• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Riivolution ******** or am I?

Laraso

Smash Rookie
I've been having multiple problems with Riivolution and it's very frustrating.

The first problem I noticed was that sometimes Riivolution will not even recognize that the disc is in, and will tell me to insert the disc. However, if I try to eject the disc and reinsert it, nothing happens, and instead I am forced to go back to the Wii menu and start Riivolution again until it recognizes the disc. Sometimes even THAT doesn't work, and instead I have to take out the disc, start Riivolution, wait until it tells me to insert the disc and then insert the disc. I do have similar problems with other things like the Disc channel and Gecko OS, but they don't go to the point that I have to exit all the way back to the Wii menu for them to start working again. Usually a simple eject and reinsertion will fix it.

The second problem I had is that common5_en.pac crashes. Whenever I edit it and start the game through Riivolution, the game crashes whenever I enter the part of the game that I edited in common5 (such as a freeze on the map selection screen if I edited sc_selmap_en), but Riivolution claims that it is not limited by filesizes, am I right? So then I deleted the MotionEct packages like everyone on the internet suggests people to do, and it still freezes.

The third problem I'm having, which is by and far the most annoying and most damaging of them all, is that Riivolution simply will not load some files. I know the files aren't corrupt or bad or anything, because these files WERE LOADING whenever I was using the File Patch Code with Gecko OS. It will not load almost half of my stage texture hacks, no matter what I do. For example, it doesn't seem to want to load the Smashville texture, but it seems perfectly capable of loading the Battlefield texture. So whenever I play on Smashville, it's all default textures, but on Battlefield it is how it should be. Also, I noticed that it will not load my StrapEn.pac no matter what if I set it in the XML to be loaded as a file, but if I put it in a folder where the file is supposed to be and set it to load the folder, then it works. Which makes no sense whatsoever. (If you don't understand what I mean by that, imagine the StrapEn.pac being in a folder called StrapEn.pac inside the strap folder.) Yet, it is perfectly capable of loading all of the other files by themselves. I also have a suspicion that it is failing to load sc_selmap_en.pac (I made it because common5_en.pac was failing), as I edited the file to how I wanted it, told Riivolution to load it, and when I went to the map selection screen, nothing had changed. I don't know if Riivolution is failing or if something idiotic is happening again like my info.pac issue I had like 5 days ago with the File Patch Code.

Which brings me to my fourth "problem": Riivolution is capable of loading info.pac yet the File Patch Code wasn't, but everybody else is able to load info.pac through the File Patch Code. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Seriously, if anyone has ANYTHING to say about this AT ALL, I would be VERY THANKFUL.

I know this probably isn't the right website to ask questions about this kind of stuff, but I don't know where else to ask, so if someone has a better place (like some sort of Riivolution help forum) then please just give me a link to that instead (unless you can help me).

Extra information you probably don't need but might somehow be of some use to you for some reason:

[COLLAPSE="Stuff"]I recently bought a 8 gigabyte MicroSDHC card because my old 1 gigabyte SD card was full. At the time I was using Gecko OS so obviously the first thing I noticed was that the File Patch Code stopped functioning, and after a short amount of time researching on the internet, I found that the File Patch Code was incapable of working with SDHC cards, but if I were to switch to Riivolution everything would be fine. It took me a while to finally get it working with Brawl due to the poorly organized, sparse, and spread out information there is about setting it up. I had to search a while until I finally found a guide that someone wrote on the AllIsBrawl forums, as there was not enough information available on the Riivolution wiki. Once I did though, I was glad that I did get it set up, as everything was working again and the info.pac (now info_en.pac) that was for whatever reason not working with the FPC started magically working with Riivolution. I then discovered there was just enough information on their wiki that I was able to customize the XML so that I could disable and enable every single individual file on my SD card, and swap out files (like change strap loaders) without ever having to take out the SD card and put it into my computer, which pretty much made me fall in love with Riivolution.[/COLLAPSE]

EDIT:

I can upload my XML files and anything else if it makes a difference.

Volt_Storm_7

Smash Journeyman
2nd problem // Common5.pac may be over size limit
3rd problem // The File patch code shouldn't be used with Riivolution because Riivolution already has its own code to load, thus not needing that code used for Gecko.

Laraso

Smash Rookie
I stopped using the File Patch Code when I switched to Riivolution...

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
Your disc drive might be trash, or your Brawl disc might be. Do other games work? Worst case scenario, you can just use a USB Loader, which we aren't allowed to talk about the specifics of on here. Google is your friend though.

Innerscope

Smash Apprentice
Problem1: ....I have no clue what's happening here. Either your Brawl disc is garbage, or there's something wrong with your disc drive, as JediKnightTemplar said.

Problem2: I used to have this problem as well. Apparently, bres files within an Arc have a limit too. I solved this by setting the hack textures to CMPR format.

Problem3: What XML do you have?

Problem4: Riivolution is capable of reading all files. My guess is that you were puttung them in the wrong places

Laraso

Smash Rookie
Problem3: What XML do you have?
A custom one I made myself.
http://www.mediafire.com/?z7jrvdkzi7dnd3r
http://www.mediafire.com/?opgc9u426k6ti8u

Problem4: Riivolution is capable of reading all files. My guess is that you were puttung them in the wrong places
What I was saying is that Riivolution IS reading this, but I was doing the same exact thing with the File Patch Code, which was NOT able to read it. But people who use the File Patch Code are somehow able to get theirs to work, so something is screwed up.

As for my disc drive, I have no problems with other games, but I have had problems with Brawl specifically. I have a very old Wii and I've read about other people with old Wii's who have problems with their Wii reading the Brawl disc, it had something to do with it being dual layered. The disc drive is exceptionally loud, though... but I have had no problems with anything but Brawl.

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
Do you have Metroid Prime Trilogy or Other M? I know both of those are dual layer, that would be a way to check. Even if you don't, try renting them to see if they work. They aren't half bad anyway, so the rent is worth your time. As for the XML, use this along with the standard FPC file structure.

Laraso

Smash Rookie
No, I do not own the Metroid Prime Trilogy or Other M. I might get the trilogy though, and that would be the answer to my disc drive problem. Also, just for extra information, I have gone through 2 Brawl discs, so I'm pretty sure that neither the drive nor the discs are faulty, but my Wii just has problems reading dual layered discs.

The readme in that .rar answered one of my questions: I can't use sc_selmap_en.pac, I HAVE to use Common5_en.pac. But, nothing in the .rar gave me an answer to how to fix the common5 from crashing. I still need to try that CMPR solution another poster suggested earlier, though.

Also, those stages still wont load. It's not any better than the one I have.

EDIT:

Maybe it's just that I have an evil Wii that likes to screw with me and doesn't want me to have any fun. It's a thought.

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
The only solution I have for you that would immediately solve your problem is a USB loader. I haven't looked into for a while, so I don't even know if one works with 4.3, but as I said earlier- Google is your friend. BTW, this would also solve your common5.PAC problems as ISO patching doesn't have a file size limit. You should probably try a new common5.PAC first though. I believe a guy named illinialex had the game files up. The stage problem is likely just a bad disc- I had this problem as well a while back. You can PM me for more info.

:phone:

aaronlink127

Smash Rookie
NNID
aaronlink127
3DS FC
3394-4043-9413
To fix common5, is to get a new one, export sc_selmap, edit that one, and replace the one that is in common5

Top Bottom