• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it just me, or did they do something to Ness' fair?

Uffe

Smash Hero
This isn't a positive thing, this is a negative thing. I'll hit tall characters like Bayonetta with Ness' short hop fair and it just nips her and doesn't even pick her up into another fair or aerial.

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
Nah, it’s just multi-hits being multi-hits and not always connecting well. His fair is unchanged.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
They really need to fix multi-hit moves in this game. Smash 4 had it pretty much taken care of at the end of it's life so I have no idea why Ultimate went right back to square one with it.

Uffe

Smash Hero
They really need to fix multi-hit moves in this game. Smash 4 had it pretty much taken care of at the end of it's life so I have no idea why Ultimate went right back to square one with it.
Yeah. I'm pretty annoyed by his forward aerial not scooping his opponents up at 0%. He just short hops and nips them with forward air. It's pretty lame. Up aerial should work only two ways. Drag the opponent down while he's falling and using it, and hit consistently upward while jumping up. I've had people fall out of up air way too many times, even as I'm dragging them down. I don't think a lot of Ness mains are as passionate about getting him fixed. So many Pokemon Trainer mains, Ridley mains, Falcon mains, Mewtwo mains, Isabelle mains, etc., have all had their characters receive buffs through constant whining. I've been asking for Ness' grab range, both standing and dash grab to be fixed, since day one, only to have them not get fixed. I don't see other Ness mains even demanding these fixes.

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. I'm pretty annoyed by his forward aerial not scooping his opponents up at 0%. He just short hops and nips them with forward air. It's pretty lame. Up aerial should work only two ways. Drag the opponent down while he's falling and using it, and hit consistently upward while jumping up. I've had people fall out of up air way too many times, even as I'm dragging them down. I don't think a lot of Ness mains are as passionate about getting him fixed. So many Pokemon Trainer mains, Ridley mains, Falcon mains, Mewtwo mains, Isabelle mains, etc., have all had their characters receive buffs through constant whining. I've been asking for Ness' grab range, both standing and dash grab to be fixed, since day one, only to have them not get fixed. I don't see other Ness mains even demanding these fixes.
I honestly doubt there is a way to make multi-hit moves perfectly connect every time regardless of when/where you get hit. It’s just the nature of the moves. If they increase knockback of individual hits, there’s a chance of people getting pushed out of moves before they finish, like Link’s up smash and fsmash in older titles. If they decrease it, we get Zelda nair where we can’t move during the multi-hits (therefore, no more drag down combos) or it doesn’t connect. If they start putting together really complex formulas that account for more and more factors, the odds of the program going awry and causing new (and potentially worse) problems increases. Getting barely nicked isn’t going to magically warp them to the center of the move, and thats just how it is.
Multi-hits are already better than ever now, anyways. The changes to SDI makes wiggling out of an otherwise perfectly functional move impossible, parrying them is often ineffective, and they connect better and better with each new game.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I honestly doubt there is a way to make multi-hit moves perfectly connect every time regardless of when/where you get hit. It’s just the nature of the moves. If they increase knockback of individual hits, there’s a chance of people getting pushed out of moves before they finish, like Link’s up smash and fsmash in older titles. If they decrease it, we get Zelda nair where we can’t move during the multi-hits (therefore, no more drag down combos) or it doesn’t connect. If they start putting together really complex formulas that account for more and more factors, the odds of the program going awry and causing new (and potentially worse) problems increases. Getting barely nicked isn’t going to magically warp them to the center of the move, and thats just how it is.
Multi-hits are already better than ever now, anyways. The changes to SDI makes wiggling out of an otherwise perfectly functional move impossible, parrying them is often ineffective, and they connect better and better with each new game.
How is it that Greninja, Sheik, and Samus can use their up air and keep their opponent in the attack, then? Even drag them down with it. Why would Ness' up air be any different? Using forward air should be dragging taller opponents upward, because it's hitting from the chest up. The only time it is truly effective at picking up opponents is when they're already at a percentage where comboing is no longer possible. Why settle for a better multi-hit attack when it can be improved on to work properly? Up smash and down smash still have multi-hit issues as well. Characters shouldn't be popping out of those attacks when it connects. I've thrown out a charged up smash on different characters so far to where instead of being launched up, they get nipped, despite them being in the attack, and I got punished for it.

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
How is it that Greninja, Sheik, and Samus can use their up air and keep their opponent in the attack, then? Even drag them down with it. Why would Ness' up air be any different? Using forward air should be dragging taller opponents upward, because it's hitting from the chest up. The only time it is truly effective at picking up opponents is when they're already at a percentage where comboing is no longer possible. Why settle for a better multi-hit attack when it can be improved on to work properly? Up smash and down smash still have multi-hit issues as well. Characters shouldn't be popping out of those attacks when it connects. I've thrown out a charged up smash on different characters so far to where instead of being launched up, they get nipped, despite them being in the attack, and I got punished for it.
I rarely have these issues, so I dunno what else to tell you. Learn what angles/maneuvers don’t connect and stop doing them

Uffe

Smash Hero
I rarely have these issues, so I dunno what else to tell you. Learn what angles/maneuvers don’t connect and stop doing them
So it does happen, then. I shouldn't have to learn angles of an attack just for them to work. That in itself proves that these need to be fixed.

Top Bottom