• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it possible for Villager to rise back up to his former glory?

Former Glory being top 15-20

• Yes

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Hard to say

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Villager primarily fell because Ranai, who is the best villager main out there, stopped playing the game ever since August 2017, if buddy came back, could be push villager far enough to put him back on the map?

Lattenzo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2621-3172-9784
Switch FC
SW-6477-3999-3958
Yeah. Villager will always have the tools to make it to top 15-20 as long as he has some representation.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Villager primarily fell because Ranai, who is the best villager main out there, stopped playing the game ever since August 2017, if buddy came back, could be push villager far enough to put him back on the map?
Ranai coming back can be great push for the Villager meta to grow. However even when Ranai coming back, it will be hard to rise to his dominance especially with people learning the Villy MU. Before he went on a hiatus, Ranai grew more inconsistent on results overtime as people learned Villager's weaknesses and the DLC characters are getting more common. However, I do believe that Villager can rise but not to extent as top 15-20 since his MUs against most of top tiers are terrible (Cloud and Bayonetta are terrible MUs for Villager and many other top tier characters have some advantage against Villager). Villager's weaknesses are not that glaring in comparison to other upper-middle tier characters (Such as DK, Bowser, and Ness) but it is still an issue.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Ranai coming back can be great push for the Villager meta to grow. However even when Ranai coming back, it will be hard to rise to his dominance especially with people learning the Villy MU. Before he went on a hiatus, Ranai grew more inconsistent on results overtime as people learned Villager's weaknesses and the DLC characters are getting more common. However, I do believe that Villager can rise but not to extent as top 15-20 since his MUs against most of top tiers are terrible (Cloud and Bayonetta are terrible MUs for Villager and many other top tier characters have some advantage against Villager). Villager's weaknesses are not that glaring in comparison to other upper-middle tier characters (Such as DK, Bowser, and Ness) but it is still an issue.
Ye I just don't like villager being lumped together in with DK bowser and Ness of all characters, he has so many better things over those characters, such as MU spread, lack of horrid/glaring weaknesses, and lack of terribly bad MU's within the top tiers, (ness loses to pretty much any top tier with him having a -2 against what, 4 or 5 of them? Bowser and DK get blown out of the water by Netta, Rosa, Sonic, ZSS and so many more, Villager's only real trash MU is Cloud, I don't think Netta is as bad as people say it is. Villager has a lot of underrated things that people don't really understand or don't see, like his ledge traps. I believe he is better than every character in C bar maybe greninja, but maybe not as good as the B people, maybe peach but thats it. Also Lucina, but saying such a thing on this site is punishable by death despite it being truth.

Last edited:

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
(ness loses to pretty much any top tier with him having a -2 against what, 4 or 5 of them?.
Usually, people trashed Ness by his weakness too many times that it is ridiculous.
Let me clarify, even though his disadvantage is glaring, his advantage state is really good as he relied on disjointed aerials and raw kill power to take full advantage against the opponent. I do not believe that Ness loses to all top tier characters in this game by a long shot, Ness against top tier wasn't as bad as people thought. Fox, ZSS, and Ryu are evens while most of the top tiers are usually -1. Ness vs. Bayonetta wasn't very bad because of his floatiness and small height and even though Bayo can body Ness, Ness can take his full force to take down Bayo too (Ness needs to be a little careful though). The only thing I do believe Ness truely lose to are Corrin, Marth, and Cloud.

Aside from that Bowser, DK, Ness, C.Falcon, and to a less extent, Fox, are characters that have poor disadvantage but have a great advantage. Their advantages are super scary as they rely on strong kill power and combo potential.

Still, Villager is better overall but Ness is not that terrible.

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Usually, people trashed Ness by his weakness too many times that it is ridiculous.
Let me clarify, even though his disadvantage is glaring, his advantage state is really good as he relied on disjointed aerials and raw kill power to take full advantage against the opponent. I do not believe that Ness loses to all top tier characters in this game by a long shot, Ness against top tier wasn't as bad as people thought. Fox, ZSS, and Ryu are evens while most of the top tiers are usually -1. Ness vs. Bayonetta wasn't very bad because of his floatiness and small height and even though Bayo can body Ness, Ness can take his full force to take down Bayo too (Ness needs to be a little careful though). The only thing I do believe Ness truely lose to are Corrin, Marth, and Cloud.

Aside from that Bowser, DK, Ness, C.Falcon, and to a less extent, Fox, are characters that have poor disadvantage but have a great advantage. Their advantages are super scary as they rely on strong kill power and combo potential.
this is about villager not ness

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
this is about villager not ness

Sorry, flubbed once again.
Villager is usually better handled in disadvantage state but his advantage state can be a bit tricky since his learning curve is a bit high (I can be wrong tho). Otherwise, his poor results and representation hurts him alot. He is imo underrated tho. Still I really miss Ranai, no one ever match his former results :( Do you think any other Villager main will ever reach Ranai's peak?

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Sorry, flubbed once again.
Villager is usually better handled in disadvantage state but his advantage state can be a bit tricky since his learning curve is a bit high (I can be wrong tho). Otherwise, his poor results and representation hurts him alot. He is imo underrated tho. Still I really miss Ranai, no one ever match his former results :( Do you think any other Villager main will ever reach Ranai's peak?
Villager's advantage state is funnily enough, pretty much nonexistent afaik, he relies on stage control to do what he does best. His best advantageous position is when the opponent is offstage, cause you can do this really nice ledge trap with timber and up tilt.

I believe that Aarvark could reach levels that compete with or surpass Ranai sort of how Wadi did with Mewtwo and Abadango. Aarvark is very very good but he needs a lot more experience and practice. He took down Void's mewtwo a few weeks back but got absolutely totaled by Falln's rosalina, which is why I say he needs more practice.

Last edited:

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Villager's advantage state is funnily enough, pretty much nonexistent afaik, he relies on stage control to do what he does best. I believe that Aarvark could reach levels that compete with or surpass Ranai sort of how Wadi did with Mewtwo and Abadango. Aarvark is very very good but he needs a lot more experience and practice. He took down Void's mewtwo a few weeks back but got absolutely totaled by Falln's rosalina, which is why I say he needs more practice.
I think a great contender is Kept. I saw his perfomance in Sumabatos and Umeburas and he placed very well. He has wins against many top players in Japan. Kept could be the new Ranai but he needs to travel to US tournaments.

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I think a great contender is Kept. I saw his perfomance in Sumabatos and Umeburas and he placed very well. He has wins against many top players in Japan. Kept could be the new Ranai but he needs to travel to US tournaments.
Mind slapping down a few good videos of Kept? I'm too lazy to go watch some on youtube lel

Last edited:
Tbh I feel like a lot of the "glory" Villager had early on was people memeing about how good Pocket was/is (vs Pac-man, ROB, Diddy), when in reality he's a solid character outside of that. Like you said Villager has a kind of unorthodox advantage state that mainly arises from his interaction with space and limiting options, but that's... kind of tenuous I think. Like, you can't really guarantee much reward directly off of your own actions, you gotta get your opponent to open up opportunities for reward for you.

As much as I love Villager (and I've been playing her since the demo lole), I think she's got an awful, awful disadvantage state due to how stuffy most top characters are (Rosalina being an exception imo), which is what holds Villager back the most. Imo if more people started playing the character less defensively than they think they should, we'd see a pretty good rise in Villager placings, at least in local scenes. Her aerials are pretty slept on as aggro tools, so people shouldn't be so afraid of approaching as they seem to be. My two cents ofc, might not be the best opinions ha ha.

Top Bottom