• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is dedede underrated in sm4sh

keymanb

Smash Apprentice
It's come to my attention that when I try to find dedede players in sm4sh tournaments, they are really never there. A few videos but It's hard to find them. A friend of mine told me that dedede wasn't that good and I should stop playing him, that he was overrated. Can anybody give me some advice?

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
Definitely not overrated, and I wouldn't say he's too underrated

I think most people think he's just ok, which is pretty true. Super powerful and lives forever, but struggles with being comboed and walled out.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
Slightly underrated.

He's not super top tier or anything, but he pulls a lot more weight then people think he does. Great range and power, and arguably the best survivability in the game. He's got a lot going for him. He's just hard to use and not the playstyle that a lot of top players prefer..and then some generally bad matchups against top tiers, which is generally a bad thing for competitive use (though he does have decent ones like Sheik, and is a slight counter to Rosalina, so that's something)

I'd really like to see a D3 player or two go to the top. He's fun to watch, fun to play, and just plain funny.

manueluno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
manolonoe
He may be underrated... but his taunts are op for sure.

When I win a game, I can't help but mimic the celebration he does when he slams himself in the chest and starts laughing while rubbing his belly. In the meantime, the waddle dee just stares at him in amazement and bewilderment.

Soul breaking.

keymanb

Smash Apprentice
Slightly underrated.

He's not super top tier or anything, but he pulls a lot more weight then people think he does. Great range and power, and arguably the best survivability in the game. He's got a lot going for him. He's just hard to use and not the playstyle that a lot of top players prefer..and then some generally bad matchups against top tiers, which is generally a bad thing for competitive use (though he does have decent ones like Sheik, and is a slight counter to Rosalina, so that's something)

I'd really like to see a D3 player or two go to the top. He's fun to watch, fun to play, and just plain funny.
Hey, maybe it will be me. I'm going into competitive smash starting this summer.

JoeR

Smash Cadet
I mained DDD for a while, but I found that against the best players they just outspace him, smash back gordos perfectly and take adavantage of his size and speed. He has his perks, but only middle of the pack. Definately plenty of counters.

axelalexzander

Smash Cadet
I played DDD in a local tourney a couple weeks ago.

I don't think he's really underrated. I agree with above, most people feel he's just OK which is true. Pretty much smack dab in the middle of the tier list. Being slow and having a huge bit box are major weakness that bring down his other awesome attributes. He's pretty good but I don't feel he's underrated. Just underused because most people like rush characters which DDD is absolutely not. He has a playstyle that most people don't like, and frankly find boring. Also tons of people automatically write him off because they hate the gordo reflect mechanic.

Almost everyone at the tourney I was at played rush down characters...diddy, sonic, shiek, falcon, ect. And I got some hilarious comments when I was seen playing DDD. A sonic main came up to me with a very confused look after one of my matches and was like "that's your main!?!?!?!? :eek:" He looked at me like I was nuts for playing Dedede, lol. Which I probably was because there were SO many Sonic mains there.

But yeah, to be honest he's definitely not top tier and it would be a huge achievement if someone won a major tourney with him. Playing characters like Diddy and Sonic is such an uphill battle. I personally find him a blast to play though which is why I use him.

Last edited:

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman
He's a more balanced character than he was in Brawl, but I think they also stripped him of his main appeal. He doesn't have many crushing matchups like he used to, but he still has some hard counters. And, while he hits hard, he's rather predictable and therefore not that dangerous. Most characters can deal with his gordos rather easily, many can even turn them against him. He has potential, like a lot of characters, but he's not that great. Kind of ridiculous to say he's overrated though. He's not rated highly at all.

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
His match-ups with the high tier characters are pretty damn bad. I don't think he beats any of Diddy Kong, Sheik, Captain Falcon, Ness, Sonic, Mario, Fox, Luigi, Yoshi, Villager, Mega Man... in fact he probably loses pretty solidly vs. all of them, and it's hard to be successful in tournaments when you have such a hard time vs. the most popular characters.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Sometimes I feel like the heavy characters like Dedede always get so unlucky in smash games, but not because they suck like most people think. I think it is just because their counters, the rush down combo characters, are always the most popular, most experimented with, most played, and most developed in the smash community. I think that all the characters in this game are actually equally balanced more or less, but the majority of people's playstyle corresponds with the quick, light, combo characters, and so they receive the most attention, and the game basically evolves around that. Basically, the tier list in my opinion truly is a measure of how much attention each character gets, which is an indirect result of how much each character has been fleshed out, which is the reason for their level of play. I honestly believe that if Dedede got as much attention from the community as diddy or sheik did, he would soar up the tiers, and become stronger solely due to the attention he would get, and the perfecting of his playstyle across the entire community.

