• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is anyone else getting blisters?

silkys

Smash Cadet
I know this seems like something I should ask on WebMD, but I figure I might as well shout into the void and see if anyone else has the same problem. I started playing this game seriously around 6 months ago and since then I've been getting these strange blisters on my index fingers and thumbs. I don't really do anything else as a hobby besides build plastic models (which I've been slowing down on more and more due to financial burdens) and collecting vinyl, which leads me to believe that I'm starting to get these things from playing smash. Does anyone else have this problem? Maybe I just have sensitive hands but due to the intensity of the finger movement for this game, I suppose at least one other person out there ought to have this issue.

vynleren

Smash Cadet
Depends on what exactly you mean by blisters.

Practicing lots of tech skill with Fox after taking a break from melee makes me notice callouses on my fingers, similar to what a guitar player gets eventually.

I never have gotten true 'blisters', though.

Cool

Smash Journeyman
I dunno about blisters, man. Not really.

My hands do get sore sometimes, but you might want to check that out if they are "strange."

NocabEvoli

Smash Rookie
I've been playing for a little over two months now and I've noticed strange calluses on my ring finger's knuckles (where I usually grip the controller). It does not hurt, it's just hard. Other than that, no blisters.

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
No, because I put on lotion.
Uhhh yes. Lots. Lots and lots of blisters. I have so many blisters, it makes the Himalayan mountains look like the flattest place on Earth. Christ, I have so many blisters that The Grim Reaper tries to take me to a doctor to make sure I'm okay.

Cool

Smash Journeyman
No, because I put on lotion.
Uhhh yes. Lots. Lots and lots of blisters. I have so many blisters, it makes the Himalayan mountains look like the flattest place on Earth. Christ, I have so many blisters that The Grim Reaper tries to take me to a doctor to make sure I'm okay.
You need Doctor Mario on that **** bruh.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Top right corner of my right thumb has lost all nerves/feeling from short hopping in melee (I slide my right thumb quickly off the X button)

I used to get blisters but now I got calluses lol.

Massive

Smash Champion
I've been playing video games for 27 years and the only time I ever got a blister was from Mario Party on the N64.

Last edited:

GioGio

Smash Rookie
My fingers feel pretty raw after a long session of playing, but that's about it. Part of it may be due to the fact that I use Marth so I'm not doing any insane inputs. Another thing might be because my control stick on my controller doesn't have the rubber grip on it.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Somehow I think this is something that you can condition, sort of like conditioning your fingers for playing a guitar.

A friend of mine is not used to playing games for such long periods and when we used to play street fighter he said his fingers would get blisters due to the d-pad. I think he was pressing down a little hard and did a lot of sliding as opposed to button pressing if that makes sense. Might wanna give that a go in case you are someone who does a lot of button sliding.. Eventually he would put his t-shirt in between his thumb and the d-pad. You could try that too I suppose...

D

Deleted member

The part(s) where you are getting blisters, I recommend trying some sort of product to toughen up the skin there, it might stop your blisters. I got very red thumbs and it hurt after playing melee but I went rock climbing for 2 months and the skin turned hard as f*** there so its not a problem anymore :)

JarodP108H

Smash Rookie
I know this seems like something I should ask on WebMD, but I figure I might as well shout into the void and see if anyone else has the same problem. I started playing this game seriously around 6 months ago and since then I've been getting these strange blisters on my index fingers and thumbs. I don't really do anything else as a hobby besides build plastic models (which I've been slowing down on more and more due to financial burdens) and collecting vinyl, which leads me to believe that I'm starting to get these things from playing smash. Does anyone else have this problem? Maybe I just have sensitive hands but due to the intensity of the finger movement for this game, I suppose at least one other person out there ought to have this issue.
So, I have gotten only one blister so far on my right thumb due to excessive mashing (My cousin mains Jigglypuff and use sing quite a bit) in Smash Ultimate. Whenever I played Melee, I never got any blisters despite being a Fox main. It might be best to take breaks ever now and then to avoid making it worse or maybe even try gloves.

Top Bottom