• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Brawl dead?

FrenkM0J0

Smash Apprentice
Is brawl dead considering the sm4sh scene is growing really quickly? Or is there some revival of brawl going on? I was just wondering because I'd think it would be incredibly sad if that would be the case.

pershona

Smash Journeyman
Brawl is currently the least played Smash game, but some people are trying to make a Revival of Brawl and i believe someone is working on a documentary about Brawl's competitive history.

Ifrit_Smash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Skyloftknight123
3DS FC
1375-7213-2200
I'd hope not! Brawl has potential as a competitive game...people just aren't as accepting of it yet. that's all... Hope Brawl comes back strong, maybe it'll even get streamed again.

FrenkM0J0

Smash Apprentice
I think people like zero switching to sm4sh is the worst thing that could happen: the pros of brawl switching to sm4sh... they really need to stick to brawl!

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Brawl was never very well received to begin with so now that Sm4sh is out I'd have to say that it's dead. A few diehards will stick with Brawl but most everybody else has moved on.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
If you're not playing the game yourself, then yeah, it's pretty much dead. Otherwise, I believe there are people out there who are still going back to it despite Sm4sh being out.

cobman456

Smash Rookie
NNID
cobman456
3DS FC
4570-8414-7027
Will considering that hardly anyone plays it because they say "It's too slow" or something like that. I really don't understand but it is dead

Desu_Maiden

Smash Cadet
No Brawl is not dead because a lot of people simply can't afford a Wii U to play Super Smash for the Wii U, so they stick with Brawl on their Wii's .

JWaltz

Smash Rookie
While I agree the competive Brawl scene is interesting, aside from something like a Revival of Brawl tournament however I don't see much future for the Brawl competitive scene.

Desu_Maiden

Smash Cadet
But thaat will change once the prices drop, so then that agrument loses its power over time right
Yeah but personally I don't feel like wasting my money to buy a Wii U even if I could afford it. In actuality, I can probably afford it right now, but I don't feel like buying a Wii U because I don't think it is worth my money. I am already satisfied with the three consoles I already own: the Gamecube, Wii and PS3. I am 25 years old, and I think I am a bit too old for most video games. I already played Nintendo video games extensively while I was younger. I started playing Nintendo games when I was 9 years old back in 1999 with Pokemon Red and Yellow on the Gameboy Color. And I played numerous Nintendo games on the GBC, GBA, Nintendo DS, Gamecube and Wii (like Mario, Wario, Super Smash Bros, Donkey Kong and Zelda). I don't want to offend anyone here, but I am already a bit bored with Nintendo games. I am bored with console gaming overall. Ever since 2012, I became more and more inclined in playing PC games like Star Craft, Counter Strike, Warcraft 3, and Team Fortress 2.

My primary gaming device is my laptop, which is quite powerful. To be honest, I think my PS3 was a waste of money since I rarely play it (none of the games are truly epic, IMO) . I do play some games on my PS3 like Tales of Graces f, Tales of Xillia, Kill Zone 1-3, God of War 1-3, Metal Gear Solid 4 and etc but none of those games are truly epic. And I already beaten most of my Wii games. I don't feel like selling my Wii or PS3 because I am unlikely to get very much money for them. And my Gamecube has been collecting dust for the past five years until a few days ago I started playing it again.

So in short, I have little use for the three consoles I already own, and the portable gaming devices that I own (PSP, 3DS, DS, GBA and GBC) are also collecting dust. About the only electronic device I can't live without is my laptop because I use it for work (I share it with my other family members too) and other things. I can live without my video game consoles, cellphone and TV. No need for them.

