• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Nintendo in Need Of a New President?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Ever since Iwata took over as Nintendo's president in the early 2000s, the company seems to have let many series just die.
In the N64 era, most of Nintendo's series were relevant. Metroid, F-Zero, Earthbound was going to have a game but it got cancelled and turned into Mother 3 for logical reasons.
There seemed to be no, "dead series".
But when Satoru Iwata took over as president, Earthbound died, Starfox died, F-Zero died, Earthbound died, Earthbound died, EARTHBOUND DIED!
Each of these franchises seem to had one more game, and then boom. They never happened.
This is not only a problem for hardcore gamers, as we want are favorite series' back, but also for the company business wise.

A whole new generation of gaming was on the horizon, with HD games. With a whole new generation of gamers to go along with it.
What does Iwata do for the next Nintendo console? He makes a motion control console. Not a bad idea.
But what else does he do?
He makes it standard definition while everyone else is in HD.

He also, practically kills every Nintendo series that wasn't a major money maker, or super kid friendly.
This means we saw the end of Earthbound, Metroid, and Starfox and other great series.

Nintendo needs a new president who can take the company out of the dust. Someone who actually has a grasp on who the audience gamers are nowadays. Someone who isn't afraid to bring back a game that hasn't seen the light in over 10 years.

So please, share your thoughts. Is Nintendo in need of a new president? Or is Iwata fine as he is?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There was no Metroid game in the N64 era.

Edit: For Starfox...since when are rail shooters popular now-a-days?

Edit 2: Earthound dying was the decision of IT'S creator, not Nintendo. He felt the story was complete.

Giygas was the main villain of the first 2 games, and he's dead. Porky is also gone.

They left the story complete

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
There was no Metroid game in the N64 era.

Edit: For Starfox...since when are rail shooters popular now-a-days?
For Metroid, I know there wasn't a game, but it was still pretty Relavent as it was established as a main Nintendo series

As for Starfox, it not that Rail-shooters are popular, but a new Starfox would sell well considering the high demand for it.
Also, it doesn't have to be a rail shooter, it could be an open world game using the "all range mode" from sections of Starfox64.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
How is Metroid any different now?

Maybe it's just YOUR perception that has changed on Metroid.

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
I've seen several people say that Iwata should be fired and Reggie should be fired, but not one of them ever mentioned a suitable replacement. The status quo isn't great, but is it really that bad that we should risk it all by appointing a person from the board of directors that we've never heard about?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I've seen several people say that Iwata should be fired and Reggie should be fired, but not one of them ever mentioned a suitable replacement. The status quo isn't great, but is it really that bad that we should risk it all by appointing a person from the board of directors that we've never heard about?
I don't see why Reggie should be replaced. He didn't really make any bad decisions that I know of.

As for a suitable replacement for the main president of Nintendo,
Shigeru Miyamoto.
I'm pretty sure he will lead Nintendo to victory, considering he saved Video games in the 80s

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
As for a suitable replacement for the main president of Nintendo,
Shigeru Miyamoto.
I'm pretty sure he will lead Nintendo to victory, considering he saved Video games in the 80s
I don't see how Miyamoto would be any more successful than Iwata. He has let the Mario series become stale in recent years outside of the Galaxy games. He could revive Star Fox and F-Zero if he wanted to, but he won't for some reason. His newest IP is Steel Diver, which is unsuccessful.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I don't see how Miyamoto would be any more successful than Iwata. He has let the Mario series become stale in recent years outside of the Galaxy games. He could revive Star Fox and F-Zero if he wanted to, but he won't for some reason. His newest IP is Steel Diver, which is unsuccessful.
Well that's because Miyamoto wasn't in control of the Mario series.
If he was at the helm of Nintendo, it would be pretty good!
He could be reviving StarFox and F-Zero, nothing says he isn't. By the looks of sales and stuff, it would be logical for him to be doing so.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
He could be reviving StarFox and F-Zero, nothing says he isn't. By the looks of sales and stuff, it would be logical for him to be doing so.
Looking at the sales of star fox and f-zero, do you think it would be?

I think the star fox and f-zero fans are more a loud minority than the majority of Nintendo owners

JediLink

Smash Ace
The only good things that came out of next gen metroid was the other m orchestrated ridley theme and prime 2 & 3
But not Prime 1 AKA the best one?

