• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it ok to main a bottom tier?

gamecubeguy214

Smash Apprentice
So in Melee, I main Kirby and Pichu, but those two characters are bottom tier and playing those characters will likely not get you anywhere. I want to be at least a decent Melee player when I get the game legit on a GameCube and not Dolphin Emulator, but the only characters I call myself at least ok with are the bottom tier characters. I feel like a top tier would be too hard for me to main because those characters are very technical and I'm not good that the game, I've only been a Smash player for eight and a half months. Is maining a bottom tier ok?

There's nothing wrong with maining bad characters, they're just advised not to because of their difficulty

necroTaxonomist

Smash Apprentice
I mean, you're allowed to. It's not like the Fox police are going to jump out of nowhere and arrest you.
It's just you may have trouble getting anywhere with Kirby and Pichu.

OH **** IT'S THE FOX POLICE EVERYBODY R

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
If you play a top tier more solely for the purpose of getting better, you will find your Kirby and Pichu become exponentially better without practice.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
Bad characters are limited, and while you could become a good player maining a bottom tier character the character will still be holding you back a lot (indisputably in terms of results and tournament performance, and arguably as a player in general to various extents depending on who you ask). Regardless, if you really like the character then it's not something you should worry about, since that's the character that's going to be the most fun and fulfilling to play; it's your decision whether the character's limitations are enough to outweigh your attachment to the character.

Don't be afraid of sticking with your current main for now with the possibility of switching mains in the future if your feelings and opinions change; while you shouldn't switch mains unnecessarily, if a character genuinely suits you better then you should make the change (and whether it does suit you better changes over time). If you switch off a character, then the time you spent playing that character won't have been wasted; your experience with that character will still be directly useful (for matchup knowledge or for using the character as a secondary or in friendlies), and you will have built transferable skills that can be applied to your new main or just to the game in general (or other games, even).

However, you definitely shouldn't be maining a certain character just because you think top tiers are too hard or too technical or because you're too bad of a player. Even assuming those things are true, the only reason they could be so is that you haven't practiced enough/well enough, meaning that you can overcome those problems; plenty of players manage to play those characters fine, and there's nothing special about them that you can't have as well.

This video is good and worth watching: 3 Reason Why You Should Pick a Top Tier

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
I think most people could become moderately successful with almost any character. Obviously some characters will hold you back more than others, but if you want to play a character who happens to be low tier, go for it. The only thing I will say is that most people simply don't have fun playing low tiers. People like to focus on how bad they are, but a lot of the reasons they are bad are also reasons most people don't enjoy them. You are really limited in a lot of scenarios. Sometimes you will only have your 1 or 2 options and neither works when the opponent knows what they're doing. If these types of checkmate scenarios won't aggravate you, maining Kirby or Pichu will be fine.

The other main drawback to maining low tiers is people legitimately will not want to play you. Most players will consider practicing vs. you a waste of time outside of tournaments, and even those more open to it will often just want to try out their own secondaries/low tiers because they aren't taking you/your character seriously.

If being technical is the only reason you're considering low tiers, you sort of have to realize that every character can be played very technically at a high level. No matter who you play, if you want to do things that are generally good or effective, you'll need to build up good hand-eye coordination and precision, no exceptions.

Last edited:

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
It's OK because your opponent won't know the matchup by hand because they always play against top tiers and if you play the low tiers at a decent level I bet you can win but like everyone said know one likes to play low tier

Abel SSB

Smash Cadet
No the second you figure out out how to beat that low tier there should be nothing for you to do. It's more about the skill of the player. So if two people of the same skill level fight for the first time the only advantage the low tier will have is the other person not knowing the matchup. But if they have fought more than a couple times the top tier has a better chance of winning.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Yes, it is okay to main a bottom tier. You should play whichever character you have the most fun with.

However, as somebody who mained Bowser for a while, I highly recommend playing a top tier, or at least higher tier character. You will not only learn and improve faster, you have so many more options available to you. I'd recommend picking your favorite top tier character and focus on them, while playing your favorite low tier on the side just for fun.

Meez

The Fraudulent Fox
There's no problem with maining a low tier character.

The only thing I can say, is that if you start complaining after a loss and blame it on your character, you're officially that guy. It's not the winner's fault you're playing a low tier.

That being said, the low tiers are low tiers for a reason, and you'll be able to get less and less out of each of them as you try and push yourself further. Picking up say, Marth or Fox will help your Dash Dance and CG game on spacies when you go back to Pichu, and Sheik or Marth will help you edge guard better with both Pichu and Kirby.

