• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

is K.Rool's gut check even worth using?

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
i ask because i can only recall one time where his counter came in handly the rest of the time my opponent's too quick for me to counter the attack in time

it's just there for me to wonder...am i ever gonna need this?

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice
Its as useful as any other counter really, except it also reflects projectiles, making it hilariously good against the likes of a spammy Mewtwo or Lucario. Just remember it only covers his belly.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
It also reflects projectiles with a huge multiplayer. I killed Samus at 50% reflecting a full charge shot. Also, it only counters from the front, so you have to time/place it well,

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
As everyone else is saying, I've had great success using it against projectiles because no one sees it coming. That said, in many ways it is worse than other counters due to only activating from the front, all in all, at the end of the day: it's a counter. Not much more to it than that.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Unless your opponent's attack is super-slow, trying to use a counter as a reaction is not gonna work out well. Try learning how to read.

Royta

Smash Journeyman
On reaction it isn't too useful, but is a great tool against overly agressive players for one and works wonders against certain recovery moves like Ike and Chrom's Aether. I mained Roy in Melee and Ike in Brawl, and like those counters, you have to use it sparingly. It is best when the foe has forgotten you even have it and immediately falls for it, but once they fall for it, try not using it again the whole match. They'll play around it, which you can use to your advantage. Fact that you HAVE the move, is already a mental advantage.

maybe.

Smash Cadet
Good against projectiles or if you can get it to land early you can kinda mind game your opponent into playing around it even though you aren't planning on using it anyways.

Kincaid1

Smash Cadet
I've had luck with the kounter by using it immediately upon jumping up onto the ledge. There's also been a couple times where I've run off and used it on someone's recovery and they get ****ed.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
most counter moves just exist to exist...only gonna work against crappy players since You'll usually be fighting characters quicker than you and that means you gotta be quick on the draw to hitting that counter at the right time

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
most counter moves just exist to exist...only gonna work against crappy players since You'll usually be fighting characters quicker than you and that means you gotta be quick on the draw to hitting that counter at the right time
Or... you know... employ some mindgames.

Royta

Smash Journeyman
Ken infamously spammed Counter against PC-Chris in a Grand Finals in Melee, if used right every tool is amazing.

Coyle

Smash Cadet
That said, in many ways it is worse than other counters due to only activating from the front...

Also, it only counters from the front, so you have to time/place it well...

If you tap back when you do the counter he’ll turn around. I came across this tip when looking through the KRool character tips they have in the game. This makes it easier to throw it out when you run past an opponent.

Last edited:

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
If you tap back when you do the counter he’ll turn around. I came across this tip when looking through the KRool character tips they have in the game. This makes it easier to throw it out when you run past an opponent.
Sadly, I believe this only works after the counter has already been triggered, as there is a unique interaction with that. The way it works is that the target will incur heavy hit lag as usual (or their projectile will be reflected if that's what you're countering) but if you're holding the opposite direction, K. Rool will turn around afterward and the shockwave will be directed in his new facing direction.

Coyle

Smash Cadet
Yeah, that's true. The rest of his body is intangible during the same frames his belly can counter, but only his gut will trigger the counter. You can still counter moves that come behind you, but they would need to pass through his back and reach his tum-tum. He'll then turn to counter the move. Mostly I think this just helps with projectiles.

I did however notice something useful to force an edge-guarding scenario: When you're facing an opponent and they hit your counter, they'll be sent flying behind you if you tap backwards before or during hitlag frames. This can be used when baiting at the edge.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
gut check is a pretty lackluster counter and i only see it being useful against people who act recklessly without thinking first

Goddamn_Angela

Smash Cadet
You're still thinking about it as a reaction. Counters should not be used as reactions, as they are not fast enough to out frame most attacks, they should be used when you read what your opponent will do. You are not reacting to what they've done, you are punishing them for what they are going to do. Though, if your opponent reads that you will counter you may get punished for using counter. Its mindgames yo.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
most of the time you can't do that successfully though and it only comes up when the opponent is reckless enough that you can get expect them to do what you want them to do

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Just the existence of the counter in one fighter's kit might completely change the way the opponent fights. That is the truth for me, anyways. I am a very aggressive, in your face player, and I need to be cautious about counters if the fighter I am against has it in their arsenal.

