• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is competitive Corrin dead?

UnicornSparkle

Smash Rookie
It seems like the biggest names that play Corrin in tournaments (Ryo and Ryuga) have dropped them or moved them to secondary after the nerfs in 1.1.5. Do you guys think Corrin is falling off in terms of competitive play? Were the nerfs that bad?

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
It seems like the biggest names that play Corrin in tournaments (Ryo and Ryuga) have dropped them or moved them to secondary after the nerfs in 1.1.5. Do you guys think Corrin is falling off in terms of competitive play? Were the nerfs that bad?
Ryo has always used Corrin as a secondary and Ryuga has never dropped her. In fact, I think he would be pretty mad to hear that.

Corrin's tournament presence is on a down turn, but she's still doing decently. Her recent results have been good and she's had a few notable top 8 placings in Japan. CosmicCosmos is kicking all sorts of ass with Corrin as well.

And no, the nerfs were not that bad at all.

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice
Nah, its not dead just she's a rarer character to see in higher lvl tourney. Much Like Ryu or mewtwo shes good, but not instantly top 5 dlc character (atm Ryu is somewhat arguable), and those two are only just starting to get larger rep. Corrin has been out for an even shorter time. We also have a Rep issue in that our best Corrin solo mains don't really travel.... so its really hard to tell how good Corrin is from results atm.

D

Deleted member 189823

Ryo still co-main them as far as I see.
how did i not-
suscribes to MVG

anyway, Ryo's actually using a lot more Roy lately. In place of Corrin, even. He'll pretty much always have a Corrin, in spite of that.

Ryo has always used Corrin as a secondary and Ryuga has never dropped her. In fact, I think he would be pretty mad to hear that.
and yet, even as a mere secondary, Ryo's always done more with the character. I literally only heard about Ryuga once and how he beat a few people like ally, Dabu & inoto at a tournament and then proceeded to get downloaded by GFs. after that, I haven't heard of him at all. and it was sort of in the begginings, which only makes me think people just didn't know stuff about the character to counter it.

Corrin's tournament presence is on a down turn, but she's still doing decently. Her recent results have been good and she's had a few notable top 8 placings in Japan. CosmicCosmos is kicking all sorts of *** with Corrin as well.
Cosmos is and pretty much has always been the best Corrin, based on results. It'd be pretty unfair not to give it to him, as consistent he has been. Everyone else either uses Corrin as a secondary for some matchup or stuff like that. Right after him, Ryo should be undisputable.

Never meant a thing.

Nah, its not dead just she's a rarer character to see in higher lvl tourney. Much Like Ryu or mewtwo shes good, but not instantly top 5 dlc character (atm Ryu is somewhat arguable), and those two are only just starting to get larger rep. Corrin has been out for an even shorter time. We also have a Rep issue in that our best Corrin solo mains don't really travel.... so its really hard to tell how good Corrin is from results atm.
The character's very good, he just isn't as obvious a he may seem (people think of Corrin a some sort of Brawl Marth). Our weaknesses are the kind of things you'd see getting the backhand at higher level play, like not taking good care of your spacing (plenty of blindspots as well as unsafe aerials if you're not perfect with them) and our approaching isn't super strong (not many safe on shield aerials other than B-air). Doesn't help that there aren't many high-level players using him, other than, like, Ryo. ESaM feels very green to the character and Earth just feels desperately thrown in there for the sake of adding a Top 5.

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice
how did i not-
suscribes to MVG

anyway, Ryo's actually using a lot more Roy lately. In place of Corrin, even. He'll pretty much always have a Corrin, in spite of that.

and yet, even as a mere secondary, Ryo's always done more with the character. I literally only heard about Ryuga once and how he beat a few people like ally, Dabu & inoto at a tournament and then proceeded to get downloaded by GFs. after that, I haven't heard of him at all. and it was sort of in the begginings, which only makes me think people just didn't know stuff about the character to counter it.

Cosmos is and pretty much has always been the best Corrin, based on results. It'd be pretty unfair not to give it to him, as consistent he has been. Everyone else either uses Corrin as a secondary for some matchup or stuff like that. Right after him, Ryo should be undisputable.

Never meant a thing.

The character's very good, he just isn't as obvious a he may seem (people think of Corrin a some sort of Brawl Marth). Our weaknesses are the kind of things you'd see getting the backhand at higher level play, like not taking good care of your spacing (plenty of blindspots as well as unsafe aerials if you're not perfect with them) and our approaching isn't super strong (not many safe on shield aerials other than B-air). Doesn't help that there aren't many high-level players using him, other than, like, Ryo. ESaM feels very green to the character and Earth just feels desperately thrown in there for the sake of adding a Top 5.
I agree with allot you say, but there are three big things I think we underestimate as Corrin mains atm ( I am guilty of not doing these when I should be doing them more). One, how good the positioning off grabs is for Corrin . We think no follow ups , and don't do many grabs. Also i've seen Cosmos is really starting to grab allot, and I can see why. One in respecting Corrin's tools the opponent MUST shield allot. Two, Corrin in our general game plan wants the opponent either above them or at the ledge while she boxes them out. When Corrin's opponent is in either of these two positions Corrin's weaknesses are nearly completely mitigated. For example if your opponent is standing just on top of the ledge and Corrin is at the roll position there is very few ways they can get past Corrin. While Corrin's opponent is here any advantages in mobility they would have are pretty much moot ( our burst mobility and range make this highly in our advantage), also the optimal grab at the ledge even if we had follow ups would still be to throw them off stage. The biggest reason that we should be grabbing more though is to throw our opponent into this position. If thrown up then there is no shield and we can punish their landing attempts, if thrown to the ledge then we gain the aforementioned advantage state. The second thing I feel we underestimate is how safe our n-air really is. The damn thing is only -7 on shield without shield drop (which is amazing for a swordy). As long as your not in shield grab range after the push back of it then it's completely safe on shield. To be put in perspective Marth f-air TIPPERED is -8 on shield, Ike n-air is -7 on shield, and cloud N-air is -9 on shield (using these because they are the common spacing tools for each). N-air is a very safe move unless you flub your spacing enough to get shield grabbed. Now for the 3rd thing Ik there are times when people shield into your spacing and you can't fade back away quickly enough to not get shield grabbed. Yet, for that we really need to realize how good Corrin is at crossing up. For example if they are really close to you don't try to fade away, but forward and cross them up with the N-air. There they have no way to shield grab you which is pretty much the only frame 7 or lower out of shield option that the majority of the cast has. Here when crossing up your opponent has to shield drop or do an OOS b-air or something. Either of which takes 7 frames or more and you are safe. Also if you RAR a N-air and cross up you will not only be safe, but be facing their back (which is an amazing positioning advantage).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

about the Grab thing, dude, you don't have to tell me, LOL. Especifically, that's the part I most like about your problem. Firsthand, I've probably suffered the most this because all it really took to shut down a lot of Corrin's stuff is to Shield (aerials, F-Smash, Instant Pin, etc.). That's when I started playing a ton more with empty hops. and still, I feel like I'm not Grabbing anywhere as much ever since I learned how to space B-air properly (empty turnaround hop is bonkers when you can FF B-air, as RaR B-air is mostly useful against taller characters or when they jump, but it doesn't catch low hitboxes like Jolts & Fireballs). So, yeah. Grab, Grab & ****ing Grab. They'll be either conditioned to spotdodge (turnaround F-Smash catches these or charged Bite) or retreat. Regarding N-air and F-air, on paper, there's the frame advantage, but I only had found it safe against characters I outrange. I must've been really unlucky, I just never saw it. I really have to try the cross-up. I sure as hell never implemented that into my play.

Dude, if what you say is true, this is a whole game-changer for me and the metagame as whole.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice
about the Grab thing, dude, you don't have to tell me, LOL. Especifically, that's the part I most like about your problem. Firsthand, I've probably suffered the most this because all it really took to shut down a lot of Corrin's stuff is to Shield (aerials, F-Smash, Instant Pin, etc.). That's when I started playing a ton more with empty hops. and still, I feel like I'm not Grabbing anywhere as much ever since I learned how to space B-air properly (empty turnaround hop is bonkers when you can FF B-air, as RaR B-air is mostly useful against taller characters or when they jump, but it doesn't catch low hitboxes like Jolts & Fireballs). So, yeah. Grab, Grab & ****ing Grab. They'll be either conditioned to spotdodge (turnaround F-Smash catches these or charged Bite) or retreat. Regarding N-air and F-air, on paper, there's the frame advantage, but I only had found it safe against characters I outrange. I must've been really unlucky, I just never saw it. I really have to try the cross-up. I sure as hell never implemented that into my play.

Dude, if what you say is true, this is a whole game-changer for me and the metagame as whole.
I mean mostly this is things I see cosmos do allot that I don't see other corrins do allot ( Also I was a SF 4 player before this so I like dem cross ups... just kinda noticed cosmos did them too). This set of cosmos vs sethlon really extenuates it imho: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j7NkJsY9aQ

In this set you can really see him grab allot, hold the corner, and do some cross ups (one Rar n-air cross up at 1: 20... was really smart because it reversed him from the corner into roy being in the corner.. though cosmos goes greedy a little and wanted ryo off stage and roy escapes... also immediately 1: 30 f-air cross up). Honestly I feel the best place for corrin to have someone is in that corner, and once they are there try to just keep them there with grabs and properly spaced pressure (this sounds a little duh, but really just think that you are a wall and don't commit to anything that would let them escape there). Then getting them offstage, and mixing in on stage edgeguards sometimes ( he rarely goes off stage unless its a b-air that will push him back onstage before his opponent). That seems to be the base cosmos corrin game plan.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
You could say Corrin is not relevant in the current meta and you would be right, specially on the major/national scene. On the regional level, we've got some people like Biggad (Germany), Vapour (Nova Scotia, iirc), Nom (Michigan) and YOC (Japan) bringing in some respectable results, and of course Cosmos dominating the DFW area for a while now, but nothing special overall compared to a lot of other characters.

Ryuga solo mains Corrin as mentioned above, and while his previous record (even with Ike) would make me see him as the best Corrin rep at the moment, he's kinda been MIA lately so that title fairly belongs to Cosmos. Ryuga also isn't attending the big summer tournaments so it's unlikely we'll be seeing stellar Corrin results anytime soon.

A lot of people value her as a counterpick/secondary, but even then I don't see her being used as much as before 1.1.5 where players like 6WX, Larry, Regi and a slew of others would use Corrin and do well, but promptly never touched the character again around the time the patch hit. Now, I'm of the opinion that the nerfs didn't affect the character much; if you were good with Corrin in 1.1.4, then you'll still be good in 1.1.5 onward. But imo, the fact that the nerfs did happen made a lot of people realize that they didn't actually enjoy Corrin or that she wasn't as good as they thought from the get-go, and the patch just so happened to be a convenient time to jump ship. (Imho this same effect partly explains why Greninja fell off the face of the planet for a long time after Wii U release, but his nerfs were actually substantial compared to Corrin's)

There still are a few high-level players using Corrin as a secondary, like Remzi, Ryo and Esam, but all three perform notably better with their actual mains. Ryo also secondaries the entire FE crew + some others, so it doesn't really help Corrin's case, and Esam...well, his secondaries are notorious for being sub-par, even if they do take games from time to time. There's also our resident subforum mod @Raziek who secondaries Corrin, but if his GOML run is anything to go by, his Robin is by and large the one doing work also please don't leave us <3.

I personally don't believe that being competitively irrelevant inherently equals being a bad character, and Corrin has some special circumstances holding her back as already explained in this thread. Being relatively new and a not-as-obviously-busted-out-of-the-gate DLC gives high-level players little reason to drop their mains whom they've been working on for over a year now to learn a new character from scratch, with completely unique tools and a distinct gameplan. With no top-level talent backing her, Corrin's already underdeveloped metagame further stagnates, thus creating a vicious loop. It's up to new blood to prove her worth, and they won't be seeing national-scale success overnight so for now we gotta buckle up, git gud and see where this ride takes us.

TL;DR: Competitive Corrin IS [mostly] dead at the moment, but that doesn't mean that we should stop trying. If anything, Corrin being a relatively unknown character gives us some edge in terms of MU inexperience on the opponent's end :^)

Jitters

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jitters
TL;DR: Competitive Corrin IS [mostly] dead at the moment, but that doesn't mean that we should stop trying. If anything, Corrin being a relatively unknown character gives us some edge in terms of MU inexperience on the opponent's end :^)
I really feel as if it's only going to drop from here. Let's also not forget the amount of hate towards the character.
(Now that Bayonetta got a huge nerf and Roy is confirmed for god-awful tier, people are going to be looking for the next thing to hate on, and Corrin seems like a prime target)

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
Why would it drop? From very day 1 the only people who actually picked her were people who actually liked the character in one way or the other....
If anything, it could only rise as Fire Emblem gets new fans with the last game.
But it will stay a niche character for sure.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I really feel as if it's only going to drop from here. Let's also not forget the amount of hate towards the character.
(Now that Bayonetta got a huge nerf and Roy is confirmed for god-awful tier, people are going to be looking for the next thing to hate on, and Corrin seems like a prime target)
Corrin's not making a splash so she goes by kinda unnoticed by the angry mobs. There ARE people who dislike the character and think some of her moves are overtuned/busted (specially Dragon Lunge), but no one has been campaigning to get her nerfed as of yet. Some are even still salty about her inclusion in Smash, but in general the hate towards her is nowhere near what Diddy, Luigi, Sheik and Bayo have had historically. Even now, people are monitoring characters like Cloud, Ryu, Mewtwo, etc for a chance to cry foul, so I'd wager we have quite a bit of time before it's our turn, if ever.

And call me optimistic, but I feel like the character simply has too many good tools to fall into obscurity forever, and her strengths, weaknesses and overall gameplan are too unique to be outclassed by other similar characters.

D

Deleted member 189823

I mean mostly this is things I see cosmos do allot that I don't see other corrins do allot ( Also I was a SF 4 player before this so I like dem cross ups... just kinda noticed cosmos did them too). This set of cosmos vs sethlon really extenuates it imho: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j7NkJsY9aQ

In this set you can really see him grab allot, hold the corner, and do some cross ups (one Rar n-air cross up at 1: 20... was really smart because it reversed him from the corner into roy being in the corner.. though cosmos goes greedy a little and wanted ryo off stage and roy escapes... also immediately 1: 30 f-air cross up). Honestly I feel the best place for corrin to have someone is in that corner, and once they are there try to just keep them there with grabs and properly spaced pressure (this sounds a little duh, but really just think that you are a wall and don't commit to anything that would let them escape there). Then getting them offstage, and mixing in on stage edgeguards sometimes ( he rarely goes off stage unless its a b-air that will push him back onstage before his opponent). That seems to be the base cosmos corrin game plan.
as legit as Cosmos is and as awesome his plays were throughout the whole set (those Grabs were satisfying), I feel Sethlon was being Dumbass Mode and dropping Shield way too often or doing stuff like airdodging when he shouldn't have had. Doesn't help he kept allowing himself to get Grabbed all the time. again, I don't actually want to take it from Cosmos. I actually learned from all those Grabs, lol

also, are you sure about the -7 on Shield? :

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1r2VzoeB9AHdw6c4x967VKDwLIVteGW-9S6JMnMOvwHg/edit

Would make a lot sense to me if it isn't.

