• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Diddy Kong Really The Problem Of Smash 4?

Gloman600

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gloman600
i think a skilled Rosalina is waaaay more threatening even captain falcon sheik and ness for that matter diddy is good but I think at the end of the day tiers make sense but don't really exist has to do all with the players

Gloman600

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gloman600
i think a skilled Rosalina is waaaay more threatening even captain falcon sheik and ness for that matter diddy is good but I think at the end of the day tiers make sense but don't really exist has to do all with the players

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
You might be right in a way, but i've yet to see a match that proves it.
Match? Pshhh, girl please. Do you know who you're talking to?

Pros -Doctor Mario
+Slightly Stronger
+Falls Faster
+More knockback
???No F.L.U.D.D

Cons -Doctor Mario
-No stalling with Cape (sideB)
-No Meteor Smash
-Slower Ground and Air speed
-Shorter Jump (like almost half the height)
-Less combos
-Overall worse recovery
???No F.L.U.D.D

I would say the cons outweigh the pros with the Doc.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eOfsoz9sZs

In the video link above, Reflex's Wario went up against Stingers's Diddy in the first match. Wario 3-stocked Diddy in that match, and he only lost one life.

I might not exactly keep track of the competitive environment, but that video can probably give people an idea that Diddy is not as overpowered as they claim him to be.

SmashF13ND

Smash Rookie
I kinda agree with the guy as it is the people playing the game that is;nt good enough to stop getting grabbed so most to who can't stop this moan that diddy is OP. Sure. It's anoying but the othing thing to do is DI it and spot dodge and pray the player you're vsing doen't know how to prvoit grab (I think it's spelled) lol

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Yep. I'm the second guy in this battle (the one with the green hat) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnuXgmzE5ug
But I gave up krump to try and get tourney level at smash.
aww you should come back. Kage 5 DVD is coming soon, and it's a perfect time to get engaged in the krump community

on topic, diddy ain't even a problem. it's his recovery, nobody has really exploited it yet. It's basically brawl snake all over again.

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
aww you should come back. Kage 5 DVD is coming soon, and it's a perfect time to get engaged in the krump community

on topic, diddy ain't even a problem. it's his recovery, nobody has really exploited it yet. It's basically brawl snake all over again.
In box me a link of stuff. I see the over hype sessions channel isn't updated. Also with diddy, I feel like once people make a solid plan how to kill him then it's game over. I just don't under stand why pros are crying. I've had more headaches from ness and his ability to edge guard with just his up b and kill with be throw. And pikachu with his new combo thunder.

drewilliam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hollowords
64, Melee, and PM don't have an undisputed number 1 like Brawl. I don't like how the dude is talking like he's preaching the mother fking gospel. But I agree with his main point.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
Dont compare it to Melee, Melee has infinite potential for growth. Smash 4, meh.
What, over a 10 year life? These games were made for a max 5 year shelf life until some newer game comes out. That's how life in general is, we don't live forever and sometimes you've just got to live with the memories.

TunaAndBacon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TunaAndBacon
Dont compare it to Melee, Melee has infinite potential for growth. Smash 4, meh.
As it stands I don't feel like Sm4sh has THAT much potential, but whenever custom moves become legal, (implying that they ever do.) I can see Sm4sh having a great, long, healthy lifespan.

CannonGanon

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0018-1498-3334
Diddy Kong is a problem, in my opinion, but it's not a problem without a solution. I main Ganondorf, the king of evil, dark magic, destruction, and being comboed about as easily as a lv 1 NPC if you grab him. Over the course of the last couple of months, I've found ways to prevent even the most confident of Diddy's on For Glory, and good ones mind you, not the ones that only know how to DThrow-UAir, from grabbing me as easy. It just comes to you and you can learn every trick Diddy has. In fact, every character is a problem (Minus maybe the F-Tiers, and even then maybe if in the right hands), it's up to you to not complain about it and instead find the weak spots of the character and exploit them. When it comes to weak spots, Diddy has much more than characters like, say, Sheik or Rosalina. He's just fast, and if you can get used to fast, you can get used to slamming Diddy Kong. That's what I think.

RainbowTrololo

Smash Rookie
NNID
RainbowTrololo
3DS FC
0018-1802-5033
The Melee Community is a large portion of the Smash community, and the most disapointed about Smash 4.
I don't see many top professionals from Brawl refusing to play SM4SH (ADHD, ESAM, Nairo...).
In other hand, top Melee players are rare in Smash4 community.
I love Melee, I love watch Melee, but you must accept that Melee community have major problems in accepting any other smash game, and usually are big crybabies about them.
Agreed. Most Melee players I meet say that they won't play Sm4sh, because it's not Melee. I guess it's just so different on the meta level that they'd take at least a few months to relearn their mains.

SonicSpeed240

Smash Rookie
After reading a post from Mew2King telling that he thought it was Sheik the overpowered character, I began thinking Diddy Kong was not so strong if I took a second look about him. At the same time, until we give it enough time, we won't need a patch since we don't understand how the characters work entirely. If Sheik is better than Diddy Kong, then that would mean all or most of the Tier Lists are wrong and we're arguing a ban for the second Top Tier.
The guy mentions we shouldn't be complaining, but not entirely.

The game does need to get a balance. At least shorten the difference between the characters match-ups. When having Zero Suit Samus, Sheik or Link facing against a Diddy Kong, I find it a good challenge, yet I can only blame myself for certain mistakes I make and understand that it is possible to win those matches if I polish my game style.

But when playing with Samus, Zelda or Ike, I find it impossible and a joke to just try. There does need to be a balance between the characters. Pull some down or push overs far up. Because it feels unfair unable to use some of my favorite characters that for a decade I've been waiting to use on tournaments, yet to the day it hasn't been possible. I don't think Banning is a solution, but nerfing does seem legit.

Then again, if Nintendo asked me if the game should get a patch, I'd tell them to give it time. We still don't understand the characters and there's no need to move pieces we don't know where they should belong.

Ps. I believe it will be Sheik at the end of the generation who'll be overpowering all over characters.
Ike is my second main and i gotta be honest, it kinda feels balanced enough as is. i know he doesn't have the speed to match, but his knockback and power is just too good. what some characters have others seem to lack. fair enough IMO

SonicSpeed240

Smash Rookie
I mean, I don't necessarily agree with how he handled it, but he's right. The games been out for nigh 4 months now. You'd think one character wouldn't be so much of a problem now. Although like I said, Rosalina is stil the better character.
I agree, Diddy may be good but i still think Rosalina or Shiek is the best in the game for now.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
I main DK and I have never, ever faced a rosalina in for glory that beat me more than once or twice. I'm not sure where this "rosalina is the best" is coming from.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
There is no best character in this game, people are just salty and/or don't like playing against Diddy.

Remember the first few weeks? Little Mac was just as used and just as hated and a lot of people thought he was "broken", and people quickly analyzed his playstyle and adapted, so keep doing that and stop crying.

This game probably won't have a good future because people would rather complain then get better.

Black Batman is correct, that video was perfection.

Side note - I find Sheik and Rosalina to be more of a threat than anyone else.

Last edited:

MDAVE

The Flying Dutchman
NNID
GoldDiaruga
3DS FC
1048-8967-3255
He may be an easy-to-win character for now, but like Omni mentioned; You can DI out of the throw!

Also, don't forget about Diddy's nerfed Down-B. His banana peel can only be used once, AND he can only hold one at a time. When thrown against opponent, it disappears. Making it way less of a threat then it was back in brawl, with the whole Glide toss shenanigans and such.

Once offstage, punish his attempts at recovering and it's over for him. He's really not as strong as Meta Knight was in brawl, where I kind could into why people wanted to ban him.

And Omni was right about the whole replacement thing as well. Just like with competitive Pokémon; once gone, another character will be stronger than the whole cast. (For example: It might even be so that said character (:4diddy:) is a counter to that character (:4sheik:) who takes the previous best character's (:4diddy:) place. Let's say Diddy was the only counter to Sheik, and he gets banned. This is not the case, but this could occur in some circumstances.)

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
I just think of the "Top 5" characters in this game, Diddy is just the easiest to use by far, which makes sense why he is so dominant in the early scene. Is he the best in the game? Probably, but not much better sheik, yoshi, ness, sonic, ZSS, etc who take more work to learn and play well.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I main DK and I have never, ever faced a rosalina in for glory that beat me more than once or twice. I'm not sure where this "rosalina is the best" is coming from.
Are you seriously, for real using FOR GLORY as your source of reference? That's worth like, -7.5 points on the credibility scale.
I agree, Diddy may be good but i still think Rosalina or Shiek is the best in the game for now.
I'd even say Yoshi is better.

HammyHowell

Smash Rookie
Ive been maining Diddy kong, and have also been trying to figure out how I could beat a Diddy if I faced someone with a better Diddy. I don't know about you guys, but facing Mario with Diddy annoys the **** out of me. Mario's fireballs destroy peanuts and bananas, and the fire ball can get a good gimp on diddy's barrel. Next, Marios cape can destroy diddy if he tries to recover with side b, and the cape can reflect peanuts and bananas.

DaRedMage

Smash Cadet
I can agree with this guy on some points, but I don't think Diddy is innocent. It's both the players and Diddy. I'm gonna try to look at this from 3 different perspectives.

Spectator: It's not fun to watch Diddy. All he does Down Throw Uair. He's the reason why I don't watch competitive Smash 4. I usually just skim through the matches. If I find something that interests me, like GimR's G&W, Falcos, Olimars, Ness, Shieks, etc; then I'll watch it. But Diddy is just boring as hell. All he does is throw a Banana, Down Throw, Uair, Fair and Bair. In CT's Final Fight, it was Keitaro VS Warchief. An epic match to determine who is the better Falco main. Then Keitario went Diddy and dominated Warchief. I was disappointed and lost some respect for Keitaro. And Diddy is everywhere, so it's quite hard for me to find matches that interest me.

Playing as Diddy: Diddy is boring to play as too. I've went on a winning spree as him, but I felt bored in the end. All I did was the usual and even though I won, I wasn't happy, just bored. I've tried other strategies as Diddy but alas, it was useless. I think I now know why when peeps play as Diddy they look like they're not having fun.

Playing Against Diddy: Diddy is quite hard to counter. The only way to counter his excessive grabbing is jumping and spot-dodging. If you jump you could get punished with a Uair. Spot dodging is hard because you have to get a perfect read and hope that they were gonna grab. You shield his Banana then he goes in for the grab. It's annoying. He's a pain in the ass to fight.

This guy is right on some points. Like Fox's Uair combo. But in a competitive tournament does Fox always do that? No. Does Link does that Up B combo all the time like Diddy? No. As for Ness, his Back throw is hella strong and needs to be tonned down, but it can only be used as a finisher. It can't be used to rack up damage like Diddy, Mario or Luigi. Yes I'm happy that matches are much faster, but who wants to watch a bunch of people doing the same thing over and over and over and over again? There are other reason why Brawl died, it was because everyone used Meta Knight, sorta like how everyone is using Diddy? In Melee at least there was some diversity, not just Fox only matches. I have to agree and the comparison. Fox and Shiek can insta kill with that Grab Combo. But Fox doesn't do it all the time like Fox and doesn't get over 50% of damage by doing it. I agree with Shiek's Chain-Grabbing poop. It's the reason I'm not a big fan of her because of that. If Diddy does get banned, then Shiek will take Diddy's place. But Sheik isn't as boring as Brain-Dead like Diddy, Smash 4 Sheik takes a lot of skill and is fun to watch. Spectators will dwindle, like Brawl. As for the players. Stop complaining. If you're not okay with it, stop playing. No one is forcing you to play Smash 4. If you don't like it, go play Melee then. And ZeRo. I'm speechless. He's the worst Diddy ever. He's boring as hell. And he's a massive hypocrite to top it all off. I'm not going into detail with ZeRo. M2K is okay but Jtails is best pony. All he did was talk aboot da "HOO HA!" Combo. There are other reasons why peeps want that damn dirty ape banned. Boring to watch, everywhere, really strong and easy to use. Does that ring a bell? Let me give you a hint, he ruined Brawl. Meta Knight. They're afraid. Afraid of Smash 4 dying because of the same reasons why Brawl died. They want Diddy banned so he doesn't become the new Meta Knight. Remember Apex 2014 Brawl Grand Finals? Me neither, because it was a snooze fest. And I have a feeling Smash 4 Apex will be the same. I'm scared too. I don't want Smash 4 competitive to die. I want it to stay alive. And that's why I can see why people want Diddy banned. As for me, I'm a 69-41 on the Diddy banned. But Smash 4 is fresh. So we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. But for now, let's dissect this game and it's techniques and secrets.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
Diddy is not OP and I disagree that the matches aren't fun to watch. Some of them aren't, but I watched some today from the Dallas tournament and those matches with the great diddy players were the most fun to watch. And this is coming from a DOnkey kong main.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
Are you seriously, for real using FOR GLORY as your source of reference? That's worth like, -7.5 points on the credibility scale.

