• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it okay that the Smash community refers to new players as "randoms?"

Is it okay that the Smash community refers to new players as "randoms?"

• Yes

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 24 40.0%

• Total voters

B0NK

Smash Lord
Is it okay that the Smash community refers to new players as "randoms?" Also what does the term "random" mean to you? How often have you been called a random and did you mind being called one?

I personally believe the term "random" is usually used to describe an "irrelevant player," and it is disrespectful to call someone new (or newer) to the scene "irrelevant." I believe the term is even often used for players after they learn their tag or name, and this is disrespectful.

An example of this would be a newer player from OoS playing a "known" player in pools at Apex. The new player won the pools match, the known player knows who he lost to. The known player when asked who he lost to, refers to the new player as "some random player," instead of by his name or tag.

B0NK

Smash Lord
That's an interesting take on it. Out of curiosity though, is the motivation from "Being called a random is seen as a 'bad player,' so I want to no longer be called one" or is it more "Being called a random doesn't make me a bad player, but I still would rather be called by my name."

[Corn]

Smash Ace
Well, the experienced player sounds like he was a sore loser if he refers to someone as a random even if he knew their tag. Ive heard commentators call people randoms out of disrespect, but really never other players.

It honestly depends on the other player as well, I am guilty of calling many meta knights randoms around my area simply because there are so many.

B0NK

Smash Lord
who the hell cares?

:017:
It was an interesting discussion brought up between me and other tourney going friends. I'm curious what other people in the community think about it.

So in short, I care.

B0NK

Smash Lord
It's not bad unless someone uses it out of context to insult someone as insignificant.
Do you believe it is most often used this way though? I believe most of the time, this is exactly how people use the term "random."

rundas1234

Smash Cadet
yeah work to not be a random, it is a term used out of disrespect generally, and it probably insults some people enough to not want to play.

but hey, ive taken that and beat some highly skilled people in my region so somethings working ^^

B0NK

Smash Lord
yeah work to not be a random, it is a term used out of disrespect generally, and it probably insults some people enough to not want to play.

but hey, ive taken that and beat some highly skilled people in my region so somethings working ^^
Happy to hear it's working for you.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Well, maybe I haven't been around the block long enough, but I haven't heard it used in a negative way outside of stories of egotistical players using that word in a negative context.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
It's a matter of perspective, if anything. Some will see random as a pejorative term. Which it is when someone is salty about losing against said random.

I see it as a simple way to say "unknown player". For instance, somebody asks you who you lost to :
-"I lost to XxHurrDurrGetRektNerd420xX."
-"Who?"
-"Some Snake player from (insert region here)."
-"Oh, don't know him."

It gets the point across faster.

If the guy isn't known at all, because he's entirely new to the tournament scene, his name is somewhat irrelevant for the time being. Getting to know each other comes naturally anyway, so it's only a matter of time before peple get to know you.

Also, get better so people stop calling you random sooner.

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
I personally think that new players shouldn't be considered random players, and yet i am obvi a new player!

Each smasher should be known to who they are and not known as "random"

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
How about we ask actual randoms who aren't SWF members what they think about this? Jesus this community is so conceited

TreK

Is "that guy"
other communities usually call them like that too, nah ?
That, or 'button mashers', 'newbies', 'rookies', and such.

Not saying that we should follox a bad example, though.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
I just call them Smash Players like I do everyone else here. I don't see the point of degrading someone or looking down on them just because they haven't played a game for as long as I have. It only makes you look like a jerk and nothing else.

To someone you do not know and likely will never see again its a fairly accurate statement. When you go to a tournament and someone new shows up its pretty random since you probably didn't expect someone different to show up.

So, most of the time how will you refer to someone you do not know? Probably by an identity-less term such as "random" just as "he" or "she" is used. I do not think anyone would mean anything negative about it other than its a pronoun that gets used.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
I think it is impolite to call someone "random" because I feel like it has a negative connotation behind it. That negative feeling for me is that it shows how much you "not care" about someone and that you are somehow better than that person. Therefore, referring to someone that you don't know as "random" is just rude, at least to me, even if you are not likely to see that person again.

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
best sig also "xX_420_W33D_DR4G0N_420_Xx" (edit: and his training partner "xX_420_W33D_5N1P3R_420_Xx") been makin waves in da az melee community pretty sure they won a couple locals with good players attending

also i called myself a "nobody" or a "no-name player" b4 i became a somebody-who-has-a-name player, "random" is less insulting than those although a true random imo is someone who plays random chars

edit: also i think it's more insulting to call ppl who have accounts on SWF "users" than to call new ppl "randoms" awwww yeeeee

AppleAppleAZ

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, xX_420_W33D_DR4G0N_420_Xx & xX_420_W33D_5N1P3R_420_Xx are both REALLY good. Honestly think they could place really high at a melee national if they both get a chance to go to one.

On the "random" topic: Prospects >>>>> randoms >>>>> some scrubby _______

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
other communities usually call them like that too, nah ?
That, or 'button mashers', 'newbies', 'rookies', and such.

Not saying that we should follox a bad example, though.
new·bie (n
b
, ny
-)
n. Slang
One that is new to something, especially a novice at using computer technology or the Internet.

rook·ie (r
k
)
n.
1. Slang
a. An untrained or inexperienced recruit, as in the army or police.
b. An inexperienced person; a novice.
2. Sports A first-year player, especially in a professional sport.

The only one that is remotely disrespectful is Button Mashers, and that is not something any player would call a new player for being new. It's what they would call a button mashing player for button mashing.

This entire thread seems like it's randoms being upset over being called randoms. Stop being a pissant and make a name for yourself. It's not like you're being called a ****tard or autist or something actually insulting.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
When you ask somebody that typically goes to 2-3 tournaments a month and usually places in the money, its pretty much impossible for that person to be able to remember everyone he plays at every tournament. So eventually its going to boil down to:

"oh hey man, howd you do in that tournament yesterday."
"oh I got 2nd, lost to Vinnie again..."
"thats alright though, who'd you beat?"
"Oh... uh... I beat Atomsk... I beat Nakat... uh.... some random yoshi. I played this random Wolf guy, he was pretty good, got me to game three... and a couple other randoms, I dont really remember. I think I fought a Diddy..."

Like, its just a term for people you cant remember because they werent the best people you played. As opposed to Marvel where Random literally means, "guy who just does moves for no reason with no thought or strategy behind his actions."

D

Deleted member

Why will they be called random? I think they should be called newcomers. That's more polite.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
There are people in my region that have been randoms for years, because theyve never gotten good enough to make me remember their names.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Why are they called random ? Guys you're overcomplicating things.

Random is that big ass question mark on the character selection screen. It means "unknown".
So it's normal to call players that you don't know a thing about "randoms". That doesn't mean they're bad, just that you don't know them.

Oh and being good isn't the only way to get noticed in a community, simply talking to people and freeplaying at tournaments will do.

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
I dislike the term random, but I respect the fact that I fit the "random" description in that I suck...

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
I don't think "random" actually means that you suck. People using random for that reason are using it wrong. Then again, along with "scrub", "noob", or "baddie" I suppose it gets the point across faster. Mostly means you're new to the scene.

That being said, if you straight up steamroll everyone, people will make sure to know who the **** you are.

Also, should you ever encapsulate your name in X's, use weed, 420, or 360noscope in your tag, I'll make sure to follow your every move and sponsor you.

NAKAT

Smash Champion
No matter what people will refer to newer players as randoms or players that aren't particularly good. I see that you want to change this, but you won't be able to stop people from using the term. As EE even stated above, it doesn't really matter.

Top Bottom