• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it just me, or is Up-B really OP

SpeedBoost

Smash Journeyman
I mean the knock back on it is crazy! People love to camp by the ledge and once someone comes near BOOM dead. I feel the move needs to be nerfed knockback wise.

ZLink

Smash Rookie
All you have to do is shield the hitbox of up b and then it's a really easy punish on Link. And if you do get hit by it, you can still live up to decent percents by DI'ing it correctly. If you're coming from below the stage, sweet spotting your recovery is important. Link's up b isn't as broken as everyone believes it to be, especially since it's out for so long and very easy to punish if you're familiar with facing Link.

Thor

Smash Champion
I mean the knock back on it is crazy! People love to camp by the ledge and once someone comes near BOOM dead. I feel the move needs to be nerfed knockback wise.
Get good. Simple as that.
Boy, you really made a compelling argument there! I'm glad you did such a good job of explaining why upB isn't broken!

>_>

Up+b isn't overpowered at all. It's not an active hitbox on Link until frame 8 (out of shield frame 9) [the same speed Fox usmash comes out], and the move itself has a ridiculous amount of endlag [if you shield the move at the start as Captain Falcon, a short hop Falcon Punch is a guaranteed punish... that's how much endlag this move has]. Sure it hits hard, but a Chaizard Fsmash hits hard too, and that move is also not overpowered. Also, it's worth noting that the move doesn't hit below the ledge, so every character can sweetspot their recovery around it [although with Ness it's harder than with most].

The key to contesting this move is to make sure you either come in from directly above [be wary of usmash though] or else to do an aerial on Link's shield and immediately shield, landing behind Link [to avoid the grab mixup, although grab is also slow at 11 frames]. Once you do so, you should get nearly any punish you want. You could also simply bait the move out and hold shield or dash out of range, as you have over a second to punish if you shield the initial hit.

The move is very high risk, and while it often nets a high reward, it's still a move that's ridiculously risky. If someone is throwing them out all the time, bait them and punish them for using it.

Fortress

Smash Master
Most everybody has an option to deal with Link sitting at the edge waiting for a uB. Not only that, but if you get into the 'deadzone' near his center and know how to SDI, you can get a free tech off of the ledge and punish him since you can be hit by uB only once while it's active.

Link prefers to guard the ledge with something like moonwalking into the back of his folded leg on nAir, or bAir > bAir to carry them out. He's also got some gimmicks like planting a bomb at the edge and going into a ledge grab. If you understand his kit well enough, Link has a lot of tricky options at his disposal to supplement his standard ledgeguarding game. You've got so much as a matter-of-fact that at gimmicky as some of them are, the opponent isn't likely to see the same one twice, so you can always have some kind of surprise on your side. Double-bomb punting is a favorite of mine.

Top Bottom