• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Project M still going strong?

Isaac4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
someletters
3DS FC
4270-5125-0529
Switch FC
SW-0987-8922-3098
I've never played Project M and I don't know a lot about it, though I'm hoping that can change soon but I just want to know if Project M is still alive and doing well after such a long time.

JokalJackal

Smash Rookie
...well, the Project closed up really a lot of time ago, in 2015, if I'm not wrong.

They closed the mod since I'm pretty sure the team wanted to dodge the strikes from the Nintendo Ninjas.

Farewell, they were working on new characters (Isaac, Lyn, Knuckles and Sami), stages and techniques, but they left us with 3.6.

And without a PAL version.

This is not how you end it.

Zoa

Smash Ace
Yes. Tournaments still offer it a lot. Even as side events.

Isaac4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
someletters
3DS FC
4270-5125-0529
Switch FC
SW-0987-8922-3098
...well, the Project closed up really a lot of time ago, in 2015, if I'm not wrong.

They closed the mod since I'm pretty sure the team wanted to dodge the strikes from the Nintendo Ninjas.

Farewell, they were working on new characters (Isaac, Lyn, Knuckles and Sami), stages and techniques, but they left us with 3.6.

And without a PAL version.

This is not how you end it.
Oh, I knew about development already being over a long time ago.
I meant if there were still tournaments and dedicated people playing Project M.
I wish they could have finished devolopment for the new characters and stages though because from what you're telling me, they seem like they would have been great.
Unfortunately, we know how Nintendo is.

Wind98

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4279-6414-9113
Despite the fact I don't live in a very popular smash scene I can still find locals that run PM as a side event.

Its definitely not dead but with the cease of development its unlikely to ever get its foot of the ground again.

However, and I'm not sure if this is true, but I hear they plan on developing a PM style mod for Ultimate, and whether that will gain popularity I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Isaac4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
someletters
3DS FC
4270-5125-0529
Switch FC
SW-0987-8922-3098
Despite the fact I don't live in a very popular smash scene I can still find locals that run PM as a side event.

Its definitely not dead but with the cease of development its unlikely to ever get its foot of the ground again.

However, and I'm not sure if this is true, but I hear they plan on developing a PM style mod for Ultimate, and whether that will gain popularity I'm not sure.
I heard that it was just a simple test to see if the idea could work but honestly I wouldnt be surprised if someone took this and made a full PM style mod for ultimate
Of course, whoever does work on that will have to be carefull Nintendo doesnt go after them

Wind98

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4279-6414-9113
I heard that it was just a simple test to see if the idea could work but honestly I wouldnt be surprised if someone took this and made a full PM style mod for ultimate
Of course, whoever does work on that will have to be carefull Nintendo doesnt go after them
Nintendo will prove to be the real threat

SilverRose_Zero

Smash Cadet
I've never played Project M and I don't know a lot about it, though I'm hoping that can change soon but I just want to know if Project M is still alive and doing well after such a long time.
Yes. It is still going strong. You remind me of myself lol I wondered the same thing after I played one of there older versions. You can go on YouTube and see popular trends: SSBMontreal, Project M Nexus, Clash Tournaments. PM 3.6 is still popular

SilverRose_Zero

Smash Cadet

I watched a video about that on YouTube. I forgot his name but somebody on Twitter was doing test runs for wavedash and stuff for ultimate. It would be interesting, but I'm just stuck on PM(for brawl).

Isaac4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
someletters
3DS FC
4270-5125-0529
Switch FC
SW-0987-8922-3098
Yes. It is still going strong. You remind me of myself lol I wondered the same thing after I played one of there older versions. You can go on YouTube and see popular trends: SSBMontreal, Project M Nexus, Clash Tournaments. PM 3.6 is still popular
Thanks! I'll definitely go online and see how pros play the game
I hear a lot about how its the closest thing to a true successor to melee but is still able to keep it's own identify so I wanna try it out
Im assuming you need to download it into an sd card and put it in your wii while having brawl on right?

JokalJackal

Smash Rookie
Oh, I knew about development already being over a long time ago.
I meant if there were still tournaments and dedicated people playing Project M.
I wish they could have finished devolopment for the new characters and stages though because from what you're telling me, they seem like they would have been great.
Unfortunately, we know how Nintendo is.
I'm more disappointed about the lack of a PAL version, thought.

SilverRose_Zero

Smash Cadet
Thanks! I'll definitely go online and see how pros play the game
I hear a lot about how its the closest thing to a true successor to melee but is still able to keep it's own identify so I wanna try it out
Im assuming you need to download it into an sd card and put it in your wii while having brawl on right?
Yes sirthose are the required steps for playing Project M. But they have other mods too, like Legacy XP & Legacy TE. Those are like PM as well, but XP has more characters.

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
some regions it died... some its still going strong

big numbers for nationals and regionals however

Narpas_sword

I'm more disappointed about the lack of a PAL version, thought.
As a long time PAL player - USB loading is super easy to set up, and saves so much time rather tahn waiting for things to load the disc/hackless way.

Creating a PAL version was not only difficult to achieve - it became more and more pointless as homebrew advanced.

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
no kidding- although I'm having issues using USB loader to boot up later verisons of Legacy XP and now the newest P+ build

I follow the codes in the spots but it just boots Brawl...

3.6 however... boots just fine!

Top Bottom