• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Bidou Helpful?

Legato004

Smash Rookie
This is going to be a thread regarding bidou and what the advantages and disadvantages of it are. My main question is how it would affect somebody’s competitive play. When I say this, I mean whether it is a worthwhile change or not for tournaments. If anybody has their own opinion, feel free to share. Preferably people who have or currently use bidou. Thanks for checking out my thread.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
If your muscle memory is set in a way where it wouldn't be advantageous to switch to bidou, since your current controls already allow you to perform well, then it's probably not something for you. If, however, you're new to the game, bidou may be advantageous for you, since performing difficult tech like perfect pivoting is made easier. Not to mention, you don't have to unlearn your ways.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Bidou is, really, for 2 kinds of people in my eyes:
  1. People new to Smash who want to play competitive;
  2. People who really want to use tech and are willing to relearn controls to do that.
If you've been playing Smash for a decent amount of time, but never seriously, and now you want to get into competitive, it might not be too late to switch to Bidou. Otherwsie, if you've been playing casually for too long or you've been playing competitive for a while now, then switching to Bidou is... iffy. It'll have to be a big mentality shift to switch to it and it's only gonna be worth it if you really throroughly analysed your playstyle and saw that you'd really get benefit using tech Bidou helps with.

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
I would say theres only like a handful of characters that actually derive significant benefit from Bidou, such that its really not worth investing in unless you're super dedicated to those particular characters that do gain from Bidou tech.

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
Sure it makes doing pivots way easier, you can just practice it with normal controls and not have to relearn the controls which takes a long time to become accustomed to.

Top Bottom