I'd even say Yoshi is better.
I've watched the best rosalinas on local tournaments posted online and it's nothing I haven't seen from great rosalinas online. Look, I get it. Rosalina is very good vs certain characters. But against Dk, especially my Dk, I have very few issues with her.

D

Deleted member

Diddy Kong will forever be broken. You guys don't get it, at all.
ANY character that is fast and strong is instantly overpowered, done.
Also, any character where you can plow through the whole cast with skill but when you see this character you have to "find out how to beat" him, is INSTANTLY OVERPOWERED, DONE. Diddy Kong will be overpowered until the end of time unless he gets an immediate weight/power nerf.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
For those that say diddys are annoying to face, there are many more annoying characters, like ness (sometimes), but especially duck hunt and mega man, and even PAC man. The latter aren't necessarily tougher to face, but far more annoying, particularly for someone like DK.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
Diddy Kong will forever be broken. You guys don't get it, at all.
ANY character that is fast and strong is instantly overpowered, done.
Also, any character where you can plow through the whole cast with skill but when you see this character you have to "find out how to beat" him, is INSTANTLY OVERPOWERED, DONE. Diddy Kong will be overpowered until the end of time unless he gets an immediate weight/power nerf.
Diddy is a higher tier than many/most characters but it is possible to beat him and that is an open secret. The reason you don't see it is that is that the game is still in its infancy and people haven't put the necessary time and experience into learning all aspects of the game in order to beat diddy. I for one do not fear diddy as DK like I do other characters.

DaRedMage

Smash Cadet
Diddy is not OP and I disagree that the matches aren't fun to watch. Some of them aren't, but I watched some today from the Dallas tournament and those matches with the great diddy players were the most fun to watch. And this is coming from a DOnkey kong main.
Just because you main Donkey Kong, doesn't mean you shouldn't find Diddy fun to watch. What if I used that logic?

"I don't like Fox because I'm a Falco main."

Sounds dumb, right? I don't like Fox because he's too fast. I've always struggle to play as fast characters. Which is why I think Falco and Ganondorf are better than the original. I don't like him for a couple of reasons, but to not like him because I personally prefer the air is just plain dumb.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
The first sentence also said diddy is not "OP" ie OP in the way even remotely similar to what metaknight was in brawl. That is what this Dk main has to tell you.

DaRedMage

Smash Cadet
For those that say diddys are annoying to face, there are many more annoying characters, like ness (sometimes), but especially duck hunt and mega man, and even PAC man. The latter aren't necessarily tougher to face, but far more annoying, particularly for someone like DK.
They're hard to approach, not hard to fight. If you stay in their faces, they can't do jack poop (I don't want to get censored). However, Diddy is an amazing rush-down character has a spamable projectile that guarantees a over 20% follow up or it can kill you. Funny you should mention Pac-Man, cuz I man him. If you're using experience from Key spamming players, then you're playing bad Pac-Man mains.

DaRedMage

Smash Cadet
The first sentence also said diddy is not "OP" ie OP in the way even remotely similar to what metaknight was in brawl. That is what this Dk main has to tell you.
Can you please choose your word picking and structure properly? I had to read this multiple times in order to get the meaning. Diddy is the Meta Knight of this game. While not AS strong, he's still really strong.

D

Deleted member

Diddy is a higher tier than many/most characters but it is possible to beat him and that is an open secret. The reason you don't see it is that is that the game is still in its infancy and people haven't put the necessary time and experience into learning all aspects of the game in order to beat diddy. I for one do not fear diddy as DK like I do other characters.
I know how to beat Diddy. You address me as if i'm a casual. Don't tell me what i know or don't know. The very fact that we have to "find ways" to beat him, yet we don't have to find ways to beat Kirby, per say, means that Diddy Kong is overpowered, no discussion.

Any character who is fast, strong, and durable, has no weakness, and the only way to beat Diddy isn't by exploiting weaknesses, but finding characters with specific, not all, strengths that surpass Diddy's.

Go back to For Glory, by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom