• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Roy Overpowered in Project M

jasgx

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5129-2859-2032
So my brothers trying to tell me Roy is OP so what do u guys think is he OP or Not

Burning Boom

Smash Apprentice
Not even close. Most people around here agree that he's about mid-tier. He was buffed significantly in the transition from Melee to Project M, but he's still nowhere near approaching broken-ness category.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Roy is the perfect character, period. THE CHARACTER that represents Project M the best, pure perfection. I think hes good, but not op

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
If Roy is Op, then fox should be banned.
So no Roy ain't over powered.

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
No character in Project M is "broken". All of the characters take some degree of skill, tech, and knowledge to master, and even then, another character can have a matchup with your character that can make or break a match. That's what's so beautiful about Project M; there is no overall best character in the game, but there is a best character for your personal preference.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
I hardly think he's broken by any means. He's fun and hes a lot stronger than he used to be imo. He's got some weakness in his recovery and a little bit on the predictability in his approaches. I know i personally have a lot of trouble with my friend cause he's pretty good at shield pressuring when he plays wolf. Similarly in a marth vs roy match i think hes almost always at a disadvantage if they know how to space and edgeguard. Id agree with burning, he's probably about mid-tier on the overall roster

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
No guys, his SWORD makes fire, now tell me how that is not OP. Swords don't make fire Roy doesn't make sense.

jeck95

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3840-5508-5042
Roy is not op. Good, but not op.
His recovery is limited and he is the perfect character to get juggled.
Roy has some sick combos and pressure though.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
Roy is just very polarized. Once you learn how to exploit his recovery and combo-food traits then you start to realize that his insane combo and kill potential gets balanced out.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
shadic can i merge this with the one in the roy forums and reopen it

ily

ty shadic~

Edit: the thread redirect will delete itself in a day. I made an oopsie and don't know how to fix it.

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
Roy has some fast ground attacks that also have good range and kill power.
But once other people start playing with air games then he becomes far weaker.

He's kinda like Wario's side B. Really good when you're just starting to pick the game up, but it becomes less and less awesome the more the game opens up.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Roy is nowhere near broken. The only possible broken thing about him now is he arguably has the most powerful Meteor in the game [ correct me if it's not a Meteor I often get the two terms mixed up ] since when you go through a platform and if your opponent is maybe at a little over 70% you can KO them through the ceiling blast-box with his Meteor. The power behind it is pretty awesome, but the sweet spot is kinda picky to hit properly . . .

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Roy is nowhere near broken. The only possible broken thing about him now is he arguably has the most powerful Meteor in the game [ correct me if it's not a Meteor I often get the two terms mixed up ] since when you go through a platform and if your opponent is maybe at a little over 70% you can KO them through the ceiling blast-box with his Meteor. The power behind it is pretty awesome, but the sweet spot is kinda picky to hit properly . . .
You talking about dair?

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
The hitboxes do 18%, have a BKB and KBG of 40/100 and a trajectory of 270 (meteor smash). Also the sweetspot is on his body and arm, but it's hard to hit with because the hitboxes on his sword over lap them slightly and take priority if someone's hurtbox manages to over lap both types of hitboxes.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
The hitboxes do 18%, have a BKB and KBG of 40/100 and a trajectory of 270 (meteor smash). Also the sweetspot is on his body and arm, but it's hard to hit with because the hitboxes on his sword over lap them slightly and take priority if someone's hurtbox manages to over lap both types of hitboxes.
I wasn't necessarily asking for schematics, but thanks.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
YOU'RE WELCOME
Ah, sorry for coming off rude, just didn't mean to ask for as much information as you gave. Honestly, I guess if anything I was mainly asking if Roy's dair was a Meteor Smash or Spike.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
it's k, I have something for those who actually bother with data like that soon(tm)
Actually speaking of intensive information (well I guess, intensive depending on who you ask) I was always wondering, how is a Spike considered a Spike when a Meteor (correct me if I'm wrong by the way) can be cancelled? My only real information is that a Spike can't be cancelled.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Actually speaking of intensive information (well I guess, intensive depending on who you ask) I was always wondering, how is a Spike considered a Spike when a Meteor (correct me if I'm wrong by the way) can be cancelled? My only real information is that a Spike can't be cancelled.
That's pretty much it. Meteor smashes can be cancelled using a jump (these have trajectories of 260-280), but some moves in Melee (and Project M) have trajectories programmed outside this trajectory range (in P:M it's 630 I theorize which would send them down). The game looks at the trajectory and says "this isn't between 260-280 so now you can't jump out of it!" and thus a spike is born.