It is not the most useful move, just like VIllager and Isabelle's Pocket, but it has its uses.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Counter can result in 2 different play styles from your opponent, depending how you use it.

-If you only use the counter VERY sparingly, the opponent won't expect it, and it can be used to punish the enemy going for a kill move to score one of your own.
-If you use it very often, the opponent will be hesitant to send out any strong moves. Be aggressive to take advantage of their hesitance, but don't fall for any counter baits.

Of course people won't always react the same way, and there's some in between area here, but counter is an awesome move. It can easily change how an opponent plays against you.

Last edited:

Amity

Sadboi
Switch FC
SW-0822-7258-0511
I have been having really good luck using it against sword characters Up b when they try to recover. I’ve had some very early gimps using it that way

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I have been having really good luck using it against sword characters Up b when they try to recover. I’ve had some very early gimps using it that way
:ultike: especially since you can counter both Aether and Quick Draw if you position yourself right. This can also condition high recoveries with Quick Draw, allowing K. Rool to chase him down and punish.

Amity

Sadboi
Switch FC
SW-0822-7258-0511
:ultike: especially since you can counter both Aether and Quick Draw if you position yourself right. This can also condition high recoveries with Quick Draw, allowing K. Rool to chase him down and punish.
I can agree with this and I have lived this situation ahaha. I feel like gut check is severely under used and has much potential to be a good tool in is kit. Unfortunately me me tho, I sometimes try to fish for it too much ahaha. Idk, I plan on trying to implement in more without being extra obvious -.-

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
It‘s an all Right move to have, in my opinion. As many pointed out already, just the existence of it forces mindgames.

The counter can Act as a really nice Combo-Breaker, though. Just yesterday i turned the Tables Against a Falcon who wanted to finish his Nair string with a Knee...Oh Boy didn‘t that Turn out well for him

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
eh maybe i should think of it more as a mind-game tool from now on
That's how it was meant to be used, yeah.

It's a good move, probably one of the best in his kit, really. Because it both reflects projectiles AND deals counter damage, you can hit enemies with both the projectile AND the counter damage. There's a video floating around of KKR gut checking Mewtwo's shadowball point blank and it kills Mewtwo from 0%.

Earlier today I used it to counter a Falcon knee and it KOed the Falcon. Also used it to send Richter's axe back at him and managed to hit him with it.

Use it enough and you can condition your enemies to try to grab instead at which point you can punish that accordingly as well.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Wanted to bump this and say that gut check is even better now. Those 5 frames less downtime really make a difference.

Gamer Cube

Smash Apprentice
When I use counters, I usually forget about them and play normally. The only times I use it is when I know they're fishing for a smash and I'll basically run into their smash with a counter. Counters can also be used for reads. When I land, sometimes I will immediately counter, but only about once per match. If you can hit it, they usually are going for a heavy hit, and will get it reflected back with a huge multiplier. But it does have a large punish, so it's only good for a mixup, but I can catch most people that try to juggle after a good launch.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
I use it as a makeshift taunt while playing online :laugh:

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
It's worth using. Trust me. It can sometimes be his downfall though. One time, I was using Kirby on an Online Team Battle with a Dedede on my team. When Dedede fired his Gordo (via the Dedede Cannon (also known as Neutral Special).), the K. Rool I was facing (there was also a Dark Pit, but he committed self-deletus. XD) reflected it using his gut check, but I fired a cannon ball at it, so it was sent flying back at K. Rool at Millennium Falcon levels of light speed and it killed him.

Top Bottom