• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it worth getting now?

Olympian

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I realize i'm behind the curve significantly but i'm considering getting a wiiu for the purpose of being able to play smash 4. I've been watching smash 4 since early 2016 and have always loved it, now more than ever i really want to play. I was putting off buying one because around the time I was thinking of buying a wii-u last year the switch release got leaked. Now that E3 has come and gone and nintendo said NOTHING about a smash 4 port or a new smash game i'm torn. Do i blow the money on the console and game+dlc or do i wait for a smash port/game for the switch? Either way I think it sucks but I really need some advice. What would you do?

Please help me smash 4 community, you're my only hope

Bob

Banned via Warnings
Don't get the Switch. They will eventually charge for Wifi. Not worth the money atm. Get the Wii U for a (presumably) discounted price, and enjoy Smash!

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Get the Wii U, hon. It'll be quite a while before another Smash is released...maybe. Besides, the Smash 4 scene is still relatively young.

Last edited:

Pillowpet

Smash Apprentice
Get a Wii U and smash 4 or else you will almost positively have to wait another year for E3 2018

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I realize i'm behind the curve significantly but i'm considering getting a wiiu for the purpose of being able to play smash 4. I've been watching smash 4 since early 2016 and have always loved it, now more than ever i really want to play. I was putting off buying one because around the time I was thinking of buying a wii-u last year the switch release got leaked. Now that E3 has come and gone and nintendo said NOTHING about a smash 4 port or a new smash game i'm torn. Do i blow the money on the console and game+dlc or do i wait for a smash port/game for the switch? Either way I think it sucks but I really need some advice. What would you do?

Please help me smash 4 community, you're my only hope
Pretty much what everyone has already said in this Thread: Get a Wii U & Smash.

There's no telling when we'll be getting a port for it or even a new game in general for it. The Wii U should be discounted now as well as the many games that come with it as stores are most likely trying to clear more space for the Switch and it's games. Plus, you can always practice your Smash skills and prepare for the next game instead of just sitting there waiting for it, right?

In short, it's better safe than sorry. Don't waste your time waiting for something that may not happen anytime soon.

Olympian

Smash Rookie
Thank you all for the replys, maybe I just needed the kick in the ass to get it. Much appreciated folks, see y'all around :)

Skwrl

Smash Cadet
I know you have already decided to get a Wii U, but keep in mind that Nintendo sells refurbished Wii U consoles on their online store as well as their eBay store for $200 shipped. I have heard many people say that the console they ordered from those stores are actually still new in box.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
That's all well and good, but it's possible to acquire one for even less than that. Last year, got mine in very good condition for $169 (this is before shipping, mind y'all) though to me it was more "like new" condition. Note that I ain't buy from Nintendo or Ebay or even my friendly neighborhood Gamestop. I do believe I bought it from Buya Marketplace.

Olympian

Smash Rookie
I got mine for about 175 because my friends a manager at gamestop. Although right now i dont have the gamecube controller plus im new so that combo means i suck. Still gotta grab that dlc as well.....

But so far i think this was the right move, i played for like 12 hours straight yesterday.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
As :4bayonetta2: would say, "Smashing!" I remember back in 2005 when I picked up Melee, I could not put it down. Same thing for when I picked up Brawl in late 2010 and 4 for the Wii U last summer.

TheKirbyFan

Smash Cadet
Don't get the Wii U (lol typo meant switch), unless you want Mario Odyssey, Kirby for switch, Metroid Prime 4, or Sonic Forces/Mania next year.
I recommend getting consoles 2 years after their release so you can get the console and immeddiatly have at least a dozen games in your shopping cart on the same day.

Last edited:

Skwrl

Smash Cadet
Don't get the Wii U, unless you want Mario Odyssey, Kirby for switch, Metroid Prime 4, or Sonic Forces/Mania next year.
I recommend getting consoles 2 years after their release so you can get the console and immeddiatly have at least a dozen games in your shopping cart on the same day.
That plan is all well and good, but we don't have a Smash game for Switch yet do we?

TheKirbyFan

Smash Cadet
Exactly
So let the man buy the wii u now and wait a while before he gets dat switch

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
This game is totally worth getting, for the mod potential! I've figured so much out in the last 6 months and it's been a lot of fun! I honestly will keep playing Smash 4 even when the next one comes out cause by then there will be even more characters, stages, and moveset edits to keep the game fresh.

Skwrl

Smash Cadet
Exactly
So let the man buy the wii u now and wait a while before he gets dat switch
Perhaps I misread your initial post. We are on the same page.

This game is totally worth getting, for the mod potential! I've figured so much out in the last 6 months and it's been a lot of fun! I honestly will keep playing Smash 4 even when the next one comes out cause by then there will be even more characters, stages, and moveset edits to keep the game fresh.
I haven't messed around with any modding yet and this game still has my attention. I hope it hangs on like Melee once a new Smash comes out.

Pillowpet

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps I misread your initial post. We are on the same page.

I haven't messed around with any modding yet and this game still has my attention. I hope it hangs on like Melee once a new Smash comes out.
Unfortunately I doubt it will hang on like Melee because many believe it will be a switch port while some think it won't even be on switch. The reason melee is still around is because only about half the players switched to Brawl which had massively different mechanics, Smash 4 is very similar to Brawl but with some stupid stuff like tripping removed. I really can't imagine Smash 5 being a drastic change to how Smash 4 is as much as I would like it to.

Top Bottom