• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it possible to install project m without a sd card?

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
First off, although I never got the chance to play project m (yet), it is sad to see the development of it go.

(yes I downloaded it before the main page removed it)

So the problem I am having is that none of my computers have a slot for an SD card. Does it have to be an sd card, or can I use a usb? Please let me know if there is a way around this, thanks!

Teckiels

Smash Rookie
Last edited:

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
If you haven't already, you'll have to install the homebrew channel on your wii. (http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Get-Homebrew-On-Your-Wii/) Download the homebrew version of Project M here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/008l783fxrc9qxi/homebrew.zip and put it inside a folder labeled "apps" on your USB. (i.e. D: > apps > project m > hacker stuff) Then plug it in, load up the homebrew channel, and smash away!
I followed the steps, but there is no bomb mail in my wii messages.. do I need to downgrade to a older version of the wii.. and if so how?

Teckiels

Smash Rookie
Don't worry it works with the latest version. Did you put "private" and "boot.elf" at the root of your USB? Did you check your mail from every day for like a month forward and back?

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
Don't worry it works with the latest version. Did you put "private" and "boot.elf" at the root of your USB? Did you check your mail from every day for like a month forward and back?
What do you mean by the root of my usb? I check a few days back and forth, but not a month

Teckiels

Smash Rookie
It just means that they're not inside a folder. Otherwise your wii won't be able to open the boot.elf file. A month was a bit of an exaggeration, as an example mine was 4 days in the future.

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
It just means that they're not inside a folder. Otherwise your wii won't be able to open the boot.elf file. A month was a bit of an exaggeration, as an example mine was 4 days in the future.
Then yes, they're at the root. I checked a few days ahead and behind.. and nothing

Attachments

Teckiels

Smash Rookie
hmm. Is your USB formatted to FAT32? You can check with right click > format. If your USB's larger than 32GB it'll use a different format and you'll have to jump through a couple hoops to get it to work.

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
it is a 4gb usb, and it is formatted to FAT32 :/ should I just buy a SD and try that?

Teckiels

Smash Rookie
You could try putting the USB in the other slot in your wii lol. Other than that I don't know how else to help you. :(

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
Ok, just thought you may have knew a good place to find one/ a link.

person66

Smash Cadet
As far as I know letterbomb only works from the SD card. At least, I just tried it and the letter never showed up with USB, but showed up if I used an SD card instead. AFAIK there is no Wii exploit that works with USB, so, to hack your wii at least, you will need access to some computer with an sd card slot. Once you have the wii hacked and homebrew channel installed though, you should be able to do everything from USB. Maybe see if you can use a friends laptop or something, as those usually have SD card readers.

If you do want to buy a reader though, I use this one and it works great: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10068
But really any cheapo card reader should do the job.

Last edited:

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
So I was able to find a computer that had an SD slot. I downloaded and installed homebrew fine. I then proceeded to download the homebrew version of project m, from the mediafire link posted above. It shows up on the homebrew channel, as project m v 1.12 or something, I click load, and then play, but it just kicks me to the wii menu. What should I do?

person66

Smash Cadet
possibly a dumb question, but is the brawl disc inserted into the wii?

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
Yes, the disc is in the wii. I tried clicking update, and it said I was missing some file? Maybe I downloaded it wrong?

Last edited:

person66

Smash Cadet
Hmm, seems like the people in this thread were wrong, Project M doesn't load from USB, it needs and SD card, sorry about that. Your only other option would be to use something like the 3.6 Netplay ISO builder and then launch that using a USB loader on the wii (I think that should work), but then you wouldn't have all the features of a full P:M. Really your best bet would be to just get an SD card reader

Last edited:

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
Hmm, seems like the people in this thread were wrong, Project M doesn't load from USB, it needs and SD card, sorry about that. Your only other option would be to use something like the 3.6 Netplay ISO builder and then launch that using a USB loader on the wii (I think that should work), but then you wouldn't have all the features of a full P:M. Really your best bet would be to just get an SD card reader
I posted earlier that I was able to find a computer with an sd card reader. I installed both with an sd card.

person66

Smash Cadet
I posted earlier that I was able to find a computer with an sd card reader. I installed both with an sd card.
Oh sorry I misunderstood, I didn't realize you had put project m on the SD card. In that case I really don't know what is wrong.

