• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it worth it to start in 2018?

SkrrQuavo8

Smash Rookie
I am new to this site and smash in general, but I have been playing smash 4 for the past year or so. By no means am I good, but i would like to think i'm not awful. I've never touched melee before but have seen a lot o gameplay. My question is should i start playing melee this late into the run? With smash ultimate right around the corner and that supposedly having deeper melee-type gameplay, combined with the advanced tech in melee in general, idk if I should bother playing the granddaddy of competitive smash. Thanks, sorry if the grammar is bad.

Synnett

Alligator Lord
I don't think it's ever too late to start. The scene is here and still going strong, and the game is really deep, like chess. If you like to learn new stuff everyday jump in!

Nooodle

Smash Rookie
I just started two months ago, and its been a really great experience. I now have a Wii, a CRT, netplay, and have been to a couple tournaments already, and have interacted with some of the top players of the community. All in all, the community is super friendly, and I have no complaints (other than getting absolutely decimated at the tourneys, however that's expected for a new player lol)

SkrrQuavo8

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the input, I just setup dolphin netplay and ordered a copy of the game to play. Luckily my grandmother still has her 20 year old CRT that I can use.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
I know others have answered but I think the answer is 100% yes, it's still worth it. The thing is, when you play the game isn't as important as the game itself. And despite so much, the game, fundamentally, at the end of the day, doesn't change. Melee will always be melee, whether the year be 2001 or 2018. And if you like melee, you should play it.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I am new to this site and smash in general, but I have been playing smash 4 for the past year or so. By no means am I good, but i would like to think i'm not awful. I've never touched melee before but have seen a lot o gameplay. My question is should i start playing melee this late into the run? With smash ultimate right around the corner and that supposedly having deeper melee-type gameplay, combined with the advanced tech in melee in general, idk if I should bother playing the granddaddy of competitive smash. Thanks, sorry if the grammar is bad.
I can promise you right now Ultimate does not play anything like Melee. This isn't even me hating on the new Smash game, I just don't think it's feasible for them to make a Melee-esque game with the engine they have demo'd so far. Melee is a hard game, but that makes it that much more rewarding to put time into. If you just want to play casually, I would say it's not worth it because you do need to invest a significant amount of time into practicing tech skill, but if you've already played Smash 4 for a year, you probably could get into Melee enough to reach a level of competency where playing the average tournament goer is fun. I'd definitely say it's at least worth a shot since the potential benefits of finding out you love the game are unmatched compared to any other game I've played.

SkrrQuavo8

Smash Rookie
I can promise you right now Ultimate does not play anything like Melee. This isn't even me hating on the new Smash game, I just don't think it's feasible for them to make a Melee-esque game with the engine they have demo'd so far. Melee is a hard game, but that makes it that much more rewarding to put time into. If you just want to play casually, I would say it's not worth it because you do need to invest a significant amount of time into practicing tech skill, but if you've already played Smash 4 for a year, you probably could get into Melee enough to reach a level of competency where playing the average tournament goer is fun. I'd definitely say it's at least worth a shot since the potential benefits of finding out you love the game are unmatched compared to any other game I've played.
This is the perfect answer I was looking for. I think that I will give melee a try, I can't imagine not falling in love with the game.

Last edited:

Jamison

Banned via Warnings
With smash ultimate right around the corner and that supposedly having deeper melee-type gameplay
I honestly don't think it's going to be that much different from Sm4sh. When sm4sh first came out it gave us a promise of being a mix of Melee and Brawl and it was far more on the Brawl side. So a game promising to mix Sm4sh and Melee is likely going to be heavily on the Sm4sh side of things. The gameplay I've seen thus far just makes it look like okay it might be a better version of Sm4sh, but that's it. There's still no reason you can't play both if you happen to enjoy both. But I personally think Melee is just too much fun.

TheGreatEchoes

Smash Rookie
I don't think it's ever too late to try Melee. The competitive scene is still there, and probably always will be. Melee can feel a bit overwhelming for beginners but once you get the hang of it it's an incredibly fun game. Online guides can help when you first start. The way I see it, it looks like Melee won't die until Smash dies, so it's never too late to get in on the fun.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
"The best time to plant a tree was 10 years ago."
"The second best time is right now."

FalcoSBM1990

Smash Cadet
Melee is so iconic, it's becoming a classical competitive game like chess, the depth of Melee is almost infinite.
Melee is an extremely competitive game where you can introduce and express your personality through endless ways of combinations.

Last edited:
Top Bottom