• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is necessary to buy a Smash Controller for enter to competitive Melee?

P1ano

Smash Rookie
I want to ask if I have to buy a Smash controller for enter to competitive Melee, because I have heard that you can play with at least an official Nintendo Gamecube Controller, but I play a lot better with a $4.25 controller that I buyed on eBay (yes, it is Made in China). So guys, Can I play with that $4.25 controller on competitive Melee or I have to buy a Nintendo Gamecube Controller or a Smash Bros Gamecube Controller?

DDRC

Smash Apprentice
You can play on a third party controller although i HIGHLY recommend just getting used to an official gamecube controller, most people would argue the game is nearly unplayable without one and it could hinder your progress greatly. (i assume the controller you are using is a third party gamecube controller, if not its kind of up to tournament organisers, but once again i really recommend just getting used to an official gamecube controller)

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I'd assume you can go with a 3rd party, but using an official one will get you much further. There are reasons why players go with an official GameCube controller. You're essentially working with cheaper equipment that is going to break very easily and soon, where a official one will last much longer. It's better to get used to the feel of the official as that's most likely where you are going to improve gameplay on. With what you're claiming as being better on a cheap 3rd party controller is already a bad sign.

But if you don't really care then I guess go for it. I can't really stop you from doing it.

P1ano

Smash Rookie
Hi, thanks for your reply. But what is a third party controller? Sorry for that noobie question. My Controller is an orange Cirka Controller, The R and L buttons are a lot harder that an original controllers, but I do not know why I like that feeling of the hard buttons. Anyway, what do you think?
You can play on a third party controller although i HIGHLY recommend just getting used to an official gamecube controller, most people would argue the game is nearly unplayable without one and it could hinder your progress greatly. (i assume the controller you are using is a third party gamecube controller, if not its kind of up to tournament organisers, but once again i really recommend just getting used to an official gamecube controller)

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Hi, thanks for your reply. But what is a third party controller? Sorry for that noobie question. My Controller is an orange Cirka Controller, The R and L buttons are a lot harder that an original controllers, but I do not know why I like that feeling of the hard buttons. Anyway, what do you think?
Basically a 3rd party controller is anything but an official controller. Cirka, Generic, Poulep are pretty much the same controller and are all bad.

And for that hard press, do you mean it's quicker to press down? Because if that's so then there are solutions to help official GC controllers press quicker or get some preference you're looking for.

DDRC

Smash Apprentice
A third party controller is a controller with a gamecube style not made by nintendo.

Top Bottom