• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is shining essential for Wolf?

Mage.

Smash Cadet
I'm new to Wolf and i'm absolutely loving the character as a whole. That said, my question is in regards to his shine. I know for Fox/Falco their shine is very important but is it also necessary for Wolf to use shine? Meaning, is it absolutely vital/important to learn wave shining or shine pressure on wolf, or can I just use it here and there to continue combos or edguegaurding? If anyone could also point out the differences between his shine and fox/falco's that would also help a bunch!

TheCandyman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3866-8591-8094
Short answer: abso-****ing-lutely

Wolf's shine is different in the angle it sends. It's very much the half way point between fox and falco's and kinda send at a 45 degree angle. His shine is incredibly vital towards his combo game because without it he couldn't combo practically every character in the game. It can be used for Shine-bairs for some kills and at varying percents on the character sets up perfectly for a Flash kill (side-b) Of course there are other flash set ups (B-throw, Dair, fair and u-air depending on DI) but it is absolutely vital to learn that.

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
Also you can crouch cancel wolfs shine if you didn't already know. Shine is easily his best move. Whenever you can hit someone with an aerial you should probably shine and double jump into it instead. Also shine is one of wolfs best approach tools, its also probably his best defensive move. And finally if it weren't for shine a lot of follow ups wouldn't be possible.

Don't be too worried about waveshines and multishines though. Although incredibly good, kinda niche and really really tough to do.

Edit: On second thought that stuff is really important, just don't focus on that first.

Last edited:

TheCandyman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3866-8591-8094
Also you can crouch cancel wolfs shine if you didn't already know. Shine is easily his best move. Whenever you can hit someone with an aerial you should probably shine and double jump into it instead. Also shine is one of wolfs best approach tools, its also probably his best defensive move. And finally if it weren't for shine a lot of follow ups wouldn't be possible.

Don't be too worried about waveshines and multishines though. Although incredibly good, kinda niche and really really tough to do.

Edit: On second thought that stuff is really important, just don't focus on that first.
But is multishine that important? I cam see double shine then WD out of that to be for shield pressure but besides that...

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
But is multishine that important? I cam see double shine then WD out of that to be for shield pressure but besides that...
Yeah I agree it isnt as important but its wolfs best shieldpressure and his only way to true into killmoves from 0 without grab.

Mage.

Smash Cadet
I don't have a problem learning multishining, the issue is that when I do it I have to adjust my fingers in an awkward way in order to wavedash out of it. Just to be sure, multishining is when you jump cancel the shine within the first (4?) frames and then shine again, right? I've done it a couple of times on accident but when I attempt to wavedash out of one it's awkward as all hell for my fingers.

TheCandyman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3866-8591-8094
I don't have a problem learning multishining, the issue is that when I do it I have to adjust my fingers in an awkward way in order to wavedash out of it. Just to be sure, multishining is when you jump cancel the shine within the first (4?) frames and then shine again, right? I've done it a couple of times on accident but when I attempt to wavedash out of one it's awkward as all hell for my fingers.
Multishining is pretty advanced I haven't bothered myself to learn Wolf's timing (because I am fairly new to Wolf) but I can do okay with him just because I have a Falco so I would suggest concentrating on other things instead of multishining. But to answer your question yes it is, but you have to be very very quick. Speed it up and you'll eventually get it

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
honestly if youre asking about wether shining is important or not at this point, i wouldnt even start talking about multishining. Its such a nuanced tech for advanced play, its not worth attempting to implement yet. Start with the fundamentals.

my recconmendation is to start out using shine for simple shield pressure. things like nair > shine are very common in competive play. practice jumping out of it to get follow ups like shine > nair, shine > uair, shine > dair, shine > fair, shine > side b, etc. also practice using it to turn yourself around in the air if you want to follow up with a bair for an edge guard or something. when youve got simple applications like this developped, then you can get a bit fancier.

the next important tech skill past simple applications would be wavedashing out of shine, imo. Its very essential to properly punishing variable DI, and is your quickest, most mobile escape route out of your shine. It also opens the door for additional shield pressure by allowing you to bait out, avoid, and punish hasty OOS maneuvers. on many characters at lower percents, shine > WD > shine > WD > shine etc is combo.

past that, id even say shine > JC grab is more important than multishining at anything but advanced levels of play. its easier to do, and is more rewarding, though not as frame tight.

Krumpberry

Banned via Warnings
If you're practicing shine > aerials, then practice on the bottom pillars on Luigi's mansion. It is the same as practicing on someone standing still.

Top Bottom