• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is anyone else tired of Ness being unlockable?

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
I was surprised when I saw that Captain Falcon had been repromoted to starter while Ness was still an unlockable. It's been four games now, it isn't like the fact that Mother will be represented is a surprise to anyone. Also, he's the figurehead of the franchise. It seems like he should be displayed a bit more promonantly.

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
I was surprised when I saw that Captain Falcon had been repromoted to starter while Ness was still an unlockable. It's been four games now, it isn't like the fact that Mother will be represented is a surprise to anyone. Also, he's the figurehead of the franchise. It seems like he should be displayed a bit more promonantly.
Technically Ninten is...got the company anyway. Or he was.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
A figurehead does not mean "first." Ness is definitely the mascot of the Mother series now, despit only appearing in the middle game.

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
Ness was a starter in Melee at least. Actually it was originally planned for Lucas to outright replace Ness in melee but Lucas's game ended up getting delayed. Funny how things work out huh?

With Luigi being a starter in this game, this now means that Jigglypuff is now the only character to be unlockable in all 4 games.

To be honest, I don't really understand the logic that a character is "promoted" to being a starter.

Last edited:

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, but Jigglypuff's series is still represented before she is unlocked. There's not as much importance on her, so it's okay that she stays an unlockable.

Last edited:

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
being an unlockable is a promotion it makes the character cooler
And makes us wait till the damn game is out to learn of their existence in it. I knew he would be in, but I had a few minor panic attacks everytime they revealed another veteran that wasn't ness.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I'm fine with him being an unlockable again. At least he's in the game so that should be something.

Last edited:

tyrannosaurusrik

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3196-4352-0712
I love that he is unlockable. Makes me work for my favorite character. But I am glad at least in SSB3DS, he's very quick to get, and can use him to unlock everyone else.

DeoxysTime

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1375-8026-1502
Honestly I have a love/hate relationship with Ness being unlockable. I'd love having him from the start since he's my favorite character, but also I love the feeling that comes with finally unlocking him, although now more than ever it takes even less time.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Personally, so long as he's reasonably easy to unlock (which he always has been), I'm fine with it. It gives me an excuse to try out Classic Mode first, anyhow.

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Ness was unlocked from the start in Melee and he was the first I unlocked in Brawl but then again Lucas :lucas:(bless his little soul :cry:) was there to start Brawl off so....
I'm going to miss the cute ness + Lucas comics brawl got people to make the most...

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
I'm really just happy that Ness is in the game at all..although, it is a little odd that he was a starter only one, but never again. I wonder why, but it's no big deal, he's easy enough to unlock without me going crazy that I won't be able to play him.

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
I don't mind Ness being an unlockable in SSB4. He's an incredibly easy unlock in this game, anyways.
Jigglypuff still being a late unlock bothers me a lot more, to be honest...

Loachy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Loachy
3DS FC
3780-9091-2349
I remember 6 or 7-year-old me playing Smash64, thinking I'll just never know who the mysterious silhouette in the bottom left corner was. Until, that is, when I visited a friend who had the game and saw that it was some creepy looking kid with beady, soulless eyes and a yo-yo. I excitedly asked "How did you unlock him?!" to which he responded "I don't remember."

Anyway, now that the internet is such a big thing now (waaay bigger than then anyhow), I don't really see what the point of "secret" characters is any more... or secret anything for that matter. The novelty of unlocking hidden content reeaally wears off pretty much the day after release.
I mean, I don't mind or anything. I'm just curious what the reasoning behind it is, or how it's decided who's a starter and who isn't. Like it was mentioned, Ness was a starter in Melee...

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Eh, you only need to play 10 matches to unlock him. My first matches will be messing around with Mii characters, so it won't be long until I unlock him. No biggie.

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
Being one of the first characters to unlock, no not really, just play your other mains and secondaries until then

Top Bottom