Now that project m has been shut down, though, the update function definitely won't work, so don't rely on that.

Side note, I just realized that technically, now that you have the homebrew channel, you could put WiiXplorer on a USB drive, along with any files you wanted, and then use the Wii itself to transfer them to sd, or even use its ftp server to transfer to the SD over WiFi.

Last edited:

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
Oh sorry I misunderstood, I didn't realize you had put project m on the SD card. In that case I really don't know what is wrong.

Now that project m has been shut down, though, the update function definitely won't work, so don't rely on that.

Side note, I just realized that technically, now that you have the homebrew channel, you could put WiiXplorer on a USB drive, along with any files you wanted, and then use the Wii itself to transfer them to sd, or even use its ftp server to transfer to the SD over WiFi.
Ok, I put the wiixplorer on a usb, and the projectm files on it (just in case not all the files are there on the sd). How would I use the wii itself to transfer them?

person66

Smash Cadet
launch WiiXplorer from the homebrew channel, then I can't really remember exactly how it works from there, but it should go something like:
-change to USB drive (I think it shows SD by default)
-select files you want to copy and then choose copy
-change back to SD
-paste files

I can give you a more detailed guide when I get home in a few hours.

EDIT: also, not sure if you knew, but to launch apps on USB from the homebrew channel, you have to open homebrew channel, then press 1 then select USB drive. If nothing shows up make sure you have wiixplorer in the right place on your usb. It should be USB:/apps/wiixplorer/boot.dol. (the wiixplorer folder can be named anything, its the apps folder and boot.dol that matter)

Last edited:

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
launch WiiXplorer from the homebrew channel, then I can't really remember exactly how it works from there, but it should go something like:
-change to USB drive (I think it shows SD by default)
-select files you want to copy and then choose copy
-change back to SD
-paste files

I can give you a more detailed guide when I get home in a few hours.

EDIT: also, not sure if you knew, but to launch apps on USB from the homebrew channel, you have to open homebrew channel, then press 1 then select USB drive. If nothing shows up make sure you have wiixplorer in the right place on your usb. It should be USB:/apps/wiixplorer/boot.dol. (the wiixplorer folder can be named anything, its the apps folder and boot.dol that matter)
So I don't need the icon or meta files? and yes I would like a more detailed tutorial. I appreciate you taking the time to help me

person66

Smash Cadet
the icon and meta files are not necessary, but they are recommended. They just add the icon and description on the homebrew channel.

Anyway, as far as how to do it, now that i'm at my wii here's a better tutorial:
- Extract WiiXplorer zip to a folder inside the apps folder (i.e. USB:/apps/wiixplorer/. Inside that folder should be boot.dol, icon.png, and meta.xml)
- Put USB in Wii, open Homebrew channel. If it doesn't automatically show the apps that are on your USB drive, press 1, then choose USB Device.
- Launch WiiXplorer, click the little icon in the top left and select usb1
- Hover over the first file/folder you want to copy, then press +, then choose copy, then say Yes when it asks if you want to copy.
- Click icon in top left, select sd
- Navigate to wherever on the sd card you want to copy the file/folder to, and then press +, and choose paste, then say Yes when it asks if you want to paste items
- It should now begin copying the file/folder. Once it is done repeat the process for any other files/folders you want to copy.

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
I just tried that, but it's like it doesn't recognize my usb. It doesn't show up when I click the icon in the top left :/

person66

Smash Cadet
I don't know then... Are you using the usb port closest to the edge of the wii? Really you're probably better off just getting an SD card reader.

Clark.r16

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0963-3805-7620
I previously had problems but I used a different computer for it to work

Last edited:
Top Bottom