The only thing to consider is that although Pichu has some viable stuff, Kirby has very little, and if you remain dedicated to those two characters you might find yourself playing Pichu more.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Of course it's okay to main a bottom tier. This game has 26 characters for your choosing, after all!

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
oh and one more thing second a top tier if u gonna play a low tier

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I'd say from my current experiences as a Mewtwo main, I can at least say you can have some success depending on your opponent's information on the matchup. I don't think Pichu is the worst character on the list, as he does have a very good up-air, nair, and up-smash to boot which will go into his performance as a character. Also, do note that aMSa came 5th at Apex 2015 with Yoshi and Axe beat a Fox main in under a minute: accomplishments I could only see the melee gods perform, but these low to mid-tier mains have done. Overall, I'd say you can do something.

you're seriously handicapping your potential by picking a joke character, you can main who you want but just keep that in mind.
That's actually nicely worded there.

oh and one more thing second a top tier if u gonna play a low tier
Good advice. I have a Falco that I'm currently practicing, and this would be for when your low-tier mains aren't working.

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
To be honest, if you're going to main a low tier, be prepared for some serious practicing.

comics

Smash Cadet
Maining a low tier like that isn't as easy as you think and will be harder in the long run, and if you know that, then you can play them.

If you are playing them solely because they are your best right now and those aren't actually the character you would play in an ideal world, don't main them. I picked up Falco because I loved seeing Falco play, even though Falco was my WORST character. Then, it wasn't long until Falco was my best. Keep that in mind.

Maybe have Pichu or Kirby as a pocket character to troll with in friendlies and work more on a character that is top 8 (or at least high tier) if wins are what you want.
If you are fine with playing them and knowing that you won't win as much due to your character's limitations, do it.

Have fun, and play characters you love playing!

Last edited:

comics

Smash Cadet
I don't mean to hijack this thread, so responses can go to me in a message. Just don't wanna make a new one and have people yell at me for similar threads opened already.

I've been playing Falco for a year and know all his important tech skill (shine oos, multishine, etc).

I decided I want to pick up a low tier as a character (NOT to use in bracket or mainly play) to practice in my free time .

I'm not taking away any practice from my main, as I have a set time I practice him daily.

The problem is, since I have pretty much only played Falco since I started and have almost never clicked on another character, when I switch my character back to Falco it takes a good 2 games to execute my techskill properly again due to the differences.

Will the struggle of switching back to Falco with the tech flubs go away with time? Will it hurt my Falco play even though I will be putting the same amount of time into my Falco? Thanks.

Last edited:

Meez

The Fraudulent Fox
The problem is, since I have pretty much only played Falco since I started and have almost never clicked on another character, when I switch my character back to Falco it takes a good 2 games to execute my techskill properly again due to the differences.

Will the struggle of switching back to Falco with the tech flubs go away with time? Will it hurt my Falco play even though I will be putting the same amount of time into my Falco? Thanks.
Dual spacies main myself, usually I'll only warm up one of the two before a tournament. However, the two spacies are different enough, and especially the spacies from other characters, that your muscle memory should be fine. Sometimes you do need to warm back up though, especially if you were playing a less demanding character.

Last edited:

yttik

of course it's okay, but if you want to win you should secondary a top tier

yttik

yes, it will go away over time. it might hurt your play at first but don't let it deter you if you really care about the low tier.

Meez

The Fraudulent Fox
yes, it will go away over time. it might hurt your play at first but don't let it deter you if you really care about the low tier.
Now a question for you, since I'm interested in Zelda as a pocket for friendlies.

How do you make her work in Melee? I always get **** on by Sheiks or Foxes, and not for lack of trying.

Last edited:

yttik

Now a question for you, since I'm interested in Zelda as a pocket for friendlies.

How do you make her work in Melee? I always get **** on by Sheiks or Foxes, and not for lack of trying.
work on your spacing game, landing kicks is super important and bair is almost spammed. get good at platform movement to get her general movement from being awful to 'ok'. know how to execute effective mixups because her combo and approach game is lacking. sheik is a stupid matchup and imo it's best to go for the sheik ditto on this one. fox is hard i know, but i like it because comboing fast fallers with low tiers is super satisfying.

Meez

The Fraudulent Fox
work on your spacing game, landing kicks is super important and bair is almost spammed. get good at platform movement to get her general movement from being awful to 'ok'. know how to execute effective mixups because her combo and approach game is lacking. sheik is a stupid matchup and imo it's best to go for the sheik ditto on this one. fox is hard i know, but i like it because comboing fast fallers with low tiers is super satisfying.

I feel it.

If they go Sheik I'll probably swap to Fox or Falco, friendlies or not.

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to point out Pichu is incredibly techincal, people just haven't touched even close to the important mile markers with him. You must pivot, must Inv. Wl on stage (pika/pichu are surprisingly hard compared to like falcon or sheik), and has a lot of shield pressure options, nair and shffl option that MUST be frame perfect.

Like a bad marth spamming f smash You don't fully realize how much non sense You are getting away with

gamecubeguy214

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so I'm trying to pick up Jiggs and Pikachu because they're similar to my low tier mains and they are better. The thing is, Pikachu is bigger and I'm pretty sure that means he has a bigger hurtbox allowing for easier hits, while Jiggs' moveset is completely different from Kirby's, and I'm not very used to characters that I don't use much and I feel a bit discouraged.

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu isn't as demanding because they have different naira and pikachu,s nair isn't disjointed like pichu,s.

Puff is strange.

I think playing a high tier in general is better because when You get hit as Pichu You stop playing the game for a minute till sheik is done chain throwing. Where say fox You're blessed with solid recovery options and the game doesn't just quit while You ride basic flow charts.

Sycko

Smash Rookie
I once read that Roy had the tools to win evo. Thoughts? Roys a pretty cool guy.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Roy isn't cool........he's hot. All the time, cause phir3.

Roy actually won Evo 2013 but it was covered up by the Gods.

I've already said too much

GenNyan

Smash Ace
I once read that Roy had the tools to win evo. Thoughts? Roys a pretty cool guy.
I mean, if you locked the doors to the venue and didn't let anybody else in, then roy would win by default because everyone else would be disqualified.

Roy isn't cool........he's hot. All the time, cause phir3.

Roy actually won Evo 2013 but it was covered up by the Gods.

I've already said too much
F*cking ninjas. I wanted the first sarcastic comment

Last edited:

Sycko

Smash Rookie
But actually how viable is Roy. I know hes comparable to marth as ryy is comparable to dan.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
F*cking ninjas. I wanted the first sarcastic comment
Sarcasm? Excuse you sir. I have video proof, send $5 paypal and I will email you :roymelee:

At first the video might look like another red-head Rick Astley awkwardly dancing to an infamous song. But keep watching....

But actually how viable is Roy. I know hes comparable to marth as ryy is comparable to dan.
His viability is exactly as the current and previous tier lists reflect. Not very viable at higher levels, but he's very fun to play against FFers though.

Oh and he's fun against Ganon, slower hard hitting moves = fun for Roy's counter.
Against Puff can be fun too, his Reverse Blazer KOs are very satisfying.

Last edited:

comics

Smash Cadet
Well i mean he can't chain grab like marth can and his recovery is one of the worst in the game probably, and also his attacks are the strongest in the middle opposed to the end of the sword with marth (this means you can't space properly and like always have to be in a zone where you can get hit to attack, pretty much. He's no better than the tier list shows. You can noob stomp with Roy though. He is powerful against new players that don't know much about the game.

edit: you can chain grab a bit

Last edited:

Avoin

Smash Cadet
I mean go for it.

I'm all for the exploration of mid/low tiers to expand the horizons of this game and the meta of said mid/low tiers. The game isn't all about the top 6 characters.

That being said, kirby/pichu have essentially no value and playing them to any degree will prove to be pointless for the most part at high levels of gameplay.

THAT being said, you have fun doing what you do, then more power to you. Fun is key.

hi im dennis

Smash Apprentice
Common theme I see with low tier players that pisses me off to no end:

Win: "Haha, I beat you will pichu and you were playing fox!!! LOL!!!"

Loss: "Wow, you only beat me because I was playing a low tier LOL!!"

Avoin

Smash Cadet
Common theme I see with low tier players that pisses me off to no end:

Win: "Haha, I beat you will pichu and you were playing fox!!! LOL!!!"

Loss: "Wow, you only beat me because I was playing a low tier LOL!!"
Well to be fair when i play pichu and win, it's because the player was worse.

When i play pichu and lose, i pull out my main and usually win anyways.

lose with my main, i was bested.

Top Bottom