• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it normal to feel depressed when playing?

Ruthlesslink

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ruthlesslink33
Basically,

I have been playing this game for about 5-6 years now and I'm honestly still trash at the game with very minimal improvement. This is the only game I care about so I have always wanted to be good at the game so everytime I start playing and some terrible dedede 3 stocks me I actually get incredibly depressed like it's so upsetting that I'm honestly that bad at my favourite game just makes me feel like even the things I enjoy I'm useless at that as well. Just seems like no matter what I do I'm just useless at everything in life.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I can kind of understand. I was extremely angry at the game when I started out mainly due to trying to beat World of Light in a month on two Switches and with 8-3 high school days and 4-9 work shifts 5 days of the week. Yes, I’m a high schooler who spent a two months working five shifts a week. I was frustrated beyond belief.

Now I know that wasn’t competitive Smash, but I think some things can apply, firstly I’d recommend just slowing down if you want to continue with Smash. Try other modes and get lost for a bit.

My second suggestion is to accept loses, for as terrible as that sounds. I’m not going to do the whole losing makes you better shtick, I get that it doesn’t for a good majority of the time. My suggestion is to just have fun, don’t see Smash as a game you have to win. Losing in the game can still gain you fun experiences. Just believe that Smash is about the journey, did you have fun playing as your main against an opponent? If so then the match was worth it. If you didn’t likely because they were either a spammer or just too good than you really shouldn’t feel bad.

I think the biggest advice is to play another game. Try Mario Odessey or BOTW, they are great relax type games in which you can run around and constantly feel accomplished with the crazy amount of collectibles. Smash is an infuriating game at times, so you should take a break and try something new.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I know how you feel. Though I don't play online too much I do play with friends locally. It sucks when you train really hard only to meet up and get your butt kicked by someone playing random while you're playing your main. But for me its not just about being the best player but its about what you can do with the game. I have just as much fun making and playing Mii's or building Stages than I do just playing Smash. You need to find what you enjoy about the game and focus on that. If you want to be competitive then you need to train, drill, and understand the game as in depth as possible. Watch videos about your favorite character and tournament matches with them. Practice what they do and learn how or why they do that. Its not easy and I'm not going to spend the time on it but if that's what you want then go for it. Good luck!

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Basically,

I have been playing this game for about 5-6 years now and I'm honestly still trash at the game with very minimal improvement. This is the only game I care about so I have always wanted to be good at the game so everytime I start playing and some terrible dedede 3 stocks me I actually get incredibly depressed like it's so upsetting that I'm honestly that bad at my favourite game just makes me feel like even the things I enjoy I'm useless at that as well. Just seems like no matter what I do I'm just useless at everything in life.
Which game? Because SSBU has only been out for 4 months and 24 days. It's an entirely different game. To answer your question, unless you're not taking this game seriously, yes, it's normal to become depressed when playing. Well, actually, it's normal to become depressed when you lose. If you can learn to develop a growth mindset, you'll do better. You said this King Dedede was terrible, but you got three-stocked. What does that say about your skill if that's what you honestly think about this King Dedede? Also, why do you allow this game to define your usefulness? I think that might be something you should have addressed with a therapist or psychiatrist.

Last edited:

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
don't use quickplay as a measure for your skill level, it absolutely isn't skill-based

Grimel

Smash Cadet
Getting good at Smash or any fighting game takes a long time. I am playing Smash since 64 but never made any progress because I didn't practise specific things, never really settled on a main and just didn't practise consistently enough. When I started trying to incorporate one new thing at a time and play a little bit every day I started to make progress. Playing 30 minutes every day is better than playing once a week for 4 or 5 hours.
It's also important accepting losing being part of the journey and playing to improve instead of winning but this is very hard for many people in a 1v1 situation against another human being. If playing online probably consider switching from Quickplay to Arena because there are no points on the line there.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I'd recommend getting together with a good discord group for training. The r/CrazyHand discord is really helpful and even offers free to play weekly tournaments based on player improvement.

Either that or post a replay or 2 in this thread where you get super destroyed and I/others will try to analyze what you may be doing wrong.

Top Bottom