• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it true that Dr. Mario can chaingrab spacies 0-death? How do I do this?

Shadow Light Master

Smash Journeyman
I remember reading a post here that said something like "One day a Doc is going to chaingrab a Fox 0-death on stream, and everyone is going to remember how good this character is."

So... how do I do this chaingrab? How do I practice it?

Melaf

Smash Journeyman
On FD its pretty easy to land 0-death on fastfallers even more so when people are not used to smash DI doc link move into their finishers after the chaingrabs.On other stages though its much harder because platforms gets in your way so you have to techchase\rely on AI uair.Its similar to marth in a way that in certain percent you have to do certain move like a uair or utilt to continue the combo into a finisher like fsmash,dsmash or fair but its very easy to do after practice a bunch on 20XX cpus with random DI.I reckon that you meant literally 0-death with only grab...though pointless and prone to more mistakes its possible if you you get a grab at 0 up throw until around 60-70 then start doing down throws with close to frame perfect reactions until 90 then its easy going until 180+ and I guess you kill with a back throw by then haha?

Zonda1996

Smash Rookie
I've been trying to learn this so I can teach a friend developing his doc against Spacies. From what I've experimented with so far, Up throw is better to initiate CGs at low %. On no DI/DI in you need to turn around/pivot/dash back to get the regrab (same goes for Down throw). On mid-higher % is when you should switch to down throw, as the knockback from Uthrow sends them higher and higher. The angle from Dthrow is tricky to get though.

Hopefully somebody with more experience (and technology/editing prowess) than I can take advantage of the lack of in depth tutorial videos on YouTube and score themselves a heap of views.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
I think one thing people often forget is how quickly some characters can act out of throw. A lot of low level players will drop chaingrabs because they are trying too hard to get the timing just right. With doc chaingrab on spacies and fox ditto chaingrabs (at early percents), the key is usually dashing as soon as their character's model is airborne and regrabbing, especially if they di away. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I will test it when I have the chance. Also, if for some reason you have trouble getting the regrab at higher percents, wavedash>uptilt is a cool and practical way to start a combo.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
I think one thing people often forget is how quickly some characters can act out of throw. A lot of low level players will drop chaingrabs because they are trying too hard to get the timing just right. With doc chaingrab on spacies and fox ditto chaingrabs (at early percents), the key is usually dashing as soon as their character's model is airborne ...
The REAL key is dashing and regrabbing AS SOON AS Doc's throwing animation is finished. I notice a decent amount of players failing to get the full dash into regrab because they're inputting the dash TOO EARLY. It's an easy mistake to make at first if you don't realize that the character being thrown is "airborne" BEFORE Doc's throw animation is FINISHED.

Chaos0205

Smash Cadet
So, iirc, you should try to get the lower controller ports (port 3/4) because they allow you to act out of throws a frame or two faster. Doesn't sound like a lot, but it really is. Other than that, yeah uthrow CG until about 50-60% then dthrow until 90-100% to uthrow fair. Best way to practice is to get 20XX random DI computers, but be aware that the dthrow CG is waaaaaaaaaaay harder than uthrow.

Last edited:

P1cklee

Smash Cadet
i start at 0% using uthrow, but at like 50 or 60%, i switch to dthrow because uthrow starts to send them too high at these percents.

Eremurus

Smash Apprentice
Wait, Doc can do that? Oh my goodness, if he can actually do that I'd call him a top tier character.
Nah. His still has rather average frame data, and range. Not the best recovery. But, yes, Dr. Mario can CG Fox, Falco, and Falcon into a Fair for a kill confirm. I do not remember the exact % thresholds, but Dr. Mario would still have other problematic top and high tier match ups that prevent his rise on the tier list. Additionally, this is only really applicable on FD, which your opponent can ban anyways. Plus there is DSR, so you would be best suited to actually learning various stages and match ups if you plan on maining him.

Top Bottom