FrenkM0J0

Smash Apprentice
Yeah but personally I don't feel like wasting my money to buy a Wii U even if I could afford it. In actuality, I can probably afford it right now, but I don't feel like buying a Wii U because I don't think it is worth my money. I am already satisfied with the three consoles I already own: the Gamecube, Wii and PS3. I am 25 years old, and I think I am a bit too old for most video games. I already played Nintendo video games extensively while I was younger. I started playing Nintendo games when I was 9 years old back in 1999 with Pokemon Red and Yellow on the Gameboy Color. And I played numerous Nintendo games on the GBC, GBA, Nintendo DS, Gamecube and Wii (like Mario, Wario, Super Smash Bros, Donkey Kong and Zelda). I don't want to offend anyone here, but I am already a bit bored with Nintendo games. I am bored with console gaming overall. Ever since 2012, I became more and more inclined in playing PC games like Star Craft, Counter Strike, Warcraft 3, and Team Fortress 2.

My primary gaming device is my laptop, which is quite powerful. To be honest, I think my PS3 was a waste of money since I rarely play it (none of the games are truly epic, IMO) . I do play some games on my PS3 like Tales of Graces f, Tales of Xillia, Kill Zone 1-3, God of War 1-3, Metal Gear Solid 4 and etc but none of those games are truly epic. And I already beaten most of my Wii games. I don't feel like selling my Wii or PS3 because I am unlikely to get very much money for them. And my Gamecube has been collecting dust for the past five years until a few days ago I started playing it again.

So in short, I have little use for the three consoles I already own, and the portable gaming devices that I own (PSP, 3DS, DS, GBA and GBC) are also collecting dust. About the only electronic device I can't live without is my laptop because I use it for work (I share it with my other family members too) and other things. I can live without my video game consoles, cellphone and TV. No need for them.
Ok so in your case that makes sense, but still that doesn't change it for others that aren't in the same boat as you. I'm not sure of course but whatever

Desu_Maiden

Smash Cadet
Ok so in your case that makes sense, but still that doesn't change it for others that aren't in the same boat as you. I'm not sure of course but whatever
I am sure you can find other people who don't want to get the current generation consoles (PS4, Xbox One, Wii U), and would rather stick to last generation console games ( Wii, PS3, XBox 360). It is not just a matter of being able to afford it or not. It is a matter of whether you are interested in throwing a lot of money at video games anymore. Personally, I am not that interested in throwing a ton of money at video games anymore since I already blew away most of my allowance and income on video games in middle and high school and university. I still buy games occasionally. For example, I recently bought Dark Souls, Dead Island, Final Fantasy X-1/X-2 HD Remaster and Tales of Xillia for my PS3. I enjoy the games, but I personally don't need to play anymore Nintendo games because I am already a bit bored of them (no offense to anyone who still likes buying new Nintendo games). I still occasionally play some Nintendo games I own. The most recent console I bought was the 3DS, but technically my sister owns it. And she has two games on it: Tales of Abyss and some Zelda game (I can't remember which one).

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
I tried to play Brawl again this morning, but I just can't get into it after putting the game off for several years. The game itself feels pretty underwhelming to me now. It's mainly because even though I did point out some things on what I don't like about it before, I still find Smash 4 to be a better game overall. I still play Melee to this day, but I don't think I'll be sitting down to play Brawl all the time.

In other words, Brawl is indeed dead to me.

FrenkM0J0

Smash Apprentice
What i actually think is the main problem is the apparent similarities between brawl and sm4sh: Neither games have the advanced techniques (mainly wavedashing which alone gives melee a faster gameplay which many find to be more interesting), both have an incredible abundance of characters with interesting meta, but they both have a similar gameplay. I think that that means that people would choose (of money wouldnt be a problem) for sm4sh because
1. It lends itself more to online play (makes it far easier)
2. Is faster and more interesting for the newcomer because of it
3. Is more competative due to balanced gameplay and technical superiority
Just personal opinion, but I think based on underlying objective characteristics of the games. I like them both though...

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
brawl was starting to choke by 2013, because metaknight remained prevalent, and, as a result, every stage that made the ice climbers tolerable was banned, making ICs have no real bad stages to play on. this led to what I consider to be the most infamous brawl set of all time:

this set represents everything that screwed up with brawl. at the beginning, both players were too scared to approach due to how volatile the matchup is, so they wait. the eight-minute clock reaches to 6:40 before anything truly notable actually happens. M2K, the meta knight, finally bothers approaching... and then gets grabbed and killed in the process. it gets a bit sadder in game two, where metaknight trips on his first stock to a grab by ICs, followed by the next two stocks being removed by a single popo chaingrabbing into a walk-off.