Jitters

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jitters
Ignorant people everywhere.
He's in the same spot he was in Melee. He also has next to nothing when it comes to results or dedicated players.
Granted, there's still no updated 'official' tier list but I'm not trying to be optimistic. Would I like to be proven wrong? Absolutely.
But only time will tell.

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice
as legit as Cosmos is and as awesome his plays were throughout the whole set (those Grabs were satisfying), I feel Sethlon was being ******* Mode and dropping Shield way too often or doing stuff like airdodging when he shouldn't have had. Doesn't help he kept allowing himself to get Grabbed all the time. again, I don't actually want to take it from Cosmos. I actually learned from all those Grabs, lol

also, are you sure about the -7 on Shield? :

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1r2VzoeB9AHdw6c4x967VKDwLIVteGW-9S6JMnMOvwHg/edit

Would make a lot sense to me if it isn't.
The one's Ive seen has it as -7, and it does 7 dmg which should be 6 frames shield stun, and the landing lag is 13 frames, the one here you gave has it listed as -8 doe which is weird (-1 with shield drop). Here is the frame data sheet I used: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...OWFwy_dg04Rrq4a-YF9-VDOhZI/edit#gid=943524191

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
All things considered, Corrin is probably a solid mid tier. Ryuga and Cosmos and sort of Ryo are repping the character, as well as a couple Japanese players (Earth and YoH? Something like that). Matchup spread-wise, I think there's always ways to develop character knowledge further. Corrin can clearly compete, maybe requires a secondary but that's not a bad thing; I think the meta is tending towards favoring players who have multiple characters.

Character is pretty straight forward, so we have to think of ways to push them further and apply their tools creatively.

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice
All things considered, Corrin is probably a solid mid tier. Ryuga and Cosmos and sort of Ryo are repping the character, as well as a couple Japanese players (Earth and YoH? Something like that). Matchup spread-wise, I think there's always ways to develop character knowledge further. Corrin can clearly compete, maybe requires a secondary but that's not a bad thing; I think the meta is tending towards favoring players who have multiple characters.

Character is pretty straight forward, so we have to think of ways to push them further and apply their tools creatively.
Imho our lack of rep atm is the main cause of the percived corrin decline. Ryuga our only top ish lvl solo main has been on hiatus since landlocked (says hell be back post CEO), and cosmos while good is not on a national lvl like Ryuga (CEO will be his first national, probs wont top 32 his first). Ryo I never expected to leave Ike (the man is a god tier loyalist... wrote and sung an Ike rap man), and I honestly dont see corrin panning out as mid tier when, Ike a character she theorrtically plays similarly too, and outclasses in most ways is considered upper mid. It is really impossible to have top lvl solo resaults when we have NO top lvl solo reps not on hiatus. You can pretty much see the same thing with villager minus Ranai atm. Is villager less good? No, just no rep. Rep has allot to do with perception.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

It's impossible for Corrin to be anything lower than high when we do pretty well against most high and top-tier characters. Not to mention the amount of good tools we have will never scream anything lower than that. Ike has a HOO Haa...and that's about it. Everything else he has, we pretty much have something of his' in our kit.

Corrin's ''straightforawrd'' only in the sense that any character with their ''bread and butters'' are. Corrin has more depth than Side-B and F-air juggles.

Imho our lack of rep atm is the main cause of the percived corrin decline. Ryuga our only top ish lvl solo main has been on hiatus since landlocked (says hell be back post CEO), and cosmos while good is not on a national lvl like Ryuga
Which is why I wonder why people kept mentioning him ever that one single tournament, like, 3 months ago? This was pre-patch. He took out ally, inoto on Winners and I think Dabus. That's about it. Ryo did a lot more in terms of raw results ever since Corrin came out, even it's co-main status. Cosmos did the most on raw results, and he's a full main, despite not being high/top-level.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
"He took sets off of 3 top level players. That's all." What? That's kind of big. I don't know who Ryo has beaten with Corrin, but I doubt it's that impressive. He's good for visibility because he's a fan favorite player, but in terms of results he's only in the lead because the other 2 don't attend much.

And Corrin isn't high tier. What relevant characters do they beat? Not slightly lose to or go even with. High tier is very competitive, I don't mean to call Corrin bad or anything, but I think they haven't quite earned such a spot. Zero's placement of then on his recent tier list is mind boggling.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

Guess you have a point on the fist one. Thing is, Ryuga pretty much didn't exist after that. ally also admitted he had no idea what to do against Corrin, and zinoto proceeded to download the hell out of his Corrin by GFs.

