• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Roy really the clone?

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
So we know how Roy is the clone of marth but it might be possible that Roy was in development before marth but was consider a clone because of tier

Last edited:

pershona

Smash Journeyman
Pretty sure even in the games files Roy is listed along with all other clones, and you even unlock Roy by playing Adventure/Classic with Marth.

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
As much as i love roy (teh phire!! lol) i can definitley attest that he is the clone. He is unlocked using Marth to begin with, and in the Debug mode Roy isn't even listed as "Roy", he's listed as "Emblem" meaning that they wanted another FE character but didnt know who to use. They were originally going to use Leif, (which later became the reason marth has a white costume) but decided on roy because his game was coming out, and he could be somewhat different with his Fire based attack motif.

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
When they were developing the game they made the character of Marth First then, because Sakuri wanted to include more characters, they added a rep. from the up and coming FE game. Thus they put Roy in, this is why all of his moves are the same as marth's and why his moves are so bad and just unfinished. If they made Roy first then Marth, then Roy would be a much more finished and polished character.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
I agree with all of you but does development really matter in my opinion O P I N I O N that even if marth was developed first but maby Roy was supposed to have the stronger damage ex the SB and Smash

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Link24b
3DS FC
1418-6839-5991
I agree with all of you but does development really matter in my opinion O P I N I O N that even if marth was developed first but maby Roy was supposed to have the stronger damage ex the SB and Smash
unfortunately, roy was terribly designed so he ended up slower and weaker as opposed to slower and stronger. yeah, his special moves are more powerful but everything else does less damage on average. he done goofd

doc got the opposite treatment though. he was supposed to be slower and stronger but ended up just as fast and stronger

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
unfortunately, roy was terribly designed so he ended up slower and weaker as opposed to slower and stronger. yeah, his special moves are more powerful but everything else does less damage on average. he done goofd

doc got the opposite treatment though. he was supposed to be slower and stronger but ended up just as fast and stronger
i kinda wish roy got the doc treatment, haha

Sieghart

Smash Apprentice
See, the problem here is that our opinions don't matter. The clone in any situation is based on who was developed second. It doesn't matter how good or bad they are. Even if Roy was downright amazing he'd still be the clone because he's based on Marth just like Falco(clone) is based on Fox and Doc(clone) is based on Mario despite Doc actually being better in that case.

I don't see a point in discussing what ifs when we already know more than enough about what actually happened to answer the practical questions.

Top Bottom