• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it just harder to play online than locally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
I'd say that its harder if you practice a lot offline, like grinding tech and combos etc. Its also harder if you play characters that rely on any sort of precision, especially characters like Sheik that almost never steal free kills with accidental hits.

Its easier if you play overly rewarding characters, such as Ganon, or are willing to camp people indefinitely (projectiles or just refusal to approach). Being the defensive player that gets to react is a huge advantage online. This is why camping is so good. You get to force their approach with projectiles that are overly difficult to defend against online, and then react to their limited approach options. Same thing goes for simply never engaging your opponent, even without projectiles, but this is rarer since one of the two players is almost always forcing combat via projectiles. Highly offensive play is just not that good online since it is harder to react to defensive options before they can just throw out another defensive option. You literally have to guess the future and hope that it comes true.

Offline, offense gets a lot better, and projectiles are a lot easier to deal with. To that end, id say it depends on your play style / character and where you are used to playing. As mentioned above, lagging every game online actually benefits the player that is making the game experience ****tier, due to their consistent practice on adjusting to the timing of their lag. Its kinda BS.

Venclaire

Smash Apprentice
Depends entirely on your playstyle and if you practice online/offline more.

Definitely the campier you are, the more McDonalds your internet is, the better you'll be.

The moment you get offline with that playstyle, though... Well, spamming Falco's lasers won't do anything for you lol

J.I.L

Banned via Administration
Depends entirely on your playstyle and if you practice online/offline more.

Definitely the campier you are, the more McDonalds your internet is, the better you'll be.

The moment you get offline with that playstyle, though... Well, spamming Falco's lasers won't do anything for you lol
Oh my gosh, you weren’t even that good. I was using switch joy cons controllers.

Also, to answer the guy question. I can’t really tell a difference between online and offline. Offline is just faster due to no lag.

Venclaire

Smash Apprentice
Oh my gosh, you weren’t even that good. I was using switch joy cons controllers.

Also, to answer the guy question. I can’t really tell a difference between online and offline. Offline is just faster due to no lag.
you got 3 stocked in the falco ditto and the only games i dropped were the two in the bowser jr ditto and playing as snake, all three characters i dont play. hell, i don't even play ultimate past maybe once or twice a month, i primarily play project m

i was just using that as an example, not necessarily talking about you, as thats a common wifi playstyle lol

not gonna derail a thread again on this

Last edited:

yyy50yyy

Smash Rookie

No johns on that switch controller excuse, you shouldn't have played if you didn't have your ideal setup. You played the matches and lost, be respectful about that much at least.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
you got 3 stocked in the falco ditto and the only games i dropped were the two in the bowser jr ditto and playing as snake, all three characters i dont play. hell, i don't even play ultimate past maybe once or twice a month, i primarily play project m

i was just using that as an example, not necessarily talking about you, as thats a common wifi playstyle lol

not gonna derail a thread again on this
Where are the replays?

Venclaire

Smash Apprentice
I'll post the replays soon. I had to play him at a friends house, so the replays I did save are on her Switch. Seeing her (and the Switch) again on Saturday for a tournament, so hopefully I'll be able to get them then. I don't have a mini-SD card reader so it might be difficult and she doesn't have a computer lol

Any ideas?

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
I'll post the replays soon. I had to play him at a friends house, so the replays I did save are on her Switch. Seeing her (and the Switch) again on Saturday for a tournament, so hopefully I'll be able to get them then. I don't have a mini-SD card reader so it might be difficult and she doesn't have a computer lol

Any ideas?
Idk, maybe just go full jank and record it with your phone lul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom