• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it time for Pokémon to evolve...

Dan

Smash Lord
... (no pun intended)?

(Talking about the main series games) It just seems a little outdated to keep doing the boring RPG turn-based "I hit you-you hit me" deal. I mean in 1999 it made sense with the hardware limitations, but now it just seems outdated. I would like to see some sort of cross between Pokkén and what we have now; skill-based combat with leveling up where you still only have four moves and stuff. I know this sounds like Pokkén, but I want a fully-realized 3D title on both home and handheld consoles, like think Coliseum with Pokkén (maybe not as complicated) combat; online gameplay where you can make a house (maybe Animal Crossing elements). It doesn't necessarily have to be an MMO, but I feel like Nintendo has been missing out on a huge opportunity with a 3D home console main series Pokémon title for years.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Pokemon was designed to be an RPG series, and if it has been successful for six generations, there's little need to fix it.

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
The only thing I would REALLY like to see in the main series game is them ACTUALLY attacking each other instead of moving and then the opponent acts hurt.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Okay, I can agree with this, I think there is a lot of potential for Pokémon to go further with. There are a lot of new possibilities out there with so few hardware limitations, and so much budget and demand, but honestly I don't want to see the Pokémon formula disappear. It's not like they are changing nothing, they changed quite a bit in 6th gen, and I hope they continue to do so. However, the basis that Pokémon was formed on is evidently still very popular and successful today, and many people (including myself) would be happy if it stayed forever, with new generations never stopping. I am very glad that the Pokémon company is realizing this potential though, seeing the amount of spin offs they have given us recently, especially pokken and pokémon go, but I still enjoy the main series the way it is, and I would miss it if it were to go away

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The only thing I would REALLY like to see in the main series game is them ACTUALLY attacking each other instead of moving and then the opponent acts hurt.
That would kind of up the rating, I think

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Pokemon could stand to have some big mechanical rewrites, but a genre change? That's not going to ever happen. Big changes like that would be as well received as Federation Force.

If I were to change anything it'd be the breeding system, since right now it's just there so you can't just will perfect Pokemon into existence. There's almost no depth to IVs...

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
'KISS'...pokemon is a game known for its simplistic gameplay, yet still has a level of complexity on a competitive level...

Not that I'm against change, but changing just for the sake of change isn't always the best route...there are other ways Pokemon can push itself forward when it comes to its gameplay and features...

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Too bad the game was lackluster with its lack of rentals, and you can't use Origin Forme Giratina at all either.
That's because Origin Giratina didn't exist at the time Battle Revolution got released.
Though they did update the Japanese version of Pokemon Ranch with the new Platinum features, kind of odd how they didn't do it with the international version though. I suppose the reason it wasn't possible with Battle Revolution is because it was a disc game while Ranch was a Wiiware game.
But yes Battle Revolution was quite lackluster, but it did have a pretty solid soundtrack i must say.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Remember Banjo-Kazooie?
Remember how well-recieved and praised the game was with its original concept of 3rd person platforming elements and how the games are still highly praised classics? Remember what kind of high acclaim the series got years later from its loyal fans when Nuts & Bolts came into existence by completely changing the genre?
Oh wait... that last part never happened.
I'm sure that if Game Freak learns from this mistake (by completely avoiding it altogether) then they can look forward to a future success.
Honestly, if you want something different from the main game series and genre then that's usually why spin-off games exist.
I'm not dismissing the idea you're recommending. It's a very good idea. But that kind of thing is going to be treated as a spin-off title, just like Pokken, Stadium and Snap. If it has great success like Mystery Dungeon then it'd definitely get sequels. I honestly think Pokemon is better off sticking to the main series turn-based RPG thing that they've been good at making.
In the meantime, maybe we can convince the developers behind Fire Emblem to drop the whole turn-based weeaboo chess thing in favor of something more lucrative: like a tried and true dating simulation.

Please don't take this too seriously. I like to make alot of jokes.

