• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Roy a good main?

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Lately I've been playing Roy and I was wondering should I pick Roy as a main?

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
yeah hes a very good character. definitely top 15, possibly top 10. just be aware that he does have a few rough MUs, like DDD, DK, and zard. these characters tend to outlive him by a pretty decent margin, and have potent CC games that really make it dfficult for roy to space safely, thus making him much more dependent on grabs and a cautious neutral game.

Smolder

Smash Apprentice
The cool thing about Roy is that he's one of those characters that falls under "Easy to learn. Hard to master." His gameplan is pretty simple to pick up and execute effectively. He rewards people heavily for having even just decent fundamentals. Oh, and he has T3h Ph1r3, which instantly makes him better than every character on the roster. So it's really up to you. Just with every character in this game, you will be expected to learn the small intricacies that makes him a truly good character. This will take countless hours of practice (Be it tech skill, friendlies, or tournament), where, most of the time you will be banging your head against the wall figuring out where to improve next. If you're still wondering whether you should main him or not after my post, just look at Sethlon's guide. Check out the advantages and disadvantages of the character. If you like the advantages and feel like you can live with the disadvantages, then bingo, you found your character.

Last edited:

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
I've been looking for a main to play in PM. Ideally it'd be one that's dramatically different from the melee roster, so ive been trying to lean off of the melee top 4, and pick someone that's a little more "exclusive" in design for PM. Roy is looking like a better choice because of how different he is compared to melee thankfully. I figure if I can't play him there, ill play him here. he's got some pretty good set ups on fast fallers, and I like his max range pokes. his side b feels like a better option to mix people up with, and his CC game is kinda nuts. all things im learning to take advantage of the more I play the game again. I'd recommend using him, because even though people know he's strong, he still feels somewhat underdeveloped, and theres more to him that we can learn. Of course, that's just an initial feeling from me, and im sure ill learn more with the more threads, guides, and videos I observe. Either way, PM Roy is really sick.

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
with his downtilt sending upward i even think he matches marth dangerosity. just watch lunchables play.

Top Bottom