• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Hbox the GOAT?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
That's really shaky logic considering that the phrase "Greatest of all time" includes *all time*. In other words, longevity is needed to truly attain that title.
"All time" is being interpreted depending on how people interpret "greatest". If greatest means "highest skill ever displayed" then you're still looking at the entire history of melee (all time), but longevity isn't needed. Traditionally speaking though, it's generally accepted that the term "GOAT" does imply longevity to the success.

You have to ask yourself... If Ken never stopped losing, and won every tourney from 2006-2016, and a random guy entered the largest tourney ever and 4-stocked every relevant player on earth, including Ken, and then disappeared, is Ken the goat, or the man that clearly dominated the world one time (exhibiting a skill level clearly above Ken's ceiling)?

Last edited:

EnigmaticScarecrow

Smash Cadet
That's really shaky logic considering that the phrase "Greatest of all time" includes *all time*. In other words, longevity is needed to truly attain that title.
Well of course it includes all time, but since we have no way of telling the future, we're really just analyzing now and the past. If you're better than anyone else has ever been for a very short period of time, that doesn't mean you weren't the GOAT, it just means you were the GOAT for a very short amount of time.

Example: If someone becomes the richest person of all time and is surpassed 5 minutes later by someone else, they still had more money than anyone has ever had, regardless of how short they kept that title for. Likewise, if HBox has only been more skilled than anyone ever has been for say, a week, then in that week, he was the GOAT.

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
Hbox confirmed GOAT by JuggleGuy, who seeded him #1 at TBH6.

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
Hbox the GOAT wins dreamhack, to the surprise of nobody. Goats gonna goat

Brdwthacgr

Smash Rookie
GOATS dont necessarily have to be the best player in the world, because that position is often changing and their cant be more than one GOAT; they dont even have to have ever been the best imo. i say the GOAT should be the person who has made the biggest impact on the scene as a whole. while i love HBox, he definitely hasnt pushed the game very much compared to other people.

Last edited:

Skwrl

Smash Cadet
He is currently number one in the world, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he is the greatest of all time.

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
Hahaha to anyone at home talking **** on your parents wifi about Hbox, go **** yourself!

He just put on an epic clinic and displayed why player skill >>> character played. If you don't like that, you don't like Super Smash Bros Melee!

All hail Hbox the GOAT!!

Fearitself

Smash Rookie
I don't think HBox is there yet. Keep in mind Armada spent just as much time at #1 last year as HBox. I think after 2017 HBox is considerably above M2K in G.O.A.T. conversations but he is still behind Armada and Mang0. Ken's longevity as the best could give him an argument above HBox as well. I personally would put HBox as 3rd greatest currently. I do think G.O.A.T is within HBox's grasp though. If HBox stays #1 for 2018 I think then he has a really solid argument, just not quite yet.

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
HBOX wins again

Haters gonna hate but GOATS gonna GOAT

Leffen, Mango and Armada were so shook after the last tourney that they just stayed home lmao

Panzies

iCrash

Smash Cadet
I have huge respect for Hbox play, but I don't think it's fair to say he is undeniably the Goat.

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
I have huge respect for Hbox play, but I don't think it's fair to say he is undeniably the Goat.
That's true... doesn't really give him enough credit IMO

HBOX is the GOAT of GOATS

Bones0

Smash Legend
Wow... I can't decide whether trolling on SmashBoards is more or less hilarious in 2018. I feel like you could just get more responses that are way funnier on Reddit, but this is a fun throwback.

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
Wow... I can't decide whether trolling on SmashBoards is more or less hilarious in 2018. I feel like you could just get more responses that are way funnier on Reddit, but this is a fun throwback.
Reddit is for nerds and low lifes like Needlelover Mango

Ever since I saw that Hbox quit reddit, I knew I had to do the same

Also one more thing about Needlelover Mango - the reason it's so hard for him to beat Plup's Shiek is because, while most people avoid needles, Mango seeks them out.

Proptip to anyone playing Mango - pick Shiek and spam needles. EZ MONEY

Mango is the reason there's so many rehab centers in malibu

Last edited:

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
ANOTHER WIN FOR HUNGRY "THE KID" BOX

NEEDLELOVER MANGO DEFEATED AGAIN

HBOX THE GOAT

LET'S ****ING GO!!!!

SO HYPE

Last edited:

Ten of Nine

Smash Apprentice
I like the duality of this zuloon character. He's rocking the atrocious club penguin Captain America avatar that Mang0 had on his original account, but he's got his head firmly up Hbox's box. And he's using Mang0's "Let's F***ing GO" catchphrase, hmmmmm....berry interdasting.

On a serious note it's scientifically impossible to be the GOAT but also use Jigglypuff simultaneously. This is why Mang0 was only able to attain GOAT status after he ended his toxic relationship with the Puff.

Conspiracy theory - zuloon is Mang0, think about it.

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
I like the duality of this zuloon character. He's rocking the atrocious club penguin Captain America avatar that Mang0 had on his original account, but he's got his head firmly up Hbox's box. And he's using Mang0's "Let's F***ing GO" catchphrase, hmmmmm....berry interdasting.

On a serious note it's scientifically impossible to be the GOAT but also use Jigglypuff simultaneously. This is why Mang0 was only able to attain GOAT status after he ended his toxic relationship with the Puff.