I rarely call for bans in any fighting game... but to put it bluntly, if the new jersey region wasn't so stubborn that they refused to set up their world tournament to fit in with the backroom-based universal standard around 2010-2011, we would have never seen this set. meta knight would have been banned, meaning the stages meta knight is too good (and ICs, likewise, are bad on) on would have stayed, meaning the ice climbers would never be a major issue.

then, melee's revival happened. if the understanding of what people liked to watch wasn't shown by EVO, it was certainly shown when the grand finals for brawl at APEX was effectively viewed by people very, very impatiently waiting for melee's top 8 to start. anyone left within brawl's scene within the past year would constantly refuse any ruleset changes (it's no coincidence that toronto, the area that uses a 1-stock ruleset, are the only living scene for brawl), and then by the time SSB4 came out, they were already gone, proving a point I made simply back then:

"many of YOUR community are transferring immediately to ssb4, and more than likely, they aren't coming back. your community is slowly ripping apart, and while everyone else wants to mend it back up, you've decided that it's not as important as 'not giving in'.

[..]

stubbornness will kill a scene far before any mechanic or character ever will, learn to work with it. or perish slowly to spite everyone else, your call"

apparently, your best players chose the latter option. I wish I could offer any condolences beyond that, but honestly, everyone except for the most delusional brawl players saw this coming, from what I've noticed.

(funny note: the one new jersey player that vehemently defended himself in that thread hasn't played brawl since, in favor of SSB4. coincidentally, he's ALSO the ICs in the most infamous brawl set of all time, so it's certainly logical that he'd prefer that ruleset...)

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Brawl is pretty much dead, yes. Kinda sad, really, since for all of its jank (Snake, ICs, Falco, and MK), it has a lot going for it. Zero Suit is infinitely more fun and the airdodges allowed for more interesting mindgames. If Meta Knight had stayed banned, I think that more players would be left and maybe Brawl wouldn't be quite as dead as it is.

FrenkM0J0

Smash Apprentice
this set represents everything that screwed up with brawl.
First of all: this set is incredibly sad and indeed is notable as one of the deepest points of competative brawl. That being said, you are dealing with an M2K game here. I mean that literally disposes with all the ethics or unwritten rules that make a game of brawl attractive. If other players are doing this too, you got a point.

D

Deleted member

It certainly seems that way at the moment, unless you count Project M as Brawl.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
First of all: this set is incredibly sad and indeed is notable as one of the deepest points of competative brawl. That being said, you are dealing with an M2K game here. I mean that literally disposes with all the ethics or unwritten rules that make a game of brawl attractive. If other players are doing this too, you got a point.
Except M2K was the only one who did anything remotely interesting that set.

FrenkM0J0

Smash Apprentice
Except M2K was the only one who did anything remotely interesting that set.
But still it's strange that one of the two people was M2K and this set is crowned as the saddest one of all. On another note, Meta Knight is a character that should take the initiative in this matchup instead of the Icees. I just want to say that I have a lot of respect for M2K but it's a bit stupid this set.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I love how everything I predicted about this game came to pass.

Guys, a game never fully dies. Take the individual effort to connect with other brawl players, host weeklies, do what it takes to bring brawl back. Because although I don't like it, it's way better than smash4!

FrenkM0J0

Smash Apprentice
Why should MK take the initiative instead of the Icies?
Since the Icees pretty much want to go for ze chaingrabs and other stupid camping tacticks. MK is just special-moving all over the place with not much risk attached. If I were any of the two characters in this MU, I'd play a defensive Icees but an offensive (or at least a more offensive/less defensive) MK.

FrenkM0J0

Smash Apprentice
I love how everything I predicted about this game came to pass.

Guys, a game never fully dies. Take the individual effort to connect with other brawl players, host weeklies, do what it takes to bring brawl back. Because although I don't like it, it's way better than smash4!
Totally agree with the first part about a game never dying, don't really agree with the last part about Sm4sh>Brawl but that's just opinion.

Last edited:

Mechageo

Smash Ace
The only reason I was going back and playing Brawl was for Lucas. Now that he's going to be in Smash 4, there's not really a reason for me to go back.

SmashJC

Smash Journeyman
Well, Brawl is not really "DEAD", it was almost dead when the WFC died(later revived by WiimmFi), but remember that it still alive thanks to Project M, and other mods. Because, the only dead videogames are Crash Bandicoot and Banjo Kazooie

Last edited:

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice
I honestly don't see a revival of Brawl going anywhere. What is there to go back to? A game where Meta Knight dominated the roster, chain grabs that rendered most of the cast useless in high-level play, and some of the worst versions of characters like Mario, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, and Link who were not even remotely close to being viable?

I loved Brawl back in the day, it was the game that got me into Smash. But I just don't see anything to go back to. Smash 4 takes all the good elements of Brawl, and vastly improves on them with a more balanced and viable roster, better more robust online, better classic and all-star modes, and general improvements that make the game more enjoyable to play.

I sold off my copy of Brawl over a year ago and I have never looked back. It was a good game in its day, but in my opinion, it has been surpassed by Smash 4.

keymanb

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion, if we look at melee, it's now in it's platinum era. The potential of brawl as a competitive game is possible, but unlikely.

With meta knight still supreme and characters at the bottom of the tier such as ganon, samus, captain falcon. All who which have taken extremes to drop so low from their melee positions.

Currently the game is, dead. No doubt about it, some will stay but mostly everyone has gone.

The possibility of brawl having a platinum era like melee is also unlikely.

My final conclusion is that brawl is dead and will most likely stay dead, it was an extremely fun game to play and provided a lot of us some great memories, but I think it won't make it as a "Competitive" Game. With sm4sh on the rise possibly may soon take over melee, in the future. It's not going to happen.

Last edited:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Totally agree with the first part about a game never dying, don't really agree with the last part about Sm4sh>Brawl but that's just opinion.
Dude... you quoted my post. I said I like Brawl better than Smash 4... wtf.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Prince L

Smash Apprentice
Brawl is dead because the only way to win (at really high level at least) is to play REALLY, REALLY defensively. Watch M2K vs. Nakat at Crossfire 3.

Some matches in Brawl are pretty entertaining sometimes (European Brawl for example, Leon <3), but at high level... It's just completely boring.

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
As it stands right now, Smash 4 is too popular for Brawl to compete even close to the level it used to. I prefer Smash 4, but Brawl is fun with its shenanigans. I think that for Brawl to come back, it needs to have the Smash 4 hype phase die down a bit (but it's DLC keeps the hype alive), the ruleset has to change and be heavily enforced this time (there still will be polarizing characters, but two of the biggest problems will be out of the way (I might still main Icies even then, trying to see for myself if the banned stages were really that bad for Icies). I feel that Brawl could've been much better and more developed, but MK and stubbornness ruined this.

NAKAT

Smash Champion
Brawl is dead because the only way to win (at really high level at least) is to play REALLY, REALLY defensively. Watch M2K vs. Nakat at Crossfire 3.

Some matches in Brawl are pretty entertaining sometimes (European Brawl for example, Leon <3), but at high level... It's just completely boring.
This statement is so incorrect! Also that match between us was literally a joke we were pulling vs. each other. People took it to the next level.

NarukamiSSB

Smash Rookie
This statement is so incorrect! Also that match between us was literally a joke we were pulling vs. each other. People took it to the next level.
Yes. In my opinion, Brawl is more fast paced than SSB4. Especially when customs are on in SSB4.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
So, in this case, is playing Brawl more offensively or defensively a better idea?

Top Bottom