Regarding MUs, I feel Corrin has a pretty good MU spread. Yeah, against most other ''traditional'' top tiers (Ryu, SS, Sonic, Cloud, maybe even Fox and Pikachu), Corrin looks even. I can definitely see him beating Rosalina, MK, Mewtwo (who's currently rising among the ranks, to the point of being considered High tier himself) new Bayonetta, Yoshi, Wario and Ness. Mario looks really close to even, and it wouldn't be far-fetched to be in our very slight advantage. Smash 4 MU spreads aren't as polariing as they were in Brawl. Having this sort of matchup spread is pretty damn good and definitely isn't a ringer for ''okay-ish mid tier''. Mid tiers don't have an insane, safe on Shield Side-B (that can also kill at 100 with a TIPPER), spacing moves across the board (which are pretty safe, too, assuming you don't just throw them around), insane juggling and frametrap capabilities as well as kill setups all over the place (that aren't even that gimmicky, unless you happen to find F-air to Bite killing at 60 to be but a mere gimmick)

I can't help but sound biased and that I am over-inflating our status, but this is coming from someone who once thought we barely scraped Mid tier. Then I got better and realised Corrin has a lot more going for them than what appears to be another Marth.

When ZeRo made his list, he made it a point to emphasize that it was his personal opinion rather than it being based on results or other opinions, and even went on to clarify further that it was different from his other lists since his last ones were based on results (some weird placements still like Shulk but it isn't my list so w/e). Not saying that Corrin earned the 10th spot or anything because I don't agree with it either (at the moment). I've seen some crazy lists and I don't think that there's actually a definitive "tier list" or a "reasonable" one that a majority of the community would agree with, at the very least

Anyway, if you guys really think otherwise, maybe you should like.... y'know, hit the lab and grind some match-ups. Go to tourneys and see how things go. I don't think debating about Corrin's viability will do you guys any favors

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Well, I do go to tournaments, and play Corrin a decent amount, so I guess I kinda have a decent feeling about her "power level". It should go without saying that I will always try to improve as a player. I just personally see Corrin as an upper mid tier. Perhaps that perception could have a negative affect on my play, but I dunno.

It's not like sharing my opinion of the character is preventing me from playing the game. Maybe if we're speaking very strictly it does but I only have 1 event on a normal week, and I can't grind all day. I got a job n' hobbies and stuff :/

D

Deleted member 189823

Anyway, if you guys really think otherwise, maybe you should like.... y'know, hit the lab and grind some match-ups. Go to tourneys and see how things go. I don't think debating about Corrin's viability will do you guys any favors
Kind of generic-sounding, but it does sound only reasonable that you'd suggest that. If anything, I'm inclined on it, this time. So be it.

Well, I do go to tournaments, and play Corrin a decent amount, so I guess I kinda have a decent feeling about her "power level". It should go without saying that I will always try to improve as a player. I just personally see Corrin as an upper mid tier. Perhaps that perception could have a negative affect on my play, but I dunno.

It's not like sharing my opinion of the character is preventing me from playing the game. Maybe if we're speaking very strictly it does but I only have 1 event on a normal week, and I can't grind all day. I got a job n' hobbies and stuff :/
Me too, and all the weeklies I went to, I averaged at about 42-43rd. Never changed my opinion because I was playing bad in tournament, lol. also, for some reason, I can't picture Upper Mid as a mere ''mid tier''. I don't know, there's a reason it's seperated from the rest of the Mid. If you started with that, I might've been sort of accepting of it.

and I agree with you, it's not like we can't talk about the game when we aren't playing it. Can't go faster than weeklies, and I've only two tournaments a month. Regardless, I don't think doing normal life actitivities is an impedement to getting good. You don't need to grind 3+ hours a day everyday.

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice
When ZeRo made his list, he made it a point to emphasize that it was his personal opinion rather than it being based on results or other opinions, and even went on to clarify further that it was different from his other lists since his last ones were based on results (some weird placements still like Shulk but it isn't my list so w/e). Not saying that Corrin earned the 10th spot or anything because I don't agree with it either (at the moment). I've seen some crazy lists and I don't think that there's actually a definitive "tier list" or a "reasonable" one that a majority of the community would agree with, at the very least

oh gawd i'm still trying... still have some bracket daemons at my locals ( Fing ryoka...... aka IC junior... also happy I haven't had to face IC). Also on top of daemons I have just way better players like Ito, falln, and pretty much all the San Diego Pr under one roof (Jingen i'm just a boy). Safe to say even at my large rate of grind it's gonna be a while, regardless of character.

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice
"He took sets off of 3 top level players. That's all." What? That's kind of big. I don't know who Ryo has beaten with Corrin, but I doubt it's that impressive. He's good for visibility because he's a fan favorite player, but in terms of results he's only in the lead because the other 2 don't attend much.

And Corrin isn't high tier. What relevant characters do they beat? Not slightly lose to or go even with. High tier is very competitive, I don't mean to call Corrin bad or anything, but I think they haven't quite earned such a spot. Zero's placement of then on his recent tier list is mind boggling.
I mean for wining Mu's i'd say Ness, probs slight on mario, Ryu is very likely, and possibly rosa. I explain rosa and Ryu though. For ryu he can't force our approach, and he can't break our zone easily. If we watch for focus and don't overextend our juggles we do very good in this Mu. Also near kill percent Ryu recover is free for Corrin. Counter either of them and he's dead. Rosa we can pick luma off easily, cloud also has been shown to be able to do this, and Corrin's disjoints will probably do just as well. Also Cosmos Has a mu chart, It's not that over bias imho.... pre 1.16, post 1.15. I mean saying we have disadvantageous mu's vs 4 out of top 15, while having mostly even and possibly 4 good ones (if you think ness, also bayo is unknown mu atm). Anything close to that mu spread is not mid tier though. Diddy is the biggest hnnng though.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
That's an incredibly generous spread, and I don't buy it for a second to be honest. Rosalina is a slight loss, and even at best. I don't expect Cosmos to have a good grip on that matchup, unless maybe he plays iGGY with some frequency.

He seems to be guilty of the common error of brushing off lower tiered characters, assuming them to be winning matchups when it may not be the case. For example, Link is a fairly tough matchup, and I can't see it being that much in Corrin's favor. Granted, it may be a wining one, but no way to we win it that hard. Link's zone is bigger than ours and he thrives at the same range that we do all the same. He hates being rushed down, but that's not something Corrin is good at. I dare say Link has a pretty comfortable MU with Corrin.

I also think Marth is even, and Cloud is a slight disadvantage, so is Mewtwo.

Maybe I'm just showing my ignorance of the character and her matchups here. Maybe I'm just being a pessimist. I'm no expert.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
That's an incredibly generous spread, and I don't buy it for a second to be honest. Rosalina is a slight loss, and even at best. I don't expect Cosmos to have a good grip on that matchup, unless maybe he plays iGGY with some frequency.

He seems to be guilty of the common error of brushing off lower tiered characters, assuming them to be winning matchups when it may not be the case. For example, Link is a fairly tough matchup, and I can't see it being that much in Corrin's favor. Granted, it may be a wining one, but no way to we win it that hard. Link's zone is bigger than ours and he thrives at the same range that we do all the same. He hates being rushed down, but that's not something Corrin is good at. I dare say Link has a pretty comfortable MU with Corrin.

Maybe I'm just showing my ignorance of the character and her matchups here. Maybe I'm just being a pessimist. I'm no expert.
Nah, what you said definitely holds water. I play against a pretty good Link main, and the matchup definitely isn't free. Villager isn't even (and i'm sure Cosmos feels that way after his recent match with BC, haha). I don't think DDD's that easy either, and a few of the 6-4s could easily be 55-45s as well. Corrin imo, is a character that doesn't really lose to anyone, but she doesn't destroy characters either. Most of the characters in this game have a shot at beating her and vice versa.

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice
Nah, what you said definitely holds water. I play against a pretty good Link main, and the matchup definitely isn't free. Villager isn't even (and i'm sure Cosmos feels that way after his recent match with BC, haha). I don't think DDD's that easy either, and a few of the 6-4s could easily be 55-45s as well. Corrin imo, is a character that doesn't really lose to anyone, but she doesn't destroy characters either. Most of the characters in this game have a shot at beating her and vice versa.
I kinda second the notion personally, the only Mu I really find really annoying is diddy, but thinks like sonic sheik, and fox have been manageable. Vice versa she doesn't really crush anyone too much except certain low tier floaties... she is very good vs floaties. Also for good mu's I stand by Rosa probably being a good one just because luma doesn't pose much threat unless we are backed into a corner. Ryu is one I personally have allot of practice and we can zone him out as long as we are wary and don't overextend to get focused. Ness is probs a best relevant character mu and I view T-ink as even because if we get to him its hard for him to get away, but getting to him is the thing... god bless our dash to shield though. Also mario slight adv.

D

Deleted member 189823

I mean for wining Mu's i'd say Ness, probs slight on mario, Ryu is very likely, and possibly rosa. I explain rosa and Ryu though. For ryu he can't force our approach, and he can't break our zone easily. If we watch for focus and don't overextend our juggles we do very good in this Mu. Also near kill percent Ryu recover is free for Corrin. Counter either of them and he's dead. Rosa we can pick luma off easily, cloud also has been shown to be able to do this, and Corrin's disjoints will probably do just as well. Also Cosmos Has a mu chart, It's not that over bias imho.... pre 1.16, post 1.15. I mean saying we have disadvantageous mu's vs 4 out of top 15, while having mostly even and possibly 4 good ones (if you think ness, also bayo is unknown mu atm). Anything close to that mu spread is not mid tier though. Diddy is the biggest hnnng though.

I find Diddy closer to even. I can even make a case that pre-patch Bayonetta is even, assuming you don't jump into aerial Side-B, B-air at the wrong moment and overextend your strings (hell, our N-air clanks with her Smash attacks, LOL). We punish her grounded Side B hard and she can't really do much when we Shield her BS accordingly. You can B-air her Side-B if she doesn't recover low for an early-ish kill (70-90% near the edge). Correct me if I'm wrong, but we might even be able to punish her low recoveries with Counter or D-air. Literally never tried that. and keep in mind, this is all assuming pre-patch Bayonetta. Sonic and Diddy Kong were arguably her worst MU's, but that didn't mean she couldn't 0-death them (assuming you make a case on that, as to why Corrin would lose). New Bayonetta sounds like an easy +1. also, FH F-air to stuff.

I definitely agree on Fox and Sheik, but I also don't think it's as bad as a MU for us if we approach it well against Fox. He doesn't shut us down the way Sheik does, we can avoid his kill setups with either our range or by Shielding when he's in the air. Without those, I wouldn't find it weird to live long-ish. Not to mention we kill him early ourselves with good interceptions and setups (N-air/F-air to Bite at like 60, F-Smash his Side-B, D-air/Counter his Up-B/TIPPER, D-Tilt/N-air to U-air, etc. I also find landing isn't so hard if he's constantly fishing for it. Looks like you can just D-air it if you time it right?

Sonic looks pretty even. TrueBlue said he has trouble against Corrin because we take good advantage at juggling Sonic and being able to react pretty well to his Spindash . Our N-air lasting hitbox really helps with that. I've also gotten a few kills by simply U-air'ing him when he's U-Throw Up-B trying to U-air you setup, since it's not garanteed and we can get a kill at like 80. I've killed a Sonic at like 65+% in tournament twice in the same game like this, LOL.

Rosalina looks like a +1, without even giving much thought to it. Our moveset is pretty well built to deal with Luma. We TIPPER (Instant Pin, anyone?), F-air string her and I've even managed to spike Luma with D-air just the other day. We might come across as gimpable, but mixing our trajectory is a huuuuuuuge deal. Not to mention we can look to Counter D-air at some point. Rosalina's huge. and as such, she falls victim to stuff like FH F-air (which is lit in this specific MU) to U-air (kills at about 100 before rage) or even Side-B TIPPER. The hardest part in this MU was probably trying to land. I mixed it up by DI'ing away, B-air (extra push) and sometimes even D-air her between hitboxes. If you're ballsy, Counter. You can also aim to catch her recovery, either by Instant Pinning towards the edge, TIPPER 2-frames and maybe even D-air'ing her.

Marth looks even only because his range sort of contests with ours. B-airs beats a lot (if not, most) of his approches. We juggle harder and we have the upper hand when it comes to killing. Fighting characters that contest with your own range has a lot to do with knowing how and when to Shield, otherwise you're playing a silly game of constant trades.

Mewtwo looks like +1 for the simple fact we outrange a lot of his stuff. I've never even had any trouble with his F-air. You can either outrange his N-air or Shieldgrab it. He also holds the curse that characters like Rosalina and Bayonetta hold, which is of being huge and super light, even. This is even worse. The most menacing thing he's got going is, like, F-air and Shadow Ball (combo starter at low percent, kill move and the fact that it eats shields). U-Throw doesn't even kill us that early. You're looking at our U-Throws kill around the same percent considering the weight difference, lol.

I'll talk about Cloud later, but I think it's pretty even.

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice
I find Diddy closer to even. I can even make a case that pre-patch Bayonetta is even, assuming you don't jump into aerial Side-B, B-air at the wrong moment and overextend your strings (hell, our N-air clanks with her Smash attacks, LOL). We punish her grounded Side B hard and she can't really do much when we Shield her BS accordingly. You can B-air her Side-B if she doesn't recover low for an early-ish kill (70-90% near the edge). Correct me if I'm wrong, but we might even be able to punish her low recoveries with Counter or D-air. Literally never tried that. and keep in mind, this is all assuming pre-patch Bayonetta. Sonic and Diddy Kong were arguably her worst MU's, but that didn't mean she couldn't 0-death them (assuming you make a case on that, as to why Corrin would lose). New Bayonetta sounds like an easy +1. also, FH F-air to stuff.

I definitely agree on Fox and Sheik, but I also don't think it's as bad as a MU for us if we approach it well against Fox. He doesn't shut us down the way Sheik does, we can avoid his kill setups with either our range or by Shielding when he's in the air. Without those, I wouldn't find it weird to live long-ish. Not to mention we kill him early ourselves with good interceptions and setups (N-air/F-air to Bite at like 60, F-Smash his Side-B, D-air/Counter his Up-B/TIPPER, D-Tilt/N-air to U-air, etc. I also find landing isn't so hard if he's constantly fishing for it. Looks like you can just D-air it if you time it right?

Sonic looks pretty even. TrueBlue said he has trouble against Corrin because we take good advantage at juggling Sonic and being able to react pretty well to his Spindash . Our N-air lasting hitbox really helps with that. I've also gotten a few kills by simply U-air'ing him when he's U-Throw Up-B trying to U-air you setup, since it's not garanteed and we can get a kill at like 80. I've killed a Sonic at like 65+% in tournament twice in the same game like this, LOL.

Rosalina looks like a +1, without even giving much thought to it. Our moveset is pretty well built to deal with Luma. We TIPPER (Instant Pin, anyone?), F-air string her and I've even managed to spike Luma with D-air just the other day. We might come across as gimpable, but mixing our trajectory is a huuuuuuuge deal. Not to mention we can look to Counter D-air at some point. Rosalina's huge. and as such, she falls victim to stuff like FH F-air (which is lit in this specific MU) to U-air (kills at about 100 before rage) or even Side-B TIPPER. The hardest part in this MU was probably trying to land. I mixed it up by DI'ing away, B-air (extra push) and sometimes even D-air her between hitboxes. If you're ballsy, Counter. You can also aim to catch her recovery, either by Instant Pinning towards the edge, TIPPER 2-frames and maybe even D-air'ing her.

Marth looks even only because his range sort of contests with ours. B-airs beats a lot (if not, most) of his approches. We juggle harder and we have the upper hand when it comes to killing. Fighting characters that contest with your own range has a lot to do with knowing how and when to Shield, otherwise you're playing a silly game of constant trades.