I don't know if Shiggy is president material. I mean, remember what he did to Sticker Star. That worries me.

Whoever thought the Wii U was a good idea definitely does not deserve their job. If that was Iwata, then yes, new president is needed.

Justin Bailey

Smash Cadet
Shigeru Miyamoto has turned down the president position a few times if I recall correctly.

As for franchises dying, I'm still waiting for a new Joy Mech Fight and Star Tropics.

Mega Dunsparce

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3695-1145-1866
But not Prime 1 AKA the best one?

I don't know if Shiggy is president material. I mean, remember what he did to Sticker Star. That worries me.

Whoever thought the Wii U was a good idea definitely does not deserve their job. If that was Iwata, then yes, new president is needed.
Talkin bout wii though I do agree with you

C3CC

Smash Lord
Reggie hasn't done anything bad. He has done his job at Nintendo of America very well. The main decisions come from Nintendo of Japan, so yes, Iwata HAS to be fired. We need someone new, young, with fresh ideas to take over. Iwata seems to think that the industry is still the same as in 20 years ago, hence why Nintendo is always a step behind its competitors in terms of giving the general public what they want.

F-Zero MUST be revived someday, for God's sake!!

Mega Dunsparce

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3695-1145-1866
Reggie hasn't done anything bad. He has done his job at Nintendo of America very well. The main decisions come from Nintendo of Japan, so yes, Iwata HAS to be fired. We need someone new, young, with fresh ideas to take over. Iwata seems to think that the industry is still the same as in 20 years ago, hence why Nintendo is always a step behind its competitors in terms of giving the general public what they want.

F-Zero MUST be revived someday, for God's sake!!
YESSS!

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I really miss Hiroshi Yamauchi. I would say "fire Iwata", or at least have him change positions with someone else, but I couldn't come up with anyone good. Whatever the case, though it's nice the Wii U can handle last gen's games, if it can't handle what the PS4/XBOX One can do, then the Wii U might be in some serious trouble (keyword, "might"). Nintendo really needs to step up their game and focus on the hardcore fanbase.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Iwata didn't kill Star Fox Rare and Namco did. Adventures and Assault should never have been things. Also, I seem to remember reading somewhere that Miyamoto felt that F-Zero had run it's course after GX. Tbh Nintendo has not been making bad games, sure Iwata has made some questionable decisions, but for the most part their games have still been at the level of quality we've come to expect from them save for a few exceptions (Brawl, and Skyward Sword are some bad ones that come to mind) and at the end of the day the games are the only thing that really matters. If they started going down the same road as Square Enix before Yosuke Matsuda took over (i.e. consistently making ****ty games), then I'd say that Iwata would have to go, but fortunately that hasn't happened.

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
You have to take in account he created the successful DS line and the Wii. Why were they successful? They catered to casuals in the moment before smartphones took over (except the 3DS, that's doing well on it's own merits). Now they need to cater towards the Nintendo fans and so called "hardcore gamers". Iwata seems stuck in the past and it's evident in some of Nintendo's business decisions. There's a new audience for several franchises - for example with a little marketing a Star Tropics revival could do well on the 3DS.

The new news baffled me about the pay cuts. Iwata deserved to be paid less as he has been doing a bad job at managing the company, but not Miyamoto. He still is a major hit-maker. Iwata is stuck in the past, as I stated before. The newer IPs aren't even marketed or paid attention to. Dillion and Steeldiver? Left in the dust. Pushmo (Pullblox) and Pikmin? All but abandoned. They need new blood in the company, they can't just rely on Sakura and Miyamoto to produce hits.

My point is the little kiddies and soccer moms have moved on to smartphones and tablets. Minor decisions show Nintendo's still latched on to them. The Wii U's name, gimmick, and even things like logo and the blue cases for games show this. Who's left now to buy your products? The gamers that like shooters and MMORPGs, the ones who want F-Zero, Star Fox, and realistic Zelda, diehard fans who love your games no matter if they are Earthbound or Mario, and the gamers who chose Xbox or Playstation because your weak, gimmicky little console under performs and has few games they are interested in. Wake up Nintendo, and don't ever turn to smart devices, you'll be in the crapper before you can blink.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
You have to take in account he created the successful DS line and the Wii. Why were they successful? They catered to casuals in the moment before smartphones took over (except the 3DS, that's doing well on it's own merits). Now they need to cater towards the Nintendo fans and so called "hardcore gamers". Iwata seems stuck in the past and it's evident in some of Nintendo's business decisions. There's a new audience for several franchises - for example with a little marketing a Star Tropics revival could do well on the 3DS.

