• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Nintendo in Need Of a New President?

Commander

Smash Ace
How much actual business experience and knowledge do the people who are talking about this actually have?

Commander

Smash Ace
I have none so I don't talk about it. I just don't understand where everyone else is getting their ideas from.

Commander

Smash Ace
I am a Business student, but that's not what gives me my arguments. It's called common sense.
You said that Reggie was doing a good job and that Iwata was stuck 20 years in the past. Yet Iwata lead Nintendo in new directions with the Wii and DS and Microsoft and Sony not only copied motion controls but they also copied the WiiU by adding PSVita and Microsoft Surface support respectively. Reggie however failed to differentiate the WiiU from the Wii until recently with ads that explicitly state that the WiiU is a seperate console. It is also under Iwata's leadership we have Nintendo Directs which allow consumers to get direct info without having to muddle through third parties that may spread misinformation. You also stated that there needs to be a new F-Zero despite the fact that it has never sold well. How did common sense lead you to any of your conclusions?

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
@ Commander Commander Sega was the first company to implement functional motion controls, and the keyword there is functional, Nintendo had the Power Glove on the NES, but it didn't work. Reggie is probably the best thing to ever happen to Nintendo of America, and Nintendo Direct is one of the stupidest things ever, it only caters to Nintendo's current install base it doesn't in any way help them reach out to potential customers.

finalark

SNORLAX
People need to rip their rose tinted glasses off and realize that this is how its been since the N64 days. The only reason why the N64 didn't come in dead last world wide like it did in Japan is because SEGA screwed the pooch hard when it came to how they handled the Saturn internationally.

Astraea31

Smash Apprentice
You said that Reggie was doing a good job and that Iwata was stuck 20 years in the past. Yet Iwata lead Nintendo in new directions with the Wii and DS and Microsoft and Sony not only copied motion controls but they also copied the WiiU by adding PSVita and Microsoft Surface support respectively. Reggie however failed to differentiate the WiiU from the Wii until recently with ads that explicitly state that the WiiU is a seperate console. It is also under Iwata's leadership we have Nintendo Directs which allow consumers to get direct info without having to muddle through third parties that may spread misinformation. You also stated that there needs to be a new F-Zero despite the fact that it has never sold well. How did common sense lead you to any of your conclusions?
You do realize features such as remote play have to be thought of years in advance for it to actually be implemented into the console. That and this isn't even true. Sony actually planned remote play WAY BACK with the PS3 and PSP, but fell back on it because it didn't work that well.

Proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJxa1JjiILc

C3CC

Smash Lord
Then again, what you mentioned was not only Reggie's fault. Nintendo as a whole failed to differentiate the Wii U from the Wii at the beginning, so that can't really be blamed only on Reggie. F-Zero has never sold well, but its sales are not something you could call bad either. Plus, I'm sure if a new F-Zero game were to be made, with a proper makerting campaign, would be a hit. And, if I remember correctly, the Wii was Miyamoto's idea, not Iwata's. The Nintendo Directs are a great idea, I'll give him that. But aside from that, his management antics seem to be rather obsolete. He should embrace the changes that have been occurring in the videogame industry in the last 10 years and adapt to them. Yet, he thinks the industry is exactly the same as it was when the Gamecube was introduced. If another person held the president position at Nintendo, we most likely wouldn't have gotten such an underwhelming and underpowered console like the Wii U.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Nintendo does need a serious direction change, this doesn't necessarily necessitate terminating Iwata but that is one method of accomplishing it. Regardless of whether the operation is largely the same people or not, what needs to happen is acknowledgement that mistakes have been made, the course that Nintendo has been on for the better part of the last decade is a dead end. They caught lightning in a bottle with the Wii but that isn't a sustainable way of operating, they pissed off half of their existing fans to reach for a market that wasn't going to stick with them for very long to begin with. Now the Wii U is an abject failure and the 3DS is the only thing keeping Nintendo halfway respectable

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
But not Prime 1 AKA the best one?