D

Deleted member

The mechanic of you're Pokemon or you're opponents Pokemon attacking first then you or them after should stay the same that dosen't need to change. But there are other things they can do to spice it up.

Dan

Smash Lord
Pokemon was designed to be an RPG series, and if it has been successful for six generations, there's little need to fix it.
I guess I can agree with this, but Nintendo is always on the brink of change, though this would be more radical.

When I made the OP I was coming back to Pokémon from a long time away from the series, so those were just my thoughts from the perspective of someone coming back; it just really felt outdated to me, but I guess it is what it is. Sometimes I just think "This isn't fun, more like addicting".

'KISS'...pokemon is a game known for its simplistic gameplay, yet still has a level of complexity on a competitive level...

Not that I'm against change, but changing just for the sake of change isn't always the best route...there are other ways Pokemon can push itself forward when it comes to its gameplay and features...
Not for the sake of change, but because I found it boring and outdated coming back to it.

But I like turn-based RPGs.
Fair enough, lol. /thread :laugh:

Remember Banjo-Kazooie?
Remember how well-recieved and praised the game was with its original concept of 3rd person platforming elements and how the games are still highly praised classics? Remember what kind of high acclaim the series got years later from its loyal fans when Nuts & Bolts came into existence by completely changing the genre?
Oh wait... that last part never happened.
I'm sure that if Game Freak learns from this mistake (by completely avoiding it altogether) then they can look forward to a future success.
Honestly, if you want something different from the main game series and genre then that's usually why spin-off games exist.
I'm not dismissing the idea you're recommending. It's a very good idea. But that kind of thing is going to be treated as a spin-off title, just like Pokken, Stadium and Snap. If it has great success like Mystery Dungeon then it'd definitely get sequels. I honestly think Pokemon is better off sticking to the main series turn-based RPG thing that they've been good at making.
In the meantime, maybe we can convince the developers behind Fire Emblem to drop the whole turn-based weeaboo chess thing in favor of something more lucrative: like a tried and true dating simulation.

Please don't take this too seriously. I like to make alot of jokes.
I don't like that comparison. I feel like they just slapped the B-K brand on a random game; it would still be creatures fighting each other.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Eh, I can't see GF changing such a popular series just cos. There's nothing old fashioned about turn based RPGs at all.

What they can do is work on CPU AI, come up with a way to mix up the "take the gym challenge, but watch out for those evil guys" plot and fix the leveling up issues that has plagued them to make the second half of the game incredibly easy.

Eh, Pokemon is fine as it is, there are plenty of Nintendo series that need a shake up before it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Why does everyone hate on turn based RPGs yet hate time based missions in every single other type of game? Can someone explain the disconnect here?

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Why does everyone hate on turn based RPGs yet hate time based missions in every single other type of game? Can someone explain the disconnect here?
Not everyone hates either of those things, its just that the only people that are going to shout about them on the internet are generally people who are complaining about them. Just because a certain group is louder doesn't mean they are the majority. There are still plenty of people that like turn based RPGs, and plenty of people who like timed missions, and plenty of people who hate both. Just a matter of personal preference and taste

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
When it comes to RPGs, Pokemon is probably the simplest RPG series out there, since there are no unfair moments whenever you play your cards right. Other RPGs can potentially be very unfair, as they can contain foes who can completely obliterate your team, no matter how strong it is.

Puzzle & Dragons is a perfect example of an RPG game that can be very unfair, as you can have a full party of level 99s, and yet your foe(s) can completely wipe out your team with a single attack, while you're hardly dealing much if any damage.

Elin

Your face is strange... Is it always like that?
NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
When it comes to RPGs, Pokemon is probably the simplest RPG series out there, since there are no unfair moments whenever you play your cards right. Other RPGs can potentially be very unfair, as they can contain foes who can completely obliterate your team, no matter how strong it is.

Puzzle & Dragons is a perfect example of an RPG game that can be very unfair, as you can have a full party of level 99s, and yet your foe(s) can completely wipe out your team with a single attack, while you're hardly dealing much if any damage.
Can confirm, as I play tons of unfair RPGs, including PaD. The only Pokémon game in the entire series I can think of that's unfair is Super Mystery Dungeon, though I think that was because of complaints that Gates was too easy.

I wish I was joking, but I literally yell at my 3DS whenever I play it.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The first game was kind of unfair

I could never defeat the Mewtwo on my brothers team without another mewtwo

Which I didn't have for a LONG time. I defeated Mewtwo without capturing him

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Most of RBY's difficultly came from the type chart being broken, a bunch of moves being broken, most Pokemon's movepools being garbage, and a bunch of other archaic quirks. Pokemon didn't really get easier until XY, but even then "optimal" play in-game was to take one 'mon and overlevel it until it could one-shot everything and snowball from there, even with gen 5's revamped exp system and gen 6's exp all.

Mystery Dungeon was always hard as heck, lol. Believe it or not they've been steadily making the absolute endgame more and more gentle.

Dan

Smash Lord
Pokemon didn't really get easier until XY, but even then "optimal" play in-game was to take one 'mon and overlevel it until it could one-shot everything and snowball from there, even with gen 5's revamped exp system and gen 6's exp all.
This is just another reason why it's so dull.

Oh well; I'm probably too old for it.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Most of RBY's difficultly came from the type chart being broken, a bunch of moves being broken, most Pokemon's movepools being garbage, and a bunch of other archaic quirks. Pokemon didn't really get easier until XY, but even then "optimal" play in-game was to take one 'mon and overlevel it until it could one-shot everything and snowball from there, even with gen 5's revamped exp system and gen 6's exp all.

Mystery Dungeon was always hard as heck, lol. Believe it or not they've been steadily making the absolute endgame more and more gentle.
It also came from special's defense and offense being the same stat. So someone with good special also had good special defense. Meaning, mewtwo took almost no damage from special attacks. (Not to mention he had no weaknesses that mattered anyway)

Now, I didn't know that in Gen 1 and my team was made up of primarily special attackers, or in the case of dragonite - a primarily physical attacker that I gave all special attacks to for some reason (Except Hyper Beam)

Dan

Smash Lord
Well based on the responses, I guess at the end of the day it's too dramatic to change something this much that has been stagnant (or I guess "the same", not to offend anyone) for so long. I guess the appropriate way to do it would be a spin-off, or with the main series games they would just be like "here's a 3D title and here's a 2D, both the same title just different genres I guess", giving us the option.

It's just that Pokémon is so great and has much more potential to me and is just stuck in boredom right now.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Maybe they could try an ATB based game. That'd be interesting

Natty_T

Smash Rookie
NNID
Natty_T
3DS FC
1160-9854-7866
Pokemon doesn't need to change yet, at least on Nintendo consoles, if anything it's currently expanding with all the mobile stuff. Though I would have to say that a decent story would be nice next gen, I thought BW and BW2 were great at that.

Dan

Smash Lord
I just saw this thumbnail on Kinda Funny's YouTube channel; tell me this wouldn't be awesome.

Dan

Smash Lord
20 years since NA's introduction to Pokémon and I thought about making this thread again, but remembered I already did two years ago. Let's Go is not a bad game, but this is the best they could do in 2018? Are you kidding me? Upgraded graphics and petting/clothing/feeding your Pokémon? How is a Pokémon MMO not the most obvious thing ever? If you're not gonna give me a real-time action game, then that's the least you could do.

Pokémon is just a sideshow of cool creatures, walking and pressing the A button.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Coming back to this thread years later after having expanded my repertoire on monster collecting RPGs, I actually think I agree with you now. Pokemon is WAY behind compared to other games and unfortunately, Pokemon fans are scared of change and I'm guilty of being one like that as well.

Top Bottom