The new news baffled me about the pay cuts. Iwata deserved to be paid less as he has been doing a bad job at managing the company, but not Miyamoto. He still is a major hit-maker. Iwata is stuck in the past, as I stated before. The newer IPs aren't even marketed or paid attention to. Dillion and Steeldiver? Left in the dust. Pushmo (Pullblox) and Pikmin? All but abandoned. They need new blood in the company, they can't just rely on Sakura and Miyamoto to produce hits.

My point is the little kiddies and soccer moms have moved on to smartphones and tablets. Minor decisions show Nintendo's still latched on to them. The Wii U's name, gimmick, and even things like logo and the blue cases for games show this. Who's left now to buy your products? The gamers that like shooters and MMORPGs, the ones who want F-Zero, Star Fox, and realistic Zelda, diehard fans who love your games no matter if they are Earthbound or Mario, and the gamers who chose Xbox or Playstation because your weak, gimmicky little console under performs and has few games they are interested in. Wake up Nintendo, and don't ever turn to smart devices, you'll be in the crapper before you can blink.
You do realize Pikmin 3 just came out a few months ago, and Dillon just got a sequel pretty recently too right?

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I am not sure how reliable this source is but an article in Gaming Blend stated the following, as of yesterday.

""Nikkei's article contains information previously stated by Mr. Iwata during past press conferences, including statements which relate to Nintendo's willingness to make use of smart devices to promote our products.

However during such past announcements Mr. Iwata has also stated that Nintendo's intention is not to make Nintendo software available on smart devices and as such, we can confirm that there are no plans to offer mini-games on smartphone devices. "

To see the full article, please click this link: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Nintendo-Making-Mini-Game-Apps-Smartphones-61927.html

I see where he's coming from, but at the same time Nintendo has a ridiculous amount of things it could deliver spinoffs for. Like a motion-sensing gyroscope controller FZero, or even a Metroid Prime pinball remake. Or frickin some Kirby game where he needs to eat fruit but not bombs. When you think about it, a smartphone game formula isn't that hard to catch on to. You come up with some free game with enough content, make it addicting, and then have a lot of crap for DLC that costs money Technical limitations aside, why not make apps that both function on the WiiU/3DS and smartphones? There are numerous, numerous options Nintendo has in this market, especially considering some of the crap that is out there already. That being said, there is definitely competition in the market, but Nintendo could definitely profit. If you want to see an excellent example of the formula I talked about, see the mobile game Cytus, which is an amazing game.

All in all, you know what I want most? I want new 2D Mario. Not this 2.5D stuff which is nice, I mean like new Super Mario All-Stars, with 16-bit music and graphics. Retro fans would go nuts.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I am not sure how reliable this source is but an article in Gaming Blend stated the following, as of yesterday.

""Nikkei's article contains information previously stated by Mr. Iwata during past press conferences, including statements which relate to Nintendo's willingness to make use of smart devices to promote our products.

However during such past announcements Mr. Iwata has also stated that Nintendo's intention is not to make Nintendo software available on smart devices and as such, we can confirm that there are no plans to offer mini-games on smartphone devices. "

To see the full article, please click this link: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Nintendo-Making-Mini-Game-Apps-Smartphones-61927.html

I see where he's coming from, but at the same time Nintendo has a ridiculous amount of things it could deliver spinoffs for. Like a motion-sensing gyroscope controller FZero, or even a Metroid Prime pinball remake. Or frickin some Kirby game where he needs to eat fruit but not bombs. When you think about it, a smartphone game formula isn't that hard to catch on to. You come up with some free game with enough content, make it addicting, and then have a lot of crap for DLC that costs money Technical limitations aside, why not make apps that both function on the WiiU/3DS and smartphones? There are numerous, numerous options Nintendo has in this market, especially considering some of the crap that is out there already. That being said, there is definitely competition in the market, but Nintendo could definitely profit. If you want to see an excellent example of the formula I talked about, see the mobile game Cytus, which is an amazing game.

