• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Full Hop Nair-Uair a Reliable Approach?

I Am Normal (IAN)

Smash Rookie
NNID
Chalz25
3DS FC
2466-1591-2815
I ask this question because I haven't seen many Links use this approach, except for j666. And from what I've seen, it looks like an okay approach, save for uair's ending lag. So is it a good approach option for Link, should I use it in matches, or are full hop nair-nair's better?

SAUS

Smash Ace
I ask this question because I haven't seen many Links use this approach, except for j666. And from what I've seen, it looks like an okay approach, save for uair's ending lag. So is it a good approach option for Link, should I use it in matches, or are full hop nair-nair's better?
I assume you mean when the nair cancels and then you do another aerial right away.

Up-air is probably better at lower damage where you know it will connect. It only comes out 1 frame slower than nair and you can do a lot more off of it. The main danger is if your opponent shields it, since doing the up-air right away will get you punished. Nair is a little more safe on their shield, but even then, you will probably get punished. I typically try to double jump if the first nair hits their shield.

I think this approach should be used very infrequently. If your opponent catches on, it is VERY easy to just jump up and hit you while you are slowly coming down with the nair (or with some characters, they can just up-smash you out of shield). It's best to use this when your opponent is shielding and under pressure from a bomb that has bounced off their shield. If you do it right, it will also shield poke. I still find it to be risky and something to only use once in a couple matches.

I Am Normal (IAN)

Smash Rookie
NNID
Chalz25
3DS FC
2466-1591-2815
I assume you mean when the nair cancels and then you do another aerial right away.

Up-air is probably better at lower damage where you know it will connect. It only comes out 1 frame slower than nair and you can do a lot more off of it. The main danger is if your opponent shields it, since doing the up-air right away will get you punished. Nair is a little more safe on their shield, but even then, you will probably get punished. I typically try to double jump if the first nair hits their shield.

I think this approach should be used very infrequently. If your opponent catches on, it is VERY easy to just jump up and hit you while you are slowly coming down with the nair (or with some characters, they can just up-smash you out of shield). It's best to use this when your opponent is shielding and under pressure from a bomb that has bounced off their shield. If you do it right, it will also shield poke. I still find it to be risky and something to only use once in a couple matches.
Alright thanks for the quick reply. I'll definetly try using the technique more cautiously.

Yes its wonderful. FJ nair -> uair is great. But there is a catch, its requires great reactions, is dedicated(i.e. when you go for it you go for it, you can't change your mind like you can with a fair aproach) or its somwhat risky and isnt wonderful on shield. But it launches for a combo, and we all love links combos. I find it most useful vs fox and CF.

EDIT: and I also agree with SAUSs points but that it's easy to jump out of, I always thought it was DI-dependant.

Last edited:

SAUS

Smash Ace
EDIT: and I also agree with SAUSs points but that it's easy to jump out of, I always thought it was DI-dependant.
I meant jump before the nair hits their shield. If your opponent isn't pressured and sees it coming, they can react accordingly by jumping up and attacking you or doing up-smash out of shield or something.

Top Bottom