Therefore I don't believe that Dedede is underrated or overrated, nor is any character. I believe that the characters are where they are due to the actions of the community, and how the community rates them.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
His match-ups with the high tier characters are pretty damn bad. I don't think he beats any of Diddy Kong, Sheik, Captain Falcon, Ness, Sonic, Mario, Fox, Luigi, Yoshi, Villager, Mega Man... in fact he probably loses pretty solidly vs. all of them, and it's hard to be successful in tournaments when you have such a hard time vs. the most popular characters.
^This.

D3 has literal AIDS for match ups in this game. If any of those characters lose to D3 it means the player playing the character is actual garbage. You have to outplay SOOOOOOOOOOOO hard as D3 to be successful.

keymanb

Smash Apprentice
Well, actually. Dedede, does have a failed matchup against Falcon, Diddy, Sonic, Fox, Luigi

Otherwise, the other characters are actually destroyed by dedede, Villager is a character that requires extreme patience for example, and he has excellent finishers, but against dedede who can easily take a lot of villagers hits and survive with arguably the best survival in the game. Villager doesn't have a good matchup. And don't bring up the tier list, (Not that there is an offical one) the tier usually is defined by who uses the character, the best of the best made those characters the best in the metagame.

manueluno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
manolonoe
I think he is underrated, and only has a couple of impossible match ups (Mega man and Luigi), has some bad matchups but nothing unwinnable.

Yoshi is hard, same thing with Rob. Sonic's meta is growing rapidly because of the shift in popularity after Diddy's nerf. These last 3 characters are very tough but can be overcome, everyone else is there for the taking.

keymanb

Smash Apprentice
I think he is underrated, and only has a couple of impossible match ups (Mega man and Luigi), has some bad matchups but nothing unwinnable.

Yoshi is hard, same thing with Rob. Sonic's meta is growing rapidly because of the shift in popularity after Diddy's nerf. These last 3 characters are very tough but can be overcome, everyone else is there for the taking.
Agreeable. Thanks for the advice :bee:

axelalexzander

Smash Cadet
To me, :4zss: and :4sonic: are pretty darn close to unwinnable. Dedede's weight means nothing against Zero Suit because she can reliably KO Dedede under 90% every time with her grab + Up B combo unless you're on a stage with a high ceiling, and Sonic can just spin dash combo, retreat, spin dash combo, retreat, ect. and Dedede is too slow to do anything about it.

I actually don't find Luigi or Mega Man that bad at all. Mega Man especially if you're really good at power shielding. I'm sure they're both losing matchups though.

I think Dedede is pretty even with high tiers like Shiek, Pikachu, Rosalina and Wario. So that's not bad. That's a decent chunk of the top tiers.

It's too bad Dedede's very favorable matchups are mostly all against low tier characters like DK and Gannon.

Last edited:

keymanb

Smash Apprentice
To me, :4zss: and :4sonic: are pretty darn close to unwinnable. Dedede's weight means nothing against Zero Suit because she can reliably KO Dedede under 90% every time with her grab + Up B combo unless you're on a stage with a high ceiling, and Sonic can just spin dash combo, retreat, spin dash combo, retreat, ect. and Dedede is too slow to do anything about it.

I actually don't find Luigi or Mega Man that bad at all. Mega Man especially if you're really good at power shielding. I'm sure they're both losing matchups though.

I think Dedede is pretty even with high tiers like Shiek, Pikachu, Rosalina and Wario. So that's not bad. That's a decent chunk of the top tiers.

It's too bad Dedede's very favorable matchups are mostly all against low tier characters like DK and Gannon.
What makes you think being slow will stop dedede? It's about the player using dedede, not dedede himself. If you get the reads and understand the tactic, know how to counter it and effectively counter it. You are good to go, I beat sonic a lot. Haven't gone for ZSS.

manueluno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
manolonoe
@ axelalexzander axelalexzander ZSS's UpB is powerful, but killing below 90 percent is too much, maybe you are not DIing correctly. I believe it only connects with the final kick if the very first hit of the move pulls you in, otherwise you can DI while the move is going on. And at the end of the day, is just one move, don't put yourself in a position where she can use it. I don't think her UpB is a guaranteed follow up after a grab, if she is launching you upwards DI to the sides and be ready to airdodge.

Sonic is a very boring game because of all the waiting, but you can always shield the spindash. Also, I have been able to parry their spindash with dtilt. So, dtilt then ftilt to rack up some damage.

Edit: Wht can't I fix the size of the text?

Last edited:

axelalexzander

Smash Cadet
@ axelalexzander axelalexzander ZSS's UpB is powerful, but killing below 90 percent is too much, maybe you are not DIing correctly. I believe it only connects with the final kick if the very first hit of the move pulls you in, otherwise you can DI while the move is going on. And at the end of the day, is just one move, don't put yourself in a position where she can use it. I don't think her UpB is a guaranteed follow up after a grab, if she is launching you upwards DI to the sides and be ready to airdodge.

Sonic is a very boring game because of all the waiting, but you can always shield the spindash. Also, I have been able to parry their spindash with dtilt. So, dtilt then ftilt to rack up some damage.

Edit: Wht can't I fix the size of the text?
I've not figured out a way to DI out of the Dthrow--->Up B. That would be awesome if you can.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
I've not figured out a way to DI out of the Dthrow--->Up B. That would be awesome if you can.
Just mix up your DI, it's not a true combo at KO percents. Like Pikachu's Thunder or Sonic's UpB combos. Either hold Up and Away or Up and Towards to mix her up. Then airdodge (though don't get baited there, time it in reaction).

Last edited:

backalleyracer

Smash Rookie
I have been maining with DDD for a while now - I feel as though he is not TOP tier, but with proper reads, does very well even against top tier characters!

I also find, using his Neutral B is hilarious and provides a great opportunity for mix ups. He is all about reading the oppoented because he can't react fast enough :/

atomicblast360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AtomicBlast360
Under rated as in he's not as awful as some people say, but honestly he's no higher than Mid I don't think, I wanna see Dedede players continue to improve his meta though!

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I wish they had given him and other heavies tough guy attributes like Bowser has.

It's sad: SSB4 is definitely the smash game that has tried the hardest to give heavies advantages to compensate for their weaknesses, but even it didn't really go all the way on that front. :\

It doesn't matter if you die 50% later if you're easily comboed for that 50% to start with...

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
I'm just going to go on the limb here.

Play the character that suits your play style the best. You don't need anyone to decide whether a character is good or not.

In topic of Dedede, I really like him, and I would personally say he belongs slightly above the middle portion of tier lists. I'd argue that he's the best heavyweight in the game, despite heavyweights never really having a good reputation in the past smash games until Smash 4, where they've been improved. I've done a competitive local tournament two months ago and got second place with nobody but Dedede (I lost to a Diddy Kong). In fact, a few fellow smashers there were impressed and decided to try Dedede out for themselves. That aside, I'll go back to what I've said before: use the character you enjoy the most; you know, that one character you KO the most with.

If you were to join the competitive scene, however, then you would really need to enhance your Dedede. If you don't feel confident about using Dedede then switch to another character, because, trust me, Dedede really doesn't do well in competitive play. I did a risky thing using only, and ONLY, Dedede in a tournament. He could have easily costed me that second place. If I were you, I'd learn how to deal with these quick characters: Shiek, Sonic, C. Falcon, Diddy Kong and Fox. These are popular selections in tournaments, and if you learn how to deal with these characters, then you could be walking out of there as a #1 winner.

Last edited:

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
Dedede, is alright. Not terrible, but not anywhere near the top.

He is what I like to call a "struggle character". Most D3's that appeared when the game came out have left to better (and smaller sized) things.

If Dedede had a grab game like Luigi's , he'd be fantastic. But he doesn't.

TKOWL

Smash Apprentice
I agree with everyone else here saying that Dedede is about a mid-tiered character, and imo the best heavyweight in the game (if you don't count Wario). He definitely has his bad matchups and his frame makes him combo food but his survivability, reach, and the Gordo being a fantastic spacing tool are really strong positives.

At the very least, he's annoying and has way more versatility than his bretherin like Bowser and DK.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
I'd remove Captain Falcon from this list. But other than that, I agree with you. Dedede does well against most of the cast, but some of the top tier threats are nearly impossible to beat, plus he has a difficult time against crappy characters like Toon Link and Samus.

MrNasty

Smash Rookie
NNID
Definitely not overrated, and I wouldn't say he's too underrated

I think most people think he's just ok, which is pretty true. Super powerful and lives forever, but struggles with being comboed and walled out.
The best thing about this D3 is that he has potential, unlike a lot of top-tier characters who you are kinda limited to how good you can play them. For example, almost anyone can play little Mac, but it is pretty hard to be amazing at him because you can't combo. Ganons also a character with potential.

D

Deleted member

Unfortunately, no. He's pretty bad in this game, and will only get worse if he doesn't get any attention in balance patches.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I played DDD in a local tourney a couple weeks ago.

I don't think he's really underrated. I agree with above, most people feel he's just OK which is true. Pretty much smack dab in the middle of the tier list. Being slow and having a huge bit box are major weakness that bring down his other awesome attributes. He's pretty good but I don't feel he's underrated. Just underused because most people like rush characters which DDD is absolutely not. He has a playstyle that most people don't like, and frankly find boring. Also tons of people automatically write him off because they hate the gordo reflect mechanic.

Almost everyone at the tourney I was at played rush down characters...diddy, sonic, shiek, falcon, ect. And I got some hilarious comments when I was seen playing DDD. A sonic main came up to me with a very confused look after one of my matches and was like "that's your main!?!?!?!? :eek:" He looked at me like I was nuts for playing Dedede, lol. Which I probably was because there were SO many Sonic mains there.

But yeah, to be honest he's definitely not top tier and it would be a huge achievement if someone won a major tourney with him. Playing characters like Diddy and Sonic is such an uphill battle. I personally find him a blast to play though which is why I use him.
I think people generally see D3 as a joke char i still main him though. Can do some crazy stuff

Top Bottom