• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it worth it to buy a Wii U (primarily for smash 4)?

Buy a Wii U or wait for possible Switch release?

• Total voters

BaC0nz

Smash Rookie
I wanted to wait and see how the Switch event went. I think my best bet is to buy a Wii U over the the Switch. A few things worry me:
  • Is Wii U online going to still be supported for a few years?
  • Will I get screwed over if Smash makes an appearance on the Switch? I don't want to spend all this money on a Wii U and then have a "deluxe edition" of smash come out with exclusive new characters.
Here are a few reasons why I think this is a good idea:
  • Wii U could drop in price soon, I am looking at a used/refurbished option right now.
  • I am primarily looking to just play smash 4. A few other games look interesting.
  • Wii U online is free. I already have the GameCube adapter.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
  • Is Wii U online going to still be supported for a few years?
  • We don't know yet. It would be best for the players if Wii U players could play with Switch players. This seems somewhat unlikely though, and the Switch release may very well hurt the Wii U online scene significantly. Then again, perhaps it won't.
  • Will I get screwed over if Smash makes an appearance on the Switch? I don't want to spend all this money on a Wii U and then have a "deluxe edition" of smash come out with exclusive new characters
  • We don't know yet, but you might be.
  • Wii U could drop in price soon, I am looking at a used/refurbished option right now.
  • If it's cheap it's not too much of an investment, and there are some other games worth playing, such as Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. It's possible some of those games will be ported or remade for the Switch though.
So, basically, we don't really know yet. You could potentially get a pretty good deal buying it used with a few games though.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
At this point, we do not know anything about if a Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch is planned to be made. And the Wii U is nearing its end, so you may run into trouble once the retail stores stop selling Wii U systems.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I'd wait to find out if there will be a smash 4 port on the switch unless you plan on getting other games for the wii u

BaC0nz

Smash Rookie
  • We don't know yet. It would be best for the players if Wii U players could play with Switch players. This seems somewhat unlikely though, and the Switch release may very well hurt the Wii U online scene significantly. Then again, perhaps it won't.
  • We don't know yet, but you might be.
  • If it's cheap it's not too much of an investment, and there are some other games worth playing, such as Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. It's possible some of those games will be ported or remade for the Switch though.
So, basically, we don't really know yet. You could potentially get a pretty good deal buying it used with a few games though.
Thank you for answering all my questions. I guess it would really be up to me if I wanted to take the risk and buy a Wii U. Nobody knows how long of wait it will be till we get smash on the Switch.

I'd wait to find out if there will be a smash 4 port on the switch unless you plan on getting other games for the wii u
A few games look interesting but I think I should wait unless I find a really good deal on the Wii U.

I'm starting to have my doubts about the Switch. $70 for a Pro Controller, no backwards compability of old controllers (maybe GameCube if we're lucky), JoyCons being super-small, paid online, and a lack of content in general... It might be better to get the Wii U cheaply now and pick up a Switch in 2-4 years. With that being said, I could very well be wrong and the Switch might end up being a huge success.
I'm going to wait a little while and see how things pan out.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Please avoid double posting. Thank you.

The Wii U is worth it IMO just for the exclusives beyond Smash & Mario Kart. If there is a Smash port chances are it'll be announced at E3 at the latest IMO, and knowing Sakurai, if there is important new content it won't be exclusive (timed at best). There is also no guarantee the GameCube adapter will work with the Switch either.

If you're on a tight budget just wait until March before getting a Wii U to see if there is a price drop or if a store tries to offload backstock. If you can't wait for Smash, pick up the 3DS version.

TheBazry64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBazry64
Probably not since there is most likely a new Smash on the Switch and also i don't even think that Smash 4 is that good
as it has many flaws.
And if you don't like any other U games you should not buy it.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
I'm starting to have my doubts about the Switch. $70 for a Pro Controller, no backwards compability of old controllers (maybe GameCube if we're lucky), JoyCons being super-small, paid online, and a lack of content in general... It might be better to get the Wii U cheaply now and pick up a Switch in 2-4 years. With that being said, I could very well be wrong and the Switch might end up being a huge success.

BaC0nz

Smash Rookie
I'm going to wait a little while and see how things pan out.

Top Bottom