Mewtwo looks like +1 for the simple fact we outrange a lot of his stuff. I've never even had any trouble with his F-air. You can either outrange his N-air or Shieldgrab it. He also holds the curse that characters like Rosalina and Bayonetta hold, which is of being huge and super light, even. This is even worse. The most menacing thing he's got going is, like, F-air and Shadow Ball (combo starter at low percent, kill move and the fact that it eats shields). U-Throw doesn't even kill us that early. You're looking at our U-Throws kill around the same percent considering the weight difference, lol.

I'll talk about Cloud later, but I think it's pretty even.
I may have turned you ya into a monster of an optimist... mission complete.

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
The thing about Mewtwo is that he controls the pace of the match because he is much faster than us, has a faster, more spammable projectile, and a reflector. So he wins neutral. And its not as if we beat all of his buttons with ours. His dtilt and fair are scary, and quite fast. It could be even, but I won't budge beyond that.

Rosa seems to be a matchup everyone is very optimistic about, and I can see why. But it's not like a competent Rosa is going to stand there and let Luma take the fall. Her primary walling options are quite effective against Corrin still, and she always has the possibility to rip stocks out of you early with up air jank. How well can we contest her ledge shenanigans? That's kind of a big factor I think.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
How well can we contest her ledge shenanigans? That's kind of a big factor I think.
I was thinking about this the other day while watching Lordmix vs Vinnie. Counter is one obvious option but I dunno if it would send a jabbing Luma into knockback, and Corrin being entirely intangible throughout the animation leaves little room for punishment by Rosalina.

Otherwise, ledge drop > hop back > DL into the stage > jump is also something worth looking into. Trying to land with a nair (or maybe even dair) might be a better alternative than getting trapped on the ledge for I dunno how long.

I don't have a partner with which I could test these but I can't think of much else. Lavani Lavani likely knows how Luma's jab works so could shed more light on if what I suggested works or not.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Depends on what's meant by ledge shenanigans. If we're talking about Luma spinning in front of the ledge, Corrin's upB shouldn't have issue with it, and if she does then her god tier magnet hands will definitely let you snap high to get past safely. I didn't see the set in question but Bowser's upB has horrid hitboxes and is super abusable offstage with Luma shenanigans, if that's what was happening.

Counter should send Luma into tumble even at min strength. Don't think this will be relevant often especially with the knockback angle, but worth noting I guess.

I hate the idea of DL jump to get back on stage because of how much of a commitment it is before you can actually do anything out of it, but it doesn't burn your double jump to get above the ledge that way and if Rosa's doing other things when you go to set it up she might not be able to punish it in time anyway. Dunno how reliable Corrin's aerials are at contesting Luma without clanking.

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice
Corrin is broken :secretkpop:
oh damn we gotta celebrity in da house... keep up the good work man your frame data site is the best... also question while your here have you ever thought to add the base shield safety of moves to you frame data charts? Likely your probably have and if so what is your reason for omitting them? I think it would be useful to have them there with the rest of the frame data.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Depends on what's meant by ledge shenanigans. If we're talking about Luma spinning in front of the ledge, Corrin's upB shouldn't have issue with it, and if she does then her god tier magnet hands will definitely let you snap high to get past safely. I didn't see the set in question but Bowser's upB has horrid hitboxes and is super abusable offstage with Luma shenanigans, if that's what was happening.
I assumed C0rvus C0rvus was referring to that one setup where Luma is spinning above the ledge, covering ledge getup, attack and jump while Rosa covers ledge roll. Lordmix was trapped on the ledge for a while and trying to swat Luma away with fair wasn't working. The above is also hella useful to know though so thanks!
I hate the idea of DL jump to get back on stage because of how much of a commitment it is before you can actually do anything out of it, but it doesn't burn your double jump to get above the ledge that way and if Rosa's doing other things when you go to set it up she might not be able to punish it in time anyway. Dunno how reliable Corrin's aerials are at contesting Luma without clanking.
The sequence I mentioned would actually burn your double jump since you're dropping from the ledge and then doing rising DL, making it an even more risky option to get past the spinning Luma setup...so yeah

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
The sequence I mentioned would actually burn your double jump since you're dropping from the ledge and then doing rising DL, making it an even more risky option to get past the spinning Luma setup...so yeah
Oh, I read that as doing ledge drop>wall stick DL>jump for better position and to save double jump. Which I just tried in training, and it isn't as slow as I thought. Seems viable for getting over Luma if you're able to pin the wall on the stage.

For luma above ledge...
Dunno how reliable Corrin's aerials are at contesting Luma without clanking.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
oh damn we gotta celebrity in da house... keep up the good work man your frame data site is the best... also question while your here have you ever thought to add the base shield safety of moves to you frame data charts? Likely your probably have and if so what is your reason for omitting them? I think it would be useful to have them there with the rest of the frame data.
I did at one point.

But then Spacejam created the shield safety calculator which lets people calculate their own shield safety. It works for any part of a move, and imaginary ones too making it super important for modders!

(also cheers for the compliment!)

Last edited:
Top Bottom