• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it time for an official Tier List for Ultimate?

Felancius

Smash Cadet
I personally feel as if there's been plenty of tournaments to determine a character's viability, and that perhaps it's time for an official tier list to be made for Ultimate. Granted this is just my own thoughts, but I feel that the time of just speculating viability is over and many of us have good ideas on who's viable and who's not.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Hell to the no. With 5 more dlc characters yet to be released and the game only being 2 months old...no...all ya need is the opinions on one pro per list

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
Nope. I'd say the cutoff is at the very minimum, half a year. We are only a third of the way there.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Definitely no.
2 months with 70 individual characters, while also considering patches do happen that can change a character? And then counting DLC characters? As I keep saying all over the place, I'd prefer if first true tier lists start 6 months after the game's released so characters get time to be discovered, as well as see how the meta develops, and then another several months to see how the meta changes.
Of course, the meta and such will constantly change, so every several months we would have to update. So IMO, 3-4 more months, then we'll see what happens.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
Id give it til june .

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
The YouTube channel SmashCentralOfficial just made another tier list based purely on results using more data than last time. Obviously it’s skewed because of usage but it’s not a bad list. If you wanna see who’s “technically” top and high tier now I would watch it

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
There's been a lot of tournaments but people are still in an experimental phase. People are still optimizing combos, trying new strategies and figuring out match ups. We've already seen some significant changes, such as Chrom dropping in popularity as more people learned to edge guard for instance.

There's also not a standard stage list yet and that could definitely change things. Heavyweights like DK and Bowser will be much stronger if Castle Siege is widely adopted as one, for instance, as they'll have more ways to deal with zoners.

Besides, if we declare some characters to be mid/low this early it might stale their metagame too soon. We don't want players to be chased away from characters who might have some sleeper potential that no one has proved yet. With a cast of around 70 characters there's a good chance one or two of them are still flying under the radar. Greninja for instance doesn't have a lot of results but a lot of skilled or smart players are expecting to see that change in the near future. There could be others characters like that which people aren't really looking at yet.

Last edited:

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
Besides, if we declare some characters to be mid/low this early it might stale their metagame too soon. We don't want players to be chased away from characters who might have some sleeper potential that no one has proved yet. W
This.
Do you really want to see a meta which the same 5 chars are played ad nauseam in because nobody wants to play the supposed low tiers?

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
We're already there, brother. Go online, you'll find nothing but Chroms, Simons, K.Rools and Bayos.
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, brother.
Go online, destroy them all and show them what you can do.

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
We're already there, brother. Go online, you'll find nothing but Chroms, Simons, K.Rools and Bayos.
Actually, I've almost exclusively fought Ganondorfs and Captain Falcons (granted only thirty or so matches, but still). The only exceptions were one Fox player, one Cloud, two Nesses, and a Dedede.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
If they were to be placed on a tier list none of them would be placed above high-mid. All of them are mid tier characters, with the expection or K Rool who might actually be low tier

AfroGamerNinja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FluffyWarlock
Especially with a DLC character that has been released recently (and I'm using recently loosely, since it's been 2 weeks since Plant Day).

Speaking of the plant: assuming we were at a stage where we know everything about every fighter in the game, where would it be on the tier list?

Top Bottom