• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

is Fox considered better than other spacies?

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
Im wondering whats the major differences between fox, falco, and wolf, and is fox considered better than all the rest of the spacies? Im not sure what the official tier list is I see so many.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
There isn't any official tier list since the game's meta is still early. But the general consensus right now is that Wolf is better than Fox, but only slightly.

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
There isn't any official tier list since the game's meta is still early. But the general consensus right now is that Wolf is better than Fox, but only slightly.
first of all incredible wario avatar, second of all thank you for your reply , but in what way is wolf better exactly?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
first of all incredible wario avatar, second of all thank you for your reply , but in what way is wolf better exactly?
Thank you
As for why Wolf is considered better. He has a better projectile with a good hit stun. His Smash attacks kill way too early, especially his down Smash. Wolf's flash is dangerous to edgeguard since it's like you're playing Russian roulette, there's a 50/50 chance you'll either hit Wolf or he'll spike you. Wolf also has a great combo game with disjointed hitboxes to add. As a matter of fact, all of Wolf's attacks hit like a truck, so even if his combo game isn't as strong as Fox's he can make up for it with his ridiculous damage output.

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
Thank you
As for why Wolf is considered better. He has a better projectile with a good hit stun. His Smash attacks kill way too early, especially his down Smash. Wolf's flash is dangerous to edgeguard since it's like you're playing Russian roulette, there's a 50/50 chance you'll either hit Wolf or he'll spike you. Wolf also has a great combo game with disjointed hitboxes to add. As a matter of fact, all of Wolf's attacks hit like a truck, so even if his combo game isn't as strong as Fox's he can make up for it with his ridiculous damage output.
Oh i see, thanks for clearing that up. Do you happen to know why falco is considered the worst spacey now? I believe in smash 4 he was the best spacey.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Oh i see, thanks for clearing that up. Do you happen to know why falco is considered the worst spacey now? I believe in smash 4 he was the best spacey.
I don't know much about Falco since I haven't tried him yet, so I can't really comment on him.

Cam61

Smash Rookie
Im definitely no expert on falco especially because I'm a fox main but falco is my secondary so I can mention things that I feel make him worse than fox. Falco struggles from the fast faller syndrome of getting comboed hard just like the other spacies however he has the highest jump in the game which is both a good and bad thing. Good for combos bad for landing. To me it feels more difficult to land as Falco compared to fox. Also in a game where speed is very useful falco is a little slow; not too slow but he is slower than fox, and wolf's initial dash speed is insane making his movement faster than falco's.

Now personally imho you can't go wrong with any of the spacies cause they all are good in their own way. You want really good rushdown to overwhelm your opponent choose fox. You want someone that has amazing kill power and easy combos choose wolf. You want someone with combos for days and an amazing offstage game pick falco.

I hope that helps a little even if it's not much.

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
Im definitely no expert on falco especially because I'm a fox main but falco is my secondary so I can mention things that I feel make him worse than fox. Falco struggles from the fast faller syndrome of getting comboed hard just like the other spacies however he has the highest jump in the game which is both a good and bad thing. Good for combos bad for landing. To me it feels more difficult to land as Falco compared to fox. Also in a game where speed is very useful falco is a little slow; not too slow but he is slower than fox, and wolf's initial dash speed is insane making his movement faster than falco's.

Now personally imho you can't go wrong with any of the spacies cause they all are good in their own way. You want really good rushdown to overwhelm your opponent choose fox. You want someone that has amazing kill power and easy combos choose wolf. You want someone with combos for days and an amazing offstage game pick falco.

I hope that helps a little even if it's not much.
Thanks for putting that in that a clear manner. Now I see. Its sorta like me as a link player, have 3 player archetypes to choose from too. Very cool

Dr3amSm4sher

Smash Cadet
Fox was a top 10, arguably top 5, character and falco was like a solid 35-40....
So that's gonna be a no from me chief

Cam61

Smash Rookie
Are you planning on participating in tournaments? If so fox or wolf would be the better choice. If not play whichever character you like cause in the end you play games for fun right? I know I do. I've always been a fox main since the beginning because at the time of smash 64 star fox SNES and 64 were my top 5 favorite games with 64 being number 1 at that time. So fox is my main because I like the character which ended up forming my playstyle rather than picking him cause of his playstyle.

In other words tier lists should really only matter if you're playing for money. Or you're leffen who thinks you need a new tier list like ever 2 weeks.

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
Are you planning on participating in tournaments? If so fox or wolf would be the better choice. If not play whichever character you like cause in the end you play games for fun right? I know I do. I've always been a fox main since the beginning because at the time of smash 64 star fox SNES and 64 were my top 5 favorite games with 64 being number 1 at that time. So fox is my main because I like the character which ended up forming my playstyle rather than picking him cause of his playstyle.

In other words tier lists should really only matter if you're playing for money. Or you're leffen who thinks you need a new tier list like ever 2 weeks.
no I just play for competitive fun. I used to play as fox in melee as well he was very fun. But I just made this thread to learn more about the spacies , and see how people compare fox, wolf, and falco now days.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
After a couple months, and as of version 2.0.2

This is the general consensus:
Fox ~ Wolf > Falco

:ultfalco:
Often, I see Falco being used in tournaments, and placed in the high tier area from early tier lists by high to top level players. The consensus is that Falco is definitely not the smash4 joke he used to be. Ffarman would be able to go into detail more better than me, I won't tag him because you can go to the Falco board / discord group, and read up on what he's already written. Bottom line, Falco is somewhere around high tier.

:ultwolf::ultfox:
These two usually are placed in the top tier for most tier lists. More often I see Fox above Wolf, sometimes Wolf is above Fox. I don't think the difference is big anyways. They both have different advantages: Fox is a glass cannon, and therefore more volatile to play as than Wolf, but has better out of shield options and speed. Wolf has a more reliable projectile and more consistent survivability than Fox.

In regards to all spacies, I honestly don't think you can go wrong playing any of them in this game. High tiers can still make it far in tournament, I mean the fact that we saw Nairo playing Ganondorf (widely considered top of mid-tier as of today and to be as good or maybe better than he was in Melee) to great success proves how varied the cast is in this game.

Top Bottom