• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Kirby that bad?

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Seriously. Why is Kirby last on the tier list?

I mean, he's not a fantastic character, but I'd say he's pretty mediocre, not terrible.

He has a decent recovery. He has decent speed. He has interesting air mobility.

Literally all his tilts are good.
All his aerials are decent. His back air is incredibly versatile.
His grab has good range. His throws suck but this still is a good tool.
Kirbycide!

Yes, he does not have good stage control. But he can gimp to make up for this. He doesn't especially need the center of the stage, his weight makes it where it basically doesn't matter where he is in terms of living longer.

I don't have much experience but he may win against Ganondorf. He has an okay matchup against Falcon from what I've seen. He can combo and gimp spacies.

Triple RRR has gone pretty far with him in tournaments. Why do most of you act like he's garbage? I don't get why he is last on the tier list.

Diana's Safe Landing

Smash Apprentice
His recovery is actually pretty bad, final cutter is like a ten times worse verion of marth's dolphin slash and even with his multiple jumps he has a lot of trouble. His speed is also pretty lack luster..

His kirbycide is really bad in this game, you can mash out of it midthrow and you can mash out of his swallocide. It doenst help that its easier to mash out at low percent where he would want the gimps.

And if I remember right his weight leaves him pretty prone to die off the top.

He defintely has some tools, like his amazing utilt and good bair/uair. But he's missing a lot of pieces. IMO he is better than Pichu but who really cares anyway lol

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
True, it's a pathetic version of cutter, but kirby does have more horizontal range to make up for it. Still not very good but not bad.

If you swallow someone off stage and they try to mash out, it helps you kill them. :p

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
Does being on the bottom of the list mean that Kirby is a bad character? Not at all, Kirby is a great character. Too often I see the tier list define what is "good" and what is "bad". If you think Kirby should get higher placing, then play Kirby.

This is all coming from a Pichu main, so take it as you please.

Max?

Smash Champion
Kirby is pretty bad. He dies at super low %'s, is combo food, has a horrible recovery, no real KO moves, all of his kirbycides are gimmicks, I could go on. Feel free to use him, but the amount of time needed to make him semi-viable could be applied to a good character and you would see immediate better results.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Dies at low percentage:
True
Is combo food:
Not really. He does get comboed but not as bad as many characters some of which are way higher on the tier list
Recovery:
I would say his recovery is better than Doc, Mario, Bowser, DK, Falco, Ness, Game and Watch, and Roy. That's not terrible
No KO moves:
Pretty true. He does have uair, bair, ftilt, and dsmash though
Kirbycide:
Also true but swallow can be used in creative ways people won't expect

Absolutely agree with time issue. That's why I don't main Kirby except for some good matchups.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
When I play Kirby, my strategy consists of Bair until death. I found a neat little thing that if you're on the edge, fall a little, and use Final Cutter, you can be kinda a ****, but it gets stale quickly so I only use it if I'm desperate.
The tier list is viability in competitive scene. That takes into account SHFFL, Wavedash, L-Cancel, Combo-abiliy, etc.

Im Fragbait

Smash Apprentice
Seriously. Why is Kirby last on the tier list?

I mean, he's not a fantastic character, but I'd say he's pretty mediocre, not terrible.

He has a decent recovery. He has decent speed. He has interesting air mobility.

Literally all his tilts are good.
All his aerials are decent. His back air is incredibly versatile.
His grab has good range. His throws suck but this still is a good tool.
Kirbycide!

Yes, he does not have good stage control. But he can gimp to make up for this. He doesn't especially need the center of the stage, his weight makes it where it basically doesn't matter where he is in terms of living longer.

I don't have much experience but he may win against Ganondorf. He has an okay matchup against Falcon from what I've seen. He can combo and gimp spacies.

Triple RRR has gone pretty far with him in tournaments. Why do most of you act like he's garbage? I don't get why he is last on the tier list.

OMG NO HES AWFUL HONESTLY THIS IS THE ONLY CHARACTER IN THE GAME WITH ABSOLUTELY NO HOPE....

ABANDON ALL HOPE KIRBY MAINS ... ALL FOUR OF YOU :kirby:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
Dies at low percentage:
True
Is combo food:
Not really. He does get comboed but not as bad as many characters some of which are way higher on the tier list
others being worse does not make him better.
Recovery:
I would say his recovery is better than Doc, Mario, Bowser, DK, Falco, Ness, Game and Watch, and Roy. That's not terrible
no, you can just hit him out of whatever he does. saying his recovery is better than falco and roy isn't saying much either. all the other characters i would argue have better recovery (falco's walljumps and shortens are his justification fyi).
No KO moves:
Pretty true. He does have uair, bair, ftilt, and dsmash though
yeah the only thing that really kos at all out of those listed is bair, and don't forget f smash (it's not good but better than most of those).
Kirbycide:
Also true but swallow can be used in creative ways people won't expect
so in other words, ways that people don't care about because they're not as good as kirbycide.

Absolutely agree with time issue. That's why I don't main Kirby except for some good matchups.
comments in bolded blue

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
To your responses:

Actually it does :p This is a tier list based around other matchups
All the moves I listed have good kill power if sweet spotted (sour spotted with downsmash, edgeguarding)
Unused aspects of a metagame should never be ignored because some parts are better lol And most those creative uses are sett ups for kirbycide

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
To your responses:

Actually it does :p This is a tier list based around other matchups
All the moves I listed have good kill power if sweet spotted (sour spotted with downsmash, edgeguarding)
Unused aspects of a metagame should never be ignored because some parts are better lol And most those creative uses are sett ups for kirbycide
i think you need to review what kill power is. mario f smash killing at 100-110 on battlefield is decent kill power. kirby down smash taking most characters out at around 145 (i'm being generous here) - 170 is not kill power. i guess it's okay on yoshi's though but then again anything that has decent vertical knockback is better on yoshi's so it doesn't matter too much. oh and btw since you're kirby, i wouldn't be going on about unused stuff because other stuff is better, because the other stuff really isn't that good in the first place aside from up tilt and bair. btw if you really want to prove a point, just list something that reliably leads to kirbycide.

Last edited:

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Short answer: Yes.
Long answer: Absolutely.

But regardless he's still one of the most fun characters in the game, imo.

SSS

Smash Ace
if you think he's not terrible, get good with him and win stuff

although it's really hard to get good at a bad character without admitting they're bad and working around their faults.

still though, if you like him the most out of all of the characters stick with him.

people's mentality, I swear.

EternalSucc

Smash Rookie
In my opinion, As a Used-To-Be Kirby Main, I see him now as a starting character for most new and beginning players. Also how I see him now: A Spam-Type Character. Of course, he is an okay recovery when it comes to being next to the blast zone, but his Up-B can just be so annoying when Kirby is right next to your Character, Spamming Up-B and Flying high only to use the very powerful and Demonic Down-B. In some of the newer entries of the SSB Franchise, Kirby's F-Smash does quite the normal damage any Smash would. I don't exactly enjoy having another player choose Kirby when fighting against me, as it's not really that fun to have to repeatedly attempt to get out of Kirby's Powerful Grasp of Special Moves...

Though again, Kirby is perfect for newer and beginning Characters. I believe Kirby is bad only because he is a very good character to use.

Also when I mean he's bad only because he's good, I mean that in future times of newer players, Kirby doesn't exactly fit in as sophisticated and the player finds newer characters that suit their play-style.

Last edited:

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
*Responder to thread thinks this is a post about Ultimate when it's a post about Melee*

Top Bottom