• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is King Dedede higher tier in ultimate?

Where would you place Dedede on the tier list in SSBU, given the current information?

• S tier

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • A tier

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • B tier

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • C tier (C+ in Brawl)

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • E tier

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • F tier

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • G tier (Smash 4)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
So I know there is an official buff discussion thread, but I would like to see the general opinion on tier placement.

When I say higher tier, I don't mean high tier as in S rank, more like lower A rank/higher B rank. After the initial direct and the character trailers were revealed, it was also found that King Dedede received a huge buff. Overall, most characters had a reduce/increase in end lag on their attacks to meet complaints about inescapable combos (Mario and Bayo), and slower attacks and huge end lag were the only reasons why Dedede was considered low tier. He simply lacked a viable neutral game. However, in Dedede's character trailer, he can be seen stringing together back air--which also has a buff, since the animation is now in tune with the hitbox--to up tilt, and then following it up with a grab. This was all just one exampleof Dedede's new true combo game, which greatly improves his only hampering weakness, which is his poor neutral game.

The gordo was also buffed. The hitbox size was increased and no longer decreases in size as time passes. But what's more important is that King Dedede can now swallow and spit out his gordos again. Being able to do this gives Dedede an entirely new way to gain stage control, spacing, meddle with your opponent and even possibly reset neutral against an opponent with bad responses to the gordos.

Furthermore, Dedede can reverse his down tilt from the direction that he's facing. This is a great option if Dedede finds himself crouching at the wrong time or if the player originally wanted to down tilt but decided that it was a bad idea. Rather than risking attacking or becoming vulnerable by getting up, Dedede can now space himself from his opponent better, improving his neutral game even further.

With all of this in mind--as well as the general nerfing of high tiers, I think it's safe to say that King Dedede will shoot up on the tier list, since he no longer has a hampering weakness. He's hard to launch, a hard hitter, has a crazy down throw game, is great a edge guarding and gaining stage control, and now he finally has a neutral game.

(Also in Dedede's trailer I noticed that Lucina's counter seemed to last shorter. A nerf, possibly?)

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Mogisthelioma Mogisthelioma

I hate to be that kinda guy, but it's gonna be real hard to speculate on Dedede's tier placement when we don't even have a demo build of the game where he's playable. All we have are some little snippets of footage where Dedede is just doing things for the sake of doing them on-screen.

However I'm not opposed to the idea of talking about it, though this should probably be rolled into the official buff discussion thread, tbh.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
too early to see.

Right now, by Smash4 Standards I would say B Tier. however thats Smash4 standard, now in Ultimate everyone is pretty much buffed so its everyones race at the moment.

one thing you should add to dedede: His Inhale can Inhale and spit out other projectiles! not just the Gordo!
(look at K.Rools Trailer, you can see Dedede spitting out the Cannonball)

Fibberkick

Smash Cadet
He's G for sure but i'm gonna be that guy and put F i just don't see him being better then F if Zaki and the other dedede's keep putting in work (Dedede is a better character over all of course) Man i'm being super optimistic right now but if i had to blunt G for sure

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
He could be so much better if they got rid of useless Jet Hammer and gave him Waddle Dee Toss again (so he can have Gordo setups and Waddle Dee's general usefulness) and made up tilt a kill move again. But the former is already disconfirmed and the latter is extremely unlikely.

D

Deleted member

I wish he was.
Did you know that dedede is actually the best character in smash
He’s nowhere near the best character, but he’s right in the middle. I’m pretty happy with D3, he stands a chance against most of the cast.

D

Deleted member

No, I meant the entire roster overall. Like he is around the dead center of the tier list out of 77 characters.

Dr. Corndog

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DrCecilCorndog
No, I meant the entire roster overall. Like he is around the dead center of the tier list out of 77 characters.
Well, if he's the only one, then he's the best character by default, right? In fact, I can list at least six reasons why DeDeDe is the best character.

1. Giant hammer
2. Blue penguin
3. CLOBBAHS his opponents.
4. He's blue
5. He's the king of Dreamland
6. He doesn't spam grenades 24/7

DeDeDe SSS++ times infinity tier confirmed.

D

Deleted member

In taunts, he is clearly superior to everyone else. SS tier for sure. :)
That I can't deny.
In competitive gameplay (tournaments), he's pretty good. Not the best, but pretty good (B tier?)

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
In taunts, he is clearly superior to everyone else. SS tier for sure. :)
That I can't deny.
In competitive gameplay (tournaments), he's pretty good. Not the best, but pretty good (B tier?)
I'd say B- or C+ so far, he simply doesn't have enough tournament data to make a solid case.

D

Deleted member

I checked out some of Big D and zaki’s games. They looked pretty good :)

Dr. Corndog

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DrCecilCorndog
I'd say B- or C+ so far, he simply doesn't have enough tournament data to make a solid case.
He seems to be gaining traction, though. A few weeks ago I would rarely see a D3 player when I searched YouTube. Now it seems that every time someone uploads tourney vids, there's another new DeDeDe player.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Most times I’d see the Gordo throw and attempted combos being put in place (and every time they go off the stage, D3 players use the Super Dedede jump rather than use midair jumps to get back on stage).
Sometimes I’d see forward smashes here and there, maybe even Dedede rolling.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
He seems to be gaining traction, though. A few weeks ago I would rarely see a D3 player when I searched YouTube. Now it seems that every time someone uploads tourney vids, there's another new DeDeDe player.
True. I've seen a few tournament matches when I was surprised to admit that Dedede seemed to have a natural advantage over whomever he was up against. It seems that fighters such as Sonic, Incineroar, or ZSS have trouble playing around some of Dedede's new advantages.

D

Deleted member

True. I've seen a few tournament matches when I was surprised to admit that Dedede seemed to have a natural advantage over whomever he was up against. It seems that fighters such as Sonic, Incineroar, or ZSS have trouble playing around some of Dedede's new advantages.
I found out that if you push Chrom/Ike off the ledge, Dedede can use his Jet Hammer and deal heavy damage or KO you. This is from Big D playing in a Grand Finals Match against Ouch.

D

Deleted member

I saw that Zero placed Dedede in the low-mid tier category, leaning towards the bottom 60s category. I feel like Dedede has great matchups against Fire Emblem categories, shown in when Big D plays against Ike, Roy and Chrom against Ouch. I feel that he should be high-mid tier, near the 40s range. While he still suffers from being susceptible to combos, his gordoes having smaller hitboxes, startup on some attacks, and bad mobility, we can't deny he's clearly much better than SSB4.

I like to look at his great edgeguarding abilities against certain characters, his great punishes, his moveset is a lot faster and more dangerous, and he can effectively combo with the grab + up aerial.

Top Bottom