• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is cargo throw off stage situation dependent?

Cello_K

Smash Rookie
Hi, I was watching Yoda play a tournament match, and I noticed when he takes an opponent offstage he always jumps and forward throws. I feel like I have better luck with simply running offstage and down throwing. Is one flat out better than the other or are there situations that could call for both? There are a few factors that make this more complicated than simply testing which throw sends the opponent farther. I feel like by forward throwing it sends the opponent upward making it easier for them to DI up and not die, whereas downthrow sends them more horizontally. But I could be wrong. Also, does DK travel at a faster horizontal velocity by running offstage and falling or jumping offstage?

Thanks!

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Velocity isn't what they're going for, typically they're trying to condition opponents to expect/DI a certain way, and then mix them up with a different, unexpected option. Cargo down throw is arguably the best for most scenarios (bar them being extremely high % or you having rage, where back throw will kill them off the top).

Could also be a missed input, as pressing A with no directional input will also do forward throw by default, IIRC.

Cello_K

Smash Rookie
Check out the :45 second mark and 2:40. I'm trying to figure out why an experienced DK player would use an inferior option. Am I missing something?

https://youtu.be/q50cj0Qp0nk

When you take someone offstage with cargo throw you are basically wanting to get as close to blast zone as you can without risking your opponent mashing out before you throw. You only have a couple seconds before a good masher escapes. So the question is which option is safer, jumping offstage and throwing, or simply running offstage and throwing. Additionally, which throw will more reliably KO the opponent?

Last edited:

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
To answer your question, the cargo forward throw (CFT) actually KO's earlier than the cargo down throw (CDT). Most of the time, the gimping potential of CDT outweighs the minor difference in KO power, but there are certain %'s where CFT will KO and CDT won't. If Yoda waited like half a second more it would have KO'd in that clip.

Another potential reason to go for the jumping CFT over the walk-off CDT is that if they break out you won't SD.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
Full jump off stage > foward throw has knockback so it will kill earlier than run offf d throw. So if you're certain your throws won't kill nor combo then go for the cargo d throw off stage so they have to recover from below and have less options.

Top Bottom