFVII is on the PC and then counting 3 other platforms because it was released on the PC/PS4 and then back onto steam as well..
https://www.ssbwiki.com/Cross-platform_comparison_of_Super_Smash_Bros._4

REZERO

Smash Journeyman

Dan

Smash Lord
And it was by and large the best-selling game in the series: 13.29M units to 3DS' 9.35 (the second best); don't let the vocal minority on the internet fool you.

And trying to choose a worst Smash game is foolish considering they're all amazing.

Edit: If I have to take a Smash game to a desert island it's Brawl, primarily for SSE; WoL is so pointless that I can't even force myself to play it when it's new.

Last edited:

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
And it was by and large the best-selling game in the series: 13.29M units to 3DS' 9.35 (the second best); don't let the vocal minority on the internet fool you.
And trying to choose a worst Smash game is foolish considering they're all amazing.
What caused those surge in purchases is the fact that the Wii and the 3DS were best selling console & portable for Nintendo. Brawl selling lots of copies =/= quality of the game.

In addition to that 3DS selling more copies than other Smash bros is natural, many games do tend to sell more on the 3DS simply because more people have it than the Wii U.

Also Super Smash Bros. can be amazing but being amazing doesn't mean there's no worst game.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
I agree with and knew everything you said, but what are you basing the quality of the game on? Competitive viability?

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
I agree with and knew everything you said, but what are you basing the quality of the game on? Competitive viability?
Sure, there's a way to competitive and at the same time keep casual players in. Melee did that so I do not see why future installations could not.

Cyroo

Smash Rookie
Uh...? 64 is my main game, and it's usually middle of the pack for most people- not the best or worst, just average.

Brawl is probably, on a more consistent basis, considered to be the worst in the series- even though it sold well, its scene is completely gone- 64 still has an impressive audience, considering it's a 20 year old game using 64 bit graphics.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Largely, by the community? Yeah.

By me personally? I think I'll still have a reason to come back to it for a while.

The 3DS version is easy - has a unique look to it with the outlines, and it has Smash Run.

Wii U version technically has less going for it, but there are a few things that will make me go back to it every so often. The main thing is, that they simply butchered Rosalina in Ultimate, and Rosalina is one of my favourite Nintendo characters and was my main in Wii U/3DS. I don't like playing as her in Ultimate but I still greatly enjoy playing as her in Wii U/3DS. So that's a big thing for me.

Another thing for me personally, is that I actually emulate Smash Wii U/3DS on PC (I own the games physically, I just got them set up on my PC), along with the first three. I can even play Wii U with a Gamecube Controller on my PC. The big benefit here is that I can play the games in native 4K. Smash Wii U looks very sharp in native 4K so sometimes it's fun to come back to. I can even play Smash Wii U online from my emulator on the official Nintendo Network for as long as it's around. So that ease of access to the game and at 4K to boot means I literally click my emulator in my taskbar, click the game, and I'm playing Smash Wii U. So the game is at my fingertips very often making it easy to pick up and play. I also have mods to play around with.

Until Ultimate can also be emulated at 4K and unless they patch Rosalina to make her halfway functional in Ultimate again (she's not even just nerfed, she's also unfinished and unpolished), there are reasons for me to go back to the previous games. Ultimate is the focus for now though, but I am almost done with all of the offline stuff.

SOXXX

Smash Rookie
Its 100% because it was on the Wii U. The Wii U was the worst selling Nintendo system ever, you could make a strong case that if the Wii U wasn't so bad, that perhaps the Switch isn't even out yet, and no Smash Ultimate. Brawl came out, over 6 years after Melee, Smash U came out over 6 years after Brawl, this new smash comes about 4 years after the last one and its 100% because of the Wii U.

Dusk Mane Koopa

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-6430-7504-4526
Ultimate has almost everything For had and more. It does everything better on more advanced hardware. For did introduce groundbreaking characters to the series, so there's that.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
It's more about the game being released on the Wii U, and the split in resources and sales between the Wii U and 3DS versions, that makes it more forgettable.

In terms of the actual content, the game introduced more new characters than ever, some of which are amazing and all of which are returning, so it's not like they'll be forgotten. It also introduced DLC and patches, a better online system than Brawl with more follow-up from Nintendo, 8-player Smash, amiibo functionality (Smash 4, specifically Smash Wii U, was the biggest driver of amiibo sales, which have been extremely profitable for Nintendo), and honestly it was used as the basis for Ultimate, which allowed for a Smash release earlier in the Switch's life cycle, so that's good too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There's no reason why would it be forgotten. The Switch game wouldn't exist if it hadn't been built from the Wii U game specifically. That's an enhanced version internally speaking besides changes on to mechanics and character data no matter how you spin it even though it's being marketed as its own thing. I don't believe the engine was made from scratch as Nate Bihldorff from Treehouse said at E3 as I think that's just PR. Imagine it's the Windows 7 to 3DS/Wii U's Windows Vista. Both looked mostly the same yet Windows 7 introduced some changes both on the interface front and under the hood. The Switch game is just like that. But I'm not going to talk about that since this is 3DS/Wii U that is being discussed. Before you get to me because I said this, let me tell you I do acknowledge the Switch game as its own game in some way.

This was released on the 3DS too, and I think that's the most overlooked/forgotten one of the two versions since most people focus on the Wii U version and perhaps understandably so since that's the one that can be played in tournaments. If it hadn't been for the 3DS version, this would be the worst selling Smash game period (despite its high attach rate to Wii U hardware sales), or barely above/below the N64 original in sales. I don't think it'd have been any better if the Wii U version only released.

The 3DS version in particular is a technical marvel for an already underpowered system, and back then I'd have preferred to have it exist over bringing low priority characters like the Ice Climbers. But again, the Switch game came out and they're in it. The point is, it was a new way to experience Smash Bros. despite some people's animalistic usage of the Circle Pad resulting in it breaking and the lack of a GameCube controller layout for the hardcore tourney players. Whether features justify its existence or not doesn't matter as the game itself was something new. This Smash Bros. iteration will most likely live on through the 3DS, particularly its online component for a few more years at best based on how Nintendo is targeting the 3DS to a younger audience before they decide to pull the plug on Wii U and 3DS online services. It won't matter for most people since they already have moved on to the Switch game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Unless they patch online play in the ultimate failure of the sequel to allow taunting in randoms, CPU opponents in friend matches and the ability to have a friend or 2 join you in friend matches on the same console, there will always be a reason to play Smash 4

Top Bottom