• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is a CRT monitor beneficial for online competitive play?

Pepesaké

Smash Rookie
I fell down the smash bros melee rabbit hole on YouTube recently and I want to start playing it myself.
My eventual goal is to start competing online once I start to get a hand of the game.
I was worried at first that I would need to get my hands on a GameCube and a copy of SSBM, which, including the controller, are going to run me at least 200 dollars it seems.
But I now know about Dolphin, and GameCube controller adapters so I'm not worried about spending big money anymore.
But I am still wondering about the necessity of a CRT monitor. Is there a benefit to one, besides the nostalgic look, for competitive online play?

Melonsismyusername

Smash Apprentice
I mean you can get monitors with less than 1 frame of input delay, and they don't have to be crt, I, for example, have a Benq

glitcch

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
GLTH#429
i've had no problem with playing on my normal pc monitor with less then 1 frame of delay. there's no harm in a CRT but for slippi online, it's not required or definitely better. some adapters would add more delay then just using a monitor intended for high refresh rate gaming

Lullzy

Smash Rookie
NNID
evangood
in terms of input delay there isnt a huge difference between using a crt monitor and a high end high refresh rate gaming monitor. the only main advantage of crt monitors in my opinion is motion clarity

pezaddict

Smash Lord
I don't know much about competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee these days, but I do know that CRTs can be found on the free section of Craigslist very easily, so you won't spend much (if anything) if you want to try using one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom