• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Bidou a good idea for Sonic?

Shadow Light Master

Smash Journeyman
I asked on the Discord, and some people seemed to think it wasn't worth it. In fact, it makes drifting aerials slower apparently, or maybe impossible. But I don't know. I want to see what you guys' opinions are.

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
I asked on the Discord, and some people seemed to think it wasn't worth it. In fact, it makes drifting aerials slower apparently, or maybe impossible. But I don't know. I want to see what you guys' opinions are.
I don't think it's very useful for Sonic I mean he's already perfect(spin dash all day we in here)

Rucent

Only strive for first place.
I don't believe bidou is good enough for someone as fast as Sonic. Like, perfect pivots isn't something Sonic really does because of his speed, and if I recall correctly, we lose the ability to perform Spin Dash's variation of Spin Shot. The fact that performing ledge trumps easier is nice, but not worth such a huge change in control scheme, especially for someone who already invested lots of time on what they work with now. Dash Dance Pivots being more consistently optimized is another thing, but not worth it, and can easily be practiced to see a similar or same effect.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
We don't lose Spin Dash Spinshot; it just becomes more difficult.

You lose the option to do it with C-Stick, so you'd have to become accustomed to using the jump button, which I'm not prepared to do after years of muscle memory.
What are "drifting aerials" ?
Say you're jumping forward and input a Bair manually, you will most likely lose some of your forward momentum because you had to hit back on your joystick.

If you jump forward and hit back on the C-Stick, you'll get a Bair while never losing your forward movement because you're still holding forward on the joystick.

:093:

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
I'm actually really glad to hear some opinions here for bidou with Sonic.
Bidou has a lot of potential benefits, but the control scheme is very awkward for me.
I'm a bit worried that it might end up being too good and starts to catch on at tournaments.
If that happens, well...matches could start getting more difficult.
But If the general consensus is that it doesn't work well for Sonic, I'm more than happy to continue with my current setup.

DGAMER

Smash Apprentice
I one time experimented with Bidou sonic, and found some interesting results.

Sonic's initial dash is very short, as lightly taping second stick only gave me a short dash. The at ledge dash attack is useful for edge guarding, but not if they grab the ledge, it's best if they land on it.

Another thing I found, was that you can alter sonics dash from the start, and every time I do this gave me a really slow dashing sonic(around slow walk speed), that slowly accelerates to normal speed. I'm not sure if that has any use(maybe dash attack), but I did confuse me, and could work as a MindGame.

Other than that, you do lose the abitlity to use a special move(at least with my controller setup) so you can't use the spin dash combo starter, as well as recover. So if you wish to use your basic tools, don't use bidou.

Top Bottom