• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is competitive Corrin dead?

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice
I did at one point.

But then Spacejam created the shield safety calculator which lets people calculate their own shield safety. It works for any part of a move, and imaginary ones too making it super important for modders!

(also cheers for the compliment!)
Oh I see, me and my chromebook can't use that XD, but I see the reasoning.

D

Deleted member 189823

Something I noticed over my times playing Corrin, spacing is evvverrrryythhhiing. Emphasis on everything. When we get caught in a combo, we get caught. Mario, Pikachu, Fox, C.Falcon, you name it. and yet, I still feel we got the upper hand in these matchups, assuming you get this right (I generally don't, which is why I offer you this little tidbit of experience). But, hell, we punish. We got our range in check. We got 'dem combos. Yesterday I pulled off 64% on pure F-air/N-air strings by reading airdodges (frametraps are a thing, you know).

Waiting for the day I can get this right and actually play well at a tournament so I can show people how good we are.

Oh remember "cloud is a mid tier"? That was rich.
Remember MK before Leo? I sure don't.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 189823

So, basically, what I was saying.

also, C0rvus, personal experience isn't the best judge. If I were to judge Corrin on my hideous Top 49 at weeklies, he'd be Low tier.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I mean, I know how to separate my performance with a character from my opinion of them. In the case of Corrin, I actually do better with him than with most characters. I'd attribute that to the ease of use of the character mostly, but still.

For what it's worth, I think the character is quite relevant and pretty strong. Character has good matchups against Mario and Rosalina, seems good enough against Sheik too. Beats Villager and Ness. Only really loses to Diddy and Fox, and arguably Mewtwo and a couple others. Solid, solid, solid. My qualms are to the character's future; I don't see much room to grow.

fireb4llzz

Smash Rookie
Well, Cosmos just beat Hyuga so Corrin is starting to gain at least some traction. Shame he's no longer going to CEO, I feel like he could have gotten far.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

I mean, I know how to separate my performance with a character from my opinion of them. In the case of Corrin, I actually do better with him than with most characters. I'd attribute that to the ease of use of the character mostly, but still.

For what it's worth, I think the character is quite relevant and pretty strong. Character has good matchups against Mario and Rosalina, seems good enough against Sheik too. Beats Villager and Ness. Only really loses to Diddy and Fox, and arguably Mewtwo and a couple others. Solid, solid, solid. My qualms are to the character's future; I don't see much room to grow.
Great, I like that. You also seem more open-minded about that possibility. a little curious about these "few others", myself. Diddy and Fox are about as hard as it gets. Currently not super sure if Sheik is as hard as I thought it was. For starters, we have an easy 30-40% off of D-Tilt at very low percents, we kill super early and we still outrange her whole moveset. My issue was with F-air, Needles and how they kept you in Shield, but rising F-air seems to have opened up a lot more possibilities in terms of spacing. Who's to say we can't bait Sheik into mistakes ourselves? a whiffed F-air (mis-spaced, assuming you predict it) is 18-19% and a potential follow-up at low to mid-percents.

I'm beginning to think we do murder Ness. We outrange him pretty handily, he doesn't really have much of anything to keep us out (we outrange his F-air), PK Fire sucks and it's a lot easier to avoid getting grabbed if you're constantly jumping (I mean, what's he going to do about it? F-air to get outranged?). Get him to PK Thunder offstage and he dies at like 30-40 before Rage (which is where I think we take the MU easily).

Well, Cosmos just beat Hyuga so Corrin is starting to gain at least some traction. Shame he's no longer going to CEO, I feel like he could have gotten far.
waitwhatwhen
I so need to watch that. also, spoiler alert d00d.

also got people to finally call him, well, him. He/She/Corrin's fine, lol.

D

Deleted member 189823

Is there an specific reason Ryuga still pops up when it comes to top Corrins, let alone "the best"? I literally had no idea who this guy was until that one tournament since pre-patch. Then, poof. Disappeared. Still keep hearing his name, despite not having had seen him play after that. Just saw the stream of LTC of Cosmos vs. zeRo and the commentators were like "2nd after Ryuga". 2nd after what? Cosmos was around literally since day 1 and kept it going ever since, locals or not.

EDIT: Insane showing by Cosmos. Goes to prove my point even further.
Competetive Corrin has only begun. We started out as a tiny spark of a gimmick, but now we're a real character.

ps: Graaaaaaaaaaab

Ryuga just got 5th at Breakout (recent tournament) considering that this happened to him. He's still good. Cosmos got 4th at LTC but uh, I don't wanna chime in on discussing who the best Corrin is. They're both good anyway

Also, Corrin slightly beats (according to Ryuga) or goes even (according to Cosmos) with Mewtwo. Could be main bias but Cosmos did just come off fresh from being Mew^2 in LTC (2-1). Don't murder me for this. I'm just throwing these opinions in here

Last edited:

Laken64

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-0523-8094
Anyone have a link to Cosmos vs ZeRo? I can't seem to find it.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I think that Ryuga is a more intelligent player, and he seems to know more about the character and her future than most. Cosmos has been out there getting some results lately, though. Both are good and will be the biggest reps for Corrin in the US for the foreseeable future. Frozen is also pretty strong, but he focuses more on PM iirc.

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice
I think that Ryuga is a more intelligent player, and he seems to know more about the character and her future than most. Cosmos has been out there getting some results lately, though. Both are good and will be the biggest reps for Corrin in the US for the foreseeable future. Frozen is also pretty strong, but he focuses more on PM iirc.
Tbh the way I see cosmos is more a lab rat and knows the ins and outs, but lacks experience. Ryuga is the opposite doe.

Last edited:

SaikaGaleforce

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0920-3121-7264
honestly, corrin is probably going to need someone to sweep in from nowhere and win with her to get back the popularity she had pre-nerf, like salem did with bayo or like istudying did with greninja.

D

Deleted member 189823

honestly, corrin is probably going to need someone to sweep in from nowhere and win with her to get back the popularity she had pre-nerf, like salem did with bayo or like istudying did with greninja.
..."pre-nerf"? No one was really doing a thing bar Ryuga doing well at one stacked tournament and Cosmos winning locals (aka what he never stopped doing). Our nerfs never meant a thing. And, if anything, people were starting to come out more towards the last 3rd of the year (Cosmos did really well at two important tournaments, including resetting on Ally at GFs and taking him to Last Game-Last Hit.

Regardless, you're not entirely wrong. Corrin needs a big sweep from under that rug...

Top Bottom