Conspiracy theory - zuloon is Mang0, think about it.
HBOX KREYGASM

ChibiRoboMan

Smash Rookie
Hbox has been consistently been beating all the other Gods + Pimpleboy Leffen. How long will it be until everyone acknowledges the fact that he is the GOAT?
I feel like everyone acknowledges it (a lot of the data shows that it's mostly true)- but it's just such a tough pill to swallow. He just has always played kinda lame (Up until his major blunder in Evo 2015 so it's hard to think just 3 years ago he was doing **** like THAT and now he's wrecking everyone and claiming the #1 spot consistently)...I feel like people are lowkey hoping someone will dethrone him, no matter who it is lol.

Last edited:

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
HBOX does it again at GOML

Pimpleboy Leffen was so shook that he didn't even attend lmao

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
HBox is ****ing nuts right now. Damn his win at GOML brightened my day.

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
Hungrybox vs Crush - GOML 2018 - Melee Winners Quarter Finals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa5S0zbYznE
>14:15-14:17
wew
jigglypuff's back air.jpg

As a 2015 newfriend who's been on the bandwagon since I started watching (saw the documentary around the time), I could hardly be more satisfied with the status of the playerbase today. I hope people will soon realize that HBox is saving Melee right now by rather consistently dominating matchups that his character theoretically loses in; at this point, the meta has no where to go but up, once Jigglypuff starts losing like she is "supposed" to. Watch out for Wizzrobe, Crush, and Zain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zSeR-pBuB8
Owo
never ever

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
Just coming here to gloat once more

HBOX with a commanding victory at low tier city

Affable

Smash Rookie
LOL Armada is done. He was a flash in the pan. You won't see see getting 1st at a major any time soon (at least not one that Hbox is attending).
True considering what just happened today lmao

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
Just coming here to gloat once more

HBOX with a commanding victory at low tier city
There was a player tier difference between Leffen and Hbox in that GF set, wow.

Hbox even pulled out the ness as a crowd-pleaser/disrespect to Leffen, LMAO.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
The villain was the one we needed all along to save Melee. Poetic, in a sense. Just like Melee.

Phil Time

Smash Cadet

I am a huge fan of watching every competition in Evolution (whether Evolution continues to have Super Smash Bros. video games or not).

Therefore, I place a lot of importance in Evolution titles. I have to think that anyone that is OUTSIDE of the Super Smash Bros. community but INSIDE the Fighting Game Community also cares deeply about the Evolution titles.

Ken has 1 Evolution title.

Mango has 2 Evolution titles.

Armada has 2 Evolution titles.

Hungrybox has 1 Evolution title.

Leffen has 1 Evolution title.

If I'm not mistaken, Super Smash Bros. Melee 1.02 will be at Evolution 2019.

Until Evolution 2019 occurs, I still consider Armada and/or Mango to be the Greatest Of All Time.

Seeing as how Hungrybox has fewer Evolution titles, I definitely DON'T consider Hungrybox to be the Greatest Of All Time.

Hell, Mew2King could win Evolution 2019 in Super Smash Bros. Melee 1.02. That would definitely make this discussion more interesting.

Anything is possible. What if PPMD wins Evolution 2019 in Super Smash Bros. Melee 1.02?

I know that PPMD has many health problems that are hindering him. However, he can still return to competitions one day.

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
I'll admit Hbox has been looking a little more beatable recently. Whatever. He'll bounce back twice as strong, mark my ****ing words.

I am a huge fan of watching every competition in Evolution (whether Evolution continues to have Super Smash Bros. video games or not).

Therefore, I place a lot of importance in Evolution titles. I have to think that anyone that is OUTSIDE of the Super Smash Bros. community but INSIDE the Fighting Game Community also cares deeply about the Evolution titles.

Ken has 1 Evolution title.

Mango has 2 Evolution titles.

Armada has 2 Evolution titles.

Hungrybox has 1 Evolution title.

Leffen has 1 Evolution title.

If I'm not mistaken, Super Smash Bros. Melee 1.02 will be at Evolution 2019.

Until Evolution 2019 occurs, I still consider Armada and/or Mango to be the Greatest Of All Time.

Seeing as how Hungrybox has fewer Evolution titles, I definitely DON'T consider Hungrybox to be the Greatest Of All Time.

Hell, Mew2King could win Evolution 2019 in Super Smash Bros. Melee 1.02. That would definitely make this discussion more interesting.

Anything is possible. What if PPMD wins Evolution 2019 in Super Smash Bros. Melee 1.02?

I know that PPMD has many health problems that are hindering him. However, he can still return to competitions one day.
COPE lmao

Strong logic

"I'm a Mango/Armada **********, therefore I will make the rules such that only they can be the best"

Even though I still wish that Hbox had won just to piss off the haters, I'm happy with the result

Was a hype match tbh

Happy that a Marth won a major for once. It's been too long. (I'm also a big Ken fan)

Mark my words though. Captain Falcon will NEVER win a major/supermajor in the modern era unless it's Hbox playing him. Hbox has the talent to elevate characters beyond what their potential is believed to be. I honestly think Captain Falcon is such a ****ty character that you just can't win with him.

Glassssssssss

Smash Rookie
Captain Falcon will NEVER win a major/supermajor in the modern era unless it's Hbox playing him.
I have my doubts about this statement. Wizzrobe is a contender to win a major, given he improves and gains a match win against Armada.

Top Bottom