• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it a good idea to secondary Lucina?

McWaffles

Still grinding to be decent.
Slippi.gg
JAKE#988
NNID
TheMcWaffles
3DS FC
2337-7097-9360
Switch FC
SW-6907-3206-1991
Hey Lucina boards! I come from the Robin boards and was wondering if it were to be a good idea to secondary Chick Marth? lmao any response would be appreciated. I was looking for stuff about her, but the guides on her (the 3) aren't too helpful :/ maybe a mentor would help?

Jaypen7

Smash Cadet
Depends on what match-ups you intend to use her for. In general Lucina does play like Marth except for some different mixups here and there. Another thing to note, yes you still need to space well with Lucina because she still has the same moveset and frame-data as Marth. If you want to go in-depth about Lucina head over to the Marth discord and we all can help you. The link is in a thread somewhere on here, probably on the first page

Nika

Smash Cadet
Yeah, Lucina has kind of an interesting matchup spread. Not sure how it compares to Robin's, I don't know his very well. What matchups do you want a secondary for?

McWaffles

Slippi.gg
JAKE#988
NNID
TheMcWaffles
3DS FC
2337-7097-9360
Switch FC
SW-6907-3206-1991
It's not necessarily for matchups, but just as a backup as if I'm not feeling it with Robin, so I'll play Lucina or somewhat. The only matchup I would not use Robin in would probably be Fox / Kirby

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
As someone who regularly uses both, I can confirm there are very few matchups Lucina covers that Robin can't, the most notorious one is possibly Toon Link (that I find difficult to face); along with Mario, Fox and Rosalina (that both still lose, but Lucy MIGHT have a slightly better time, at least I have it).
:196:

Nika

Smash Cadet
Toon Link is by far one of Lucina's worst matchups. She's good vs. Rosalina though, it's probably an even mu or maybe slightly in Lucina's favor - the sword makes it pretty easy to kill Luma. I would say Mario and Fox are roughly even, maybe slight disadvantage to Lucina.

Not sure about picking up Lucina as a generalist secondary. On the one hand, she has a pretty high floor - she's easy to pick up and use at a decent level. On the other hand, she has a decent number of bad matchups, so it might be worth using someone who's a little higher on the tier list. (I would recommend her over Marth as a secondary - Marth requires a lot of precision and training to be superior to her.) Some easy higher-tier options might be Diddy, Mario, or Cloud.

Main reason I'd recommend her as a secondary would be because she covers some high-tier matchups well, like Ryu, Rosalina, Yoshi, and especially Ness. But yeah, maybe not if you just want someone to fall back on.

Last edited:

McWaffles

Slippi.gg
JAKE#988
NNID
TheMcWaffles
3DS FC
2337-7097-9360
Switch FC
SW-6907-3206-1991
Thanks guys :) I'll probably keep her in mind as a pocket or so. :)

Tomoya

Smash Apprentice
Lucina is quite the consistent character compared to Marth but Robin has a better time against alot of the matchups due to projectile game and overall combo potential. Lucina and Marth's struggle is that you have to outplay them in every way especially win in the neutral game and using optimal punish rather throwing caution to the wind. Really it's basic knowledge but Lucina and Marth are required to have that strength in order to win at top level play.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
So I'm not sure what the deal is but I never considered the information i see here to be accurate. Lucina can fight Toon Link just fine. It's the way it's always been; she doesn't really struggle in that regard and she can fight plenty of matchups that I think Robin could struggle with. Lucina's matchup spread is pretty great; just have to worry about Sonic (And Knuckles)

ChickenFries64

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChickenFries64
Lucina is awesome she is not Marth on training wheels and should not be ignored. I prefer Marth but i think if you are looking for a secondary Lucina>Marth

Kaze Arashi

Smash Journeyman
Queens New York. Occasionally in Smashville
NNID
marshie2014
Its a good balance between using robin and lucina. Lucina can cover robin mu's like fox and rosalina since she doesn't worry about reflector. Robin can cover lucina mu's like falcon or bowser since he's a better Zoner and projectiles

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
It is for me since she appears to be one of the less tricky fighters to learn and master.

Yeah, let me tell y'all. In the past, I've studied every character's frame data and noticed they had difficulty ratings which I easily believed were true. I have to wonder why those ratings were rescinded?

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
She is a great secondary, and while she is easier to learn than the average character, you have to dedicate a lot of time to exploit her full potential.

Top Bottom