• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is DDD the best heavyweight?

Terry Bogard

Smash Apprentice
I started thinking this after one of the worst losses I've experienced. IMO, DDD has aerials that come out super early, a really good up special, and it's possible to do crazy shots with the gordo that can royally screw with your opponent. He's also the only heavyweight that can multijump.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
As a Bowser main I fully agree with everything said by Eremurus Eremurus above me. Bowser is the best superheavy, but if we're counting heavies in general, it's probably Snake.
DDD is pretty alright in my opinion, but yeah, you can lose hard to him if you don't know what you're doing. Even I have troubles against him. But he's certainly worse than Bowser.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I started thinking this after one of the worst losses I've experienced. IMO, DDD has aerials that come out super early, a really good up special, and it's possible to do crazy shots with the gordo that can royally screw with your opponent. He's also the only heavyweight that can multijump.
It all depends on what you mean by "best." I am aware of two schools of thought:

1. Some think that certain characters are objectively worse or better than others. That is, if you take two players of exactly equal skill, give one a low-tier character, and give the other a high-tier character, then discounting chance or "slip-ups," the player using the high-tier character, practically speaking, will be the winner. People in this school of thought construct tier lists based on the concept of the static worth of a character when viewed through the lens of specific match-ups.

2. My school of thought (I do not know how popular or common of an opinion it is, so I speak for myself ) believes that unless a character was specifically designed to be inferior, there can be no static tier list. Rather a character's value depends not only on the character, but also the experience, playstyle, motivation, and immediate condition of the player; those of the opponent player; and the stage. In other words, this school of thought would construct a tier list that evolves smoothly as a function of play time and real time (if it were possible to model the behavior of such a list), and everyone's tier lists would thus be different, even from moment to moment!

I am still working out the best way to express my thoughts on this, but I do not believe one can truly call a character to be worst unless the sum of their "active and passive utilities" falls below a "joke constant"(terms I have come to use).

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Definitely not. Dedede is really bad overall, with slow moves that make for one of the worst neutrals in the entire game, and poor hitboxes on some of his moves, such as nair. I think Dedede is among the worst of the cast, though that doesn't mean he's lacking completely. It's Ultimate, where even bad characters have enough to succeed now and again. Additionally, if you played online, that buffs Dedede tremendously. So that is probably why we differ so much on our feelings towards him.

If Ganondorf wasn't so bad, I would argue that Dedede is the worst heavy. Charizard is fast with a ton of kill options, Incin's entire kit is excellent moves plus Revenge to help his disadvantage out a lot, DK is fast with swordlike range and a great combo game, K Rool has armor and projectiles that aren't as detrimental as Gordos, and Bowser's entire kit is excellent moves backed up by being fast. I think Dedede pales in comparison to all of them.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Definitely not. Dedede is really bad overall, with slow moves that make for one of the worst neutrals in the entire game, and poor hitboxes on some of his moves, such as nair. I think Dedede is among the worst of the cast, though that doesn't mean he's lacking completely. It's Ultimate, where even bad characters have enough to succeed now and again. Additionally, if you played online, that buffs Dedede tremendously. So that is probably why we differ so much on our feelings towards him.

If Ganondorf wasn't so bad, I would argue that Dedede is the worst heavy. Charizard is fast with a ton of kill options, Incin's entire kit is excellent moves plus Revenge to help his disadvantage out a lot, DK is fast with swordlike range and a great combo game, K Rool has armor and projectiles that aren't as detrimental as Gordos, and Bowser's entire kit is excellent moves backed up by being fast. I think Dedede pales in comparison to all of them.
I wish I could accelerate my plans to play Ultimate, for this sounds like it could be a fun debate! Unfortunately, my experience stops at Brawl.

Top Bottom