I don't know if Shiggy is president material. I mean, remember what he did to Sticker Star. That worries me.

Whoever thought the Wii U was a good idea definitely does not deserve their job. If that was Iwata, then yes, new president is needed.
Shut the hell up about the Wii U, IT IS A GREAT IDEA AND WILL ALWAYS BE A GREAT IDEA. And Prime 2 was the best one. The Wii U's not underwhelming or underpowered, it's amazing.

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I'm pretty sure the fact that it's selling like boxed cancer makes it not a good idea.

This is correct.
I'm pretty sure it's selling like that because of morons who go 'I'll wait for Smash or Zelda U' even though the system already has a good number of good games. The GamePad's amazing and once you get it and use it you understand why it's such a great idea, playing Megaman X without my TV plugged in happily.

Also, Super Metroid's indeed best Metroid, but Metroid Prime 2 is best 3D Metroid.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm waiting for Smash and Zelda.

The Wii U's problem is that its library consists of nothing but PS360 ports and extremely niche games. Monster Hunter 3, Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 all appeal to a rather small audience compared to say, Metroid or Zelda. Granted, Sonic Lost World is ****ing awesome* but since I already beat the game at a friend's place I don't consider it a driving force. I'm still planning on picking up a Wii U since its always worth it to own Nintendo consoles, but they've certainly done a better job with the 3DS so far IMO.

*You may or may not think Sonic Lost World is awesome.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Mario 3D World is pretty much the best reason to own a Wii U right now, but that might change once DKC Tropical Freeze comes out in a couple weeks it looks pretty promising.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure it's selling like that because of morons who go 'I'll wait for Smash or Zelda U' even though the system already has a good number of good games. The GamePad's amazing and once you get it and use it you understand why it's such a great idea, playing Megaman X without my TV plugged in happily.

Also, Super Metroid's indeed best Metroid, but Metroid Prime 2 is best 3D Metroid.
I regret buying a Wii U as early as I did, I think the gamepad is terrible and the console would be better if they had focused on the pro controller and invested the extra cash into the hardware instead(or just made the console cheaper). I'll still probably enjoy a lot of things on it in the end because I love me some Metroid and Zelda and Smash Bros, but the console itself is deeply flawed, not just it's library as of this moment. People waiting for more games and a price drop had the right idea IMO

Echoes is a great game, I wouldn't go as far as to put it over the first Prime but it is pretty underrated when people talk about the series as if Super Metroid and Metroid Prime were the only highlights

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I regret buying a Wii U as early as I did, I think the gamepad is terrible and the console would be better if they had focused on the pro controller and invested the extra cash into the hardware instead(or just made the console cheaper). I'll still probably enjoy a lot of things on it in the end because I love me some Metroid and Zelda and Smash Bros, but the console itself is deeply flawed, not just it's library as of this moment. People waiting for more games and a price drop had the right idea IMO

Echoes is a great game, I wouldn't go as far as to put it over the first Prime but it is pretty underrated when people talk about the series as if Super Metroid and Metroid Prime were the only highlights
The GamePad's like the best thing about the Wii U, it's an amazing controller.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Unergonomic, horrible battery life, creates unneeded clutter by virtue of the Wii U having like 5 controllers because Nintendo can't be like normal companies and stick with a good design(you had it with the gamecube you dolts), inverted stick placement on the right side is nonsensical given that on the buttons is the primary thumb position for most games, the bumpers are like a a full inch vertically removed from the triggers which is a major slowdown for anyone that prefers to only use index fingers, the start and select buttons are a bit of a thumb stretch compared to where they should be. Can't say the novelty of being able to play old SNES games handheld matters to me, much more comfortable to play them on TV than to be either looking down constantly or holding my arms out in front of me. They would have been better off just bringing back the Wii Remote, at least if they had done that there would have been no confusion as to whether or not it was a new console when they spent their entire debut presentation talking about the new controller gimmickry

Top Bottom