• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is down throw regrab still a thing?

Chef BoyarDedede

Smash Rookie
Hey, so I've never been able to do this and thought that it wasn't a thing until I saw someone use it at a recent tourney. Anyone know how it works, who it works on or what their DI has to be?

trusty

Smash Apprentice
In online play I actually had a zero to death down throw combo on Ike. It was on FD and he teched away to the ledge, but I was able to regrab and then went from 8% to 77% on just down throw by the ledge. The knockback sent him off the ledge and the only way he could get out would be to air dodge down. I don't think this is possible on other stages though

trusty

Smash Apprentice
trusty trusty are there any characters where with poor DI you can do this on stage?
Yes there are but I didn't use DDD in brawl so I generally don't seek them out. I probably am not the best source lol. I know that for Heavier characters like Bowser, Charizard and DK yes, I believe Samus as well, Zelda and peach but only at very low percents. I remember doing a down throw regrab online against a GW but that was just from poor DI and teching.

trusty

Smash Apprentice
Wario as well. But really those are all about reading DI in a lot of cases and that's not my strongest suit.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Yes the chain grab works but only with improper DI. If someone is inexperienced against Dedede then you can pretty much do it consistently. That is until they learn that they can just DI down and away to avoid it. It will put them in a tech situation though so it's still possible to chain grab but it's no where near as effective as Shiek's or MK's.

Top Bottom