All in all, you know what I want most? I want new 2D Mario. Not this 2.5D stuff which is nice, I mean like new Super Mario All-Stars, with 16-bit music and graphics. Retro fans would go nuts.
There has definitely never been a 2.5D Mario game. 3D character models in a side-scroller does not equal 2.5D. The New Super Mario series doesn't actually have changing perspectives which is what it would need to be 2.5D.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
There has definitely never been a 2.5D Mario game. 3D character models in a side-scroller does not equal 2.5D. The New Super Mario series doesn't actually have changing perspectives which is what it would need to be 2.5D.
Shoot, I forgot about that, forgive me. I meant a purely 2-D Mario game, without the use of any 3-D models. Think along the lines of Super Mario World or really any of the All-Star remakes. That's what I meant.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Shoot, I forgot about that, forgive me. I meant a purely 2-D Mario game, without the use of any 3-D models. Think along the lines of Super Mario World or really any of the All-Star remakes. That's what I meant.
Idk, I think the New Super Mario series is fine, they aren't the most innovatice games, but they're all fun and incredibly well-designed, the graphics are like the least important aspect of a platformer, so I don't see why it matters.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Yes. I don't expect those serieses to continue.
That's a completely baseless statement, but even so did you ever think maybe they don't need to? Sometimes over-saturation can be detrimental to a series.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Idk, I think the New Super Mario series is fine, they aren't the most innovatice games, but they're all fun and incredibly well-designed, the graphics are like the least important aspect of a platformer, so I don't see why it matters.
I suppose physics plays an aspect in it as well. They just feel different to me.

I mean really, it's more of a want more than anything, I feel like there's not enough demand to warrant such a game. Nostalgia fans would love it.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I suppose physics plays an aspect in it as well. They just feel different to me.

I mean really, it's more of a want more than anything, I feel like there's not enough demand to warrant such a game. Nostalgia fans would love it.
Well that's what we have indie games and ROM hacks for.

C3CC

Smash Lord
Tbh Nintendo has not been making bad games, sure Iwata has made some questionable decisions, but for the most part their games have still been at the level of quality we've come to expect from them save for a few exceptions (Brawl, and Skyward Sword are some bad ones that come to mind)
Can you please elaborate on this? Why do you think Brawl is bad?

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion

I agree, The soccer moms and casuals have moved on, now it's time for Nintendo to focus on the fans and the core gamers, who knows maybe the Nintendo Fusion could be hardcore oriented

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Can you please elaborate on this? Why do you think Brawl is bad?
I'll just make a list of reasons as they come to mind.
-Meta Knight
-Tripping
-Multiple air-dodges
-Magnet ledge-grabs
-Not enough shield pushback, shields in general are too strong for that matter
-Not enough hit stun for meaningful combos
-Only some aerials auto-cancel either all of them should or none, otherwise what was the point of removing L-cancelling?
-RCO lag
-Knockback decay
That's about all I can think of at the moment.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
-Meta Knight
-Tripping
-Multiple air-dodges
-Magnet ledge-grabs
-Only some aerials auto-cancel either all of them should or none, otherwise what was the point of removing L-cancelling?
-RCO lag
-Knockback decay
Did you forget the invasion of clones

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Did you forget the invasion of clones
I think you're confusing Brawl with Melee. There are no clones in Brawl.

Edit: Secret characters is another thing I hate about Smash in general and many other fighting games for that matter though recently some series' have been getting better about not having them, I suppose having to unlock characters is better than having them be DLC, but honestly there's no reason that every character shouldn't be available from the start.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
-Meta Knight
-Tripping
-Multiple air-dodges
-Magnet ledge-grabs
-RCO lag
-Knockback decay
But this is from a competitive viewpoint. Do you think the game excels when viewing it from a noncompetitive, party game viewpoint?

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
But this is from a competitive viewpoint. Do you think the game excels when viewing it from a noncompetitive, party game viewpoint?
No because it's a fighting game, if I go to a party and they have video games I would be expecting stuff like Mario Kart, Singstar, Rock Band, DDR, or Mario Party, and even so I still think Brawl's slow pace is boring, even if I'm just playing for fun I'd rather play Melee, if I wanted to play a slow paced game I'd play an RPG or a Strategy game.

Edit: I feel as though I should make this disclaimer before this conversation gets out of hand. If you like Brawl that's fine, I haven nothing against fans of the game or people who play it competitively in fact I'm friends with a lot of pro Brawl players and I think they're awesome people and players, it's just not my type of game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom