• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it best for jiggs to recover high or low?

PND

Smash Champion
It's matchup based. Usually recovering from above is preferable but recovering low can have its advantages as well.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Low is better. If you revover high you are open because you are above your opponents. This can also reduce your number of jumps and you wont be able to do anything to protect yourself. When you go low, go for the edge. While doing this, use an air dodge as you DI to it in case your opponent tries to edge guard you. Float down and conserve your jumps so if it does happen, you can hop back up. Watch out for spikes though.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
There is no easy answer here. It depends on the opponent and the stage.
In some cases yes. On FD, BF, Lylat, smashville, yoshi's, ect. its best to recover down. on very few, recovering up is the BEST opinion.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
descending pound to the ledge has the same grab range as rising pound, so its best to be safe and do that
Stupidest words I have heard all day. If you want to get spiked 3 stocks out of 3, do that. Thats lagfi talking.

And it depends. Against an Olimar, recover low. Against a Marth, high.

Oh and my Q&A thread died.... It never took off and wasnt stickied. I'm gonna remake 1.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Stupidest words I have heard all day. If you want to get spiked 3 stocks out of 3, do that. Thats lagfi talking. And it depends. Against an Olimar, recover low. Against a Marth, high. Oh and my Q&A thread died.... It never took off and wasnt stickied. I'm gonna remake 1.
Accualy, I think its not that bad an idea if you are using it when you are right next to the stage. Dont think woodman does not know **** because he eats babies and does not brush his teeth. Somethimes he talks without thinking, sometimes he is right. Use it just above the stage edge. Pound will break through an opponent's spike at cirtain angles, and you get your frames quickly enough to avoid it.
xd meow always recovers like dat
i haz proof :0
http://www.getyourtournament.com/multimedia/2008/12/scsa-maylinh-and-meow-vs-champ-and.html
he always recovers like dat
Cool, meow uses retreating f-airs the same way I do, but he gets a little stale with them. Was this an old match?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Accualy, I think its not that bad an idea if you are using it when you are right next to the stage. Dont think woodman does not know **** because he eats babies and does not brush his teeth. Somethimes he talks without thinking, sometimes he is right. Use it just above the stage edge. Pound will break through an opponent's spike at cirtain angles, and you get your frames quickly enough to avoid it.
He's almost never right. Pounding diagonally into the stage leaves you very vulnerable to a SHed spike, very very vulnerable. Its safe to use if the opponent has no spike that could work, but most characters like Marth will punish you. And pound doesn't rip through it if its a falling pound and you are above them.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Thats a team match... Meow also spammed rollout in there but i doubt he would do that in a 1 on 1 match lol
Yeah team is insanely different. Team although it splits into 1 on 1 generally, you still have to watch out for your opponent behind you so a Marth is much less likely to go far a spike because onstage he can get punished badly or offstage edgehogged. A falco can't make it back a lot of the time. Zelda can be gimped. So can a lot of people. So 2v2 does not equal 1v1.

rinoH

Smash Lord
lower is more preferable to me because if you recover high that mean the only move to protect you from underneath you is dair which isnt that good for separating u from the opponent and easily out prioritized by

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Yeah team is insanely different. Team although it splits into 1 on 1 generally, you still have to watch out for your opponent behind you so a Marth is much less likely to go far a spike because onstage he can get punished badly or offstage edgehogged. A falco can't make it back a lot of the time. Zelda can be gimped. So can a lot of people. So 2v2 does not equal 1v1.
Find a recent 1v1 match of meow someone. If he uses the diaganal recover then he could be right. (lol) when your opponent is not near the edge its ok to do. (new opinion)

illinialex24

Smash Hero
lower is more preferable to me because if you recover high that mean the only move to protect you from underneath you is dair which isnt that good for separating u from the opponent and easily out prioritized by
It really depends. Characters like Marth can punish you will if you try to recover from below with D-tilt but can't do much from above.

However, characters like Olimar or Wolf is best from below. Kirby is generally from above as well, because his dair hurts and he has too many jumps so he can get you if you come from below.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Recover low and you will be safer. Going just over the edge line is safe, but just above that is bad.
AIRDODGE TOWARD THE EDGE TO AVOID BEING SPIKED OR ATTACKED

Glick

Smash Lord
I downwards pound towards ledges....

You can use the lip as a sheild. I've been doing this forever.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
To use a falling pound to get to the stage, you have to be coming in from right above and you are so vulnerable. And against a Marth, below doesn't work very well. He has too many options.
Against marth.

Most of the characters are limited with options. Its good to use in SOME cases. Not many. You are left open, but they are not going to charge the whole stage and get you before you get your invincibility frames.

If you are against a character like marth, airdodge to the edge low.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Against marth.

Most of the characters are limited with options. Its good to use in SOME cases. Not many. You are left open, but they are not going to charge the whole stage and get you before you get your invincibility frames.

If you are against a character like marth, airdodge to the edge low.
Nah because his D-tilt is too good. Using a falling pound to the edge against any character with a maneuverable spike (ie, not Ganondorf, but he is the exception) is very dumb. Since pound takes a while before it gets invincibility, a Marth, Samus, or other characters can screw with you very well. Like Diddy Kong. Or Ness. Or Lucas. Or lots of others.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Nah because his D-tilt is too good. Using a falling pound to the edge against any character with a maneuverable spike (ie, not Ganondorf, but he is the exception) is very dumb. Since pound takes a while before it gets invincibility, a Marth, Samus, or other characters can screw with you very well. Like Diddy Kong. Or Ness. Or Lucas. Or lots of others.
ok then, you think its a horrible Idea, I thinks its a...... um... whats the word?.....

a.....medium idea? lol xD

5 and a half out of ten for me.
2 out of ten for you.

On your next post, list the ADVANTAGES of it. It may be hard, but its not nearly as bad as naming 10 uses for D-tilt.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
thats what i meant <<
Woodman! stop trying to steal Glick's idea!!!!
Who do you think you are?

lol jk. And it's not the best choice, but it can be used in a good way. But there are a lot of better coices. (nao I understand alex. But seriously, list the advantages xD.)

illinialex24

Smash Hero
ok then, you think its a horrible Idea, I thinks its a...... um... whats the word?.....

a.....medium idea? lol xD

5 and a half out of ten for me.
2 out of ten for you.

On your next post, list the ADVANTAGES of it. It may be hard, but its not nearly as bad as naming 10 uses for D-tilt.
Against a character like Jigglypuff, its a safe way to get to the ledge. This is a lot of why puff dittos are so bad, they can give you habits that you think are safe against other opponents that truly aren't. Its also decent against characters like Pit who don't have a spike or Bowser who are so large and can't do much to you.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Against a character like Jigglypuff, its a safe way to get to the ledge. This is a lot of why puff dittos are so bad, they can give you habits that you think are safe against other opponents that truly aren't. Its also decent against characters like Pit who don't have a spike or Bowser who are so large and can't do much to you.
I want to change the subject from this pound use. Lets get back to low and high.

You said that marth gimps low recovery, but how is high better against him? The reson why you dont want to go high is because your weakest point is under you. Floating over your opponent is dangerous because most chacters have good U-airs kill moves. (bowser, fox) and some have good "combo" u-airs. (marth, mario, weegee)

Top Bottom