It's worth noting that very few moves (none possibly?) were spikes in Brawl, though Luigi taunt and a couple of other meteor smashes (Zelda dair, Ike dair) were so powerful that they might as well have been.

Last edited:

Signia

Smash Lord
If anything he's not strong enough. What could possibly make up for such a dismal combination of worst recovery in the game, perfect combo weight/fallSpeed, and lack of out-of-shield options (no usable up-B, up-Smash, or instant aerial)? No projectile either.

Compare this to Falco, who is amazing at everything but has short recovery and is combo food. Except, his fall speed is so high it protects him from combos at 0%, and his recovery is actually amazing due to the options he has. Roy needs to be Jesus incarnate when he's in his effective range or he's too weak. He's like a glass cannon, except not as durable as glass, more like an origami paper cannon. He needs to be an origami paper missle silo, naddamean?

Last edited:

JeezImSoBored

Smash Apprentice
Neither marth nor roy are played to their full potential yet. (check out Kadano's Advanced marth techs) Until then, they will remain "un-broken"

Booster

Smash Lord
Yes he is, this isn't coming from someone who loses to him alot...I beat Giga Bowser Level 9 at 72% as Roy. He makes Meta Knight look like a pu$$y

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Yes he is, this isn't coming from someone who loses to him alot...I beat Giga Bowser Level 9 at 72% as Roy. He makes Meta Knight look like a pu$$y
That doesn't really mean anything towards his competitive standing
CPUs aren't as advanced as real players, there are gimmicks you can use to take advantage of CPUs. Also Giga Bowser is the easiest thing to hit.

Booster

Smash Lord
That doesn't really mean anything towards his competitive standing
CPUs aren't as advanced as real players, there are gimmicks you can use to take advantage of CPUs. Also Giga Bowser is the easiest thing to hit.
He's also the heaviest, killing him at 72% shouldn't happen

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
He's also the heaviest, killing him at 72% shouldn't happen
You could easily gimp him at zero.
It's clear you don't know what you're talking about.
I think Roy is perfect as is.
He may be easy to use, but it's just as easy for him to get combo'd to oblivion by anyone else.

Last edited:

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
I didn't, I only charged it for 2 seconds xP
It's just very powerful. Considering the fact that Roy is almost a power character packed into a lightweight character (Maybe medium-weight...like I said correct me if I'm wrong). He honestly deserves it at this point.
Also, stupid question at moderators: Is censor dodging considered against the forum rules? I can't really find a yes or no answer, and I've been seeing more people doing so.

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
Yeah he's OP. Well, maybe not right now. But once Sethlon wins a national or something, he will be OP, if y'all get what I'm saying.

Everybody is secretly OP, and Project M is terrible and we should all play Brawl Minus instead.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
Yeah he's OP. Well, maybe not right now. But once Sethlon wins a national or something, he will be OP, if y'all get what I'm saying.

Everybody is secretly OP, and Project M is terrible and we should all play Brawl Minus instead.
You just mad cuz he has a good MU against Ganon.

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
You just mad cuz he has a good MU against Ganon.

(picture of le funny maymay)
Yah got me mate. Everybody knows that Lucas is the only OP P:M character. And Ivysaur. And Mewtwo. And Pit. And the Space Furries. And Link. And X character that Y pro won with at Z national. And Gengar.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
Yah got me mate. Everybody knows that Lucas is the only OP P:M character. And Ivysaur. And Mewtwo. And Pit. And the Space Furries. And Link. And X character that Y pro won with at Z national. And Gengar.
And don't forget Goldeen. But on a more serious note, Pit is the most powerful currently. He has a good MU against 90% of the cast including the other "OP" characters like Mewtwo, Link, and Zelda. It's like you gave a Jigglypuff a sword, a bow, magical bendy arrows, and the ability to glide.

Back on thread topic, though. In my opinion, Roy is like absolute mid tier (almost perfectly balanced). He has great combo ability if you can get in, good kill power if you can manage to land the hit out of a combo at higher percents, but a mediocre recovery to balance it all out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom