• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is learning Toon Link worth it?

_DarkLava

Smash Cadet
This is your answer
Yeah but Olimar seems really fun to use. And he's garbage, so I'm not going to use him.

I'm more or less asking, for Toon Link's strengths and weaknesses, from the Toon Link community. What does he have trouble with? What does he excel at?

Isnt

Smash Rookie
Yeah but Olimar seems really fun to use. And he's garbage, so I'm not going to use him.

I'm more or less asking, for Toon Link's strengths and weaknesses, from the Toon Link community. What does he have trouble with? What does he excel at?

If only I had videos to show you of all the times my friends Olimar stomped my face into the dirt. Nobody thinks he's good because he has one of the highest learning curves of any character, with the least reward. Other than, ya'know, getting to decimate people with the worst character in Project M. Hah

Seriously though, you probably won't have to face a good olimar ever. But the constant meet shields will ruin your life as toon link.

As for Tink. He's super responsive and just feels good to play. Strengths, I would have to say his kickin' projectile game, just a super stylish character to play, fairly mobile, with the Aerial Glide Tossing, pivot arrows/boomerangs. Oh, and his recovery kinda sucks, but it sucks in three different ways! You have recovery options! Standard Up B, Air dodge to tether, and bomb jumping!
He has a few great kill moves, and a good cast of moves that will open enemies up for those kill moves. Mainly projectiles.

Most of his combos are within 2-3 consecutive hits and don't usually kill. Although I have one that can end in a down tilt spike off a stage. Very rarely can I use it though. (His down tilt spikes, how awesome is that?)

A lot of playing Tink is reacting to the enemy, hitting them once or twice, and repeating that. But he has a lot of approach options too.

Weaknesses would have to be his very lackluster vertical priority. So If you're fighting anyone who jumps a lot, expect to have some problems. That's where you switch to zoning though.

His combos are awkward and his regular A chain doesn't have much hitstun. I've had people attacking/dodging/shielding me out of my A chain. And the third hit, at-least for me never hits, as the first two usually knock the player up and away slightly.

Overall he's a good all-around character to have fun with.

Last edited:

steakhouse

Smash Apprentice
Yeah but Olimar seems really fun to use. And he's garbage
source ?

Real answer :

Toon Link is my favorite character to play because in my opinion he has the most options of any thanks to AGT mostly. You can be soooooooooooo creative with AGT bombs, that any one player can approach in like 20 different ways in neutral.

You *could* play Young Toon Link (ie runaway tink) to probably get the best results, but aggro Tink is just so ****ing fun. Bombs away and hookshot deez *******.

Tink (well, my Tink) hates spotdodges though, as his 10-frame grab is his best combo starter, extender and finisher (throw to up B is sooooper good) but is also extremely punishable.

Here are a few sooper good things with tink :

Jab->Jab->Dsmash / Upair / Upsmash / Grab (depending on SDI and weight class)

Bomb -> Backair -> Backair -> Up-B

Vs. Fast and semi-fast fallers : Up-throw -> Jab -> regrab > up-throw -> up tilt -> uptilt -> upsmash -> Upair -> Up-B (this is a zero to death if you get the whole string)

Upthrow onto platform -> waveland -> upsmash (dont grab, too punishable)

Bomb -> Fsmash (aka cheese smash)

Fsmash onto ledge vs. people who are ****ty at sweetspotting will always net you a kill

Running ledgecancel grounded up-B is the safest way to grab edge and will hit sweetspotters with the aerial hitbox of the up B

Play him, you'll love him.

Btw this is a game its always worth to learn new chars

Hyruled

Banned via Warnings
NNID
NSGHoenn90
Is Toon Link worth using. He seems really fun to use.
Oh god please pick up toon link. He's awesome, with amazing combos, projectile game second to none, and at least ten finishers. Toon Link is amazing! :3

AndrogynousOkami

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5086-2412-4203
"Do I want to?"

"Will it help me improve as a player?"

If the answer to either one of the above questions is "Yes", then do it. Honestly, there aren't a lot of factors to restrict who you play in Project M.

Top Bottom