• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Project M ACTUALLY dead? New patches project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ander

Smash Cadet
Hello, everyone.
This is not a bait or anything, I just wanted to discuss about PM's future.

What I wanted to point out is that, I love PM. A LOT. And many of you do as well, don't you?
A lot of effort was put in this mod, in order to make it the most balanced Smash game. Unluckily, this had to be shut down, because of the "Project M" logo that would have hurt their developers. However... Technically, 3.6 was not intended to be our last build, in fact we should have had 3.61, with new characters, skins, patches and so on. You already knew that.
Why? Because this game isn't complete. In the mind of the developers, there were still plenty of things to do, and, by the way, I see and understand it: some characters needs to be fixed and made better, or other ones nerfed, in order to make anyone viable or just not broken. The point of all this is to make PM the best Smash ever, that reflects Melee but is also funny, because you can pick, play and win with everyone.

My goal? Let's do this. I mean, maybe not a new build, but just simple patches. I'd really like to have a group and talk, discuss about how we can fix a character and make it more suitable for the cast. Facebook, Skype, WhatsApp, Telegram... What you want, really. I'd just like to not let Project M die. There's still a lot of work to do, and yes, we're able to make it the ultimate Smash game, I'm sure about it. I'm just asking for mates that have this passion, and continue this project until it is perfect.
Before you read all this and say "It's illegal", I'd like to point out that (in my opinion) PM Legacy XP had much more commitment than these patches I'm asking for, because it introduced new characters and new stages, along with all the new features. So, just improving the original build doesn't seem legally impossible to me.
So... Anyone interested? I know, it's a ton of work, and I'm asking this only on the supposition you love this game as much as I do. Do you want Project M to live?

P.s.: This may be silly, the opposite of what I said earlier, but... I always play alone with the CPU, and, what is worse, I've never messed up with BrawlBox or whatever. I've never messed around with any character or mode of the build, so... I'm a total noob. I'd like to learn, of course, but at the moment I'm just here for ideas, I'll be honest. I'm sorry... But if this project has success, I'll do my best to help, of course!

Thanks. Let me know if you're interested, or if it's not possible at all. I hope not :p

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
As much as I support balance, this isn't a good idea. Even Legacy XP and Community Complete both purposely make an effort to not touch any of the existing characters because they don't want to split/fragment people's playstyles between builds and confuse/disorient people who move between setups.

Last edited:

Ander

Smash Cadet
That's the point. We're going to evolve the current scene, in order to make it grow. Legacy XP can just follow, can't it? I know they didn't touch what was existing on purpose, but after all, it is made for fun rather than for competitive (sadly, I would have enjoyed balanced new characters).

We're talking about Project M, the competitive one. This is what I meant.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Still. You'll pretty much have this on your hands.

No matter how well balanced this project will be, the original will always be much better known.

And even if this does get out there, people will still ask, "Is this PM or Ander's PM?"

I mean, look at Melee SD Remix. SD Remix was more balanced in every way, and yet people still stuck with Melee.

Last edited:

Ander

Smash Cadet
I was thinking about patches, not official releases or anything. They will be downloaded from who really wants changes/progresses, but not at all intended to be "the new build everyone must play to stay competitive". Other than that, I know 3.6 (which I personally use) is much more common than 3.61, even though this one is stable, except for the new characters.

And even if this does get out there, people will still ask, "Is this PM or Ander's PM?"
That's why I wanted a Facebook/Skype/whatever group lol. I have a few ideas, sure, but no one is going to work for me or anything :p
Discussing is the most important and also the most interesting thing actually, and the patch would be the result of debating and working together. I admit this amazes me, to be honest.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As a reality check, no one is going to help you if you lack any skills required for the project. Not discrediting your potential opinions you may have, but everyone has an opinion on balance, what is actually needed to change the game is to be able to write codes and edit values of the game. If you want to patch this game, you should start asking around how to do these things, or googling, and when you learn how to do it, then you can start forming a team for a potential project.

No one's gonna work for nothing.

Ander

Smash Cadet
Well, I knew that... I just wanted to be honest, instead of saying at the last moment "Eh, I can't do anything lololol". Other than that, yes, I want to do this, and I know I need knowledge to be able to do anything. I've already started searching for something.

But before practical things, shouldn't our team (AHAHAHAHAH, nice joke) discuss about what to do? I mean, how can we make things work without a plan on paper? (ugh, I hope you get the point).

Discussing is essential, and then you could just leave it to me, if that's the matter. However, I' d like to underline that a team works together, and who knows, there is always something to learn. Until then, I'll just practice by myself. I'm pretty confident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom