• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ireland & Northern Ireland Thread!

toadee

Smash Cadet
Welcome!
This is the official thread for current happenings in the Irish and Northern Irish Smash scenes! Here we will post information about upcoming tournaments, tournament results, general discussion and more.

SOCIAL LINKS

FACEBOOK GROUP
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SmashIreland/

The central hub. Information about upcoming tournaments, tournament results, meetups for friendlies and more will be posted here. If you want to be updated on Irish tournaments and/or live in Ireland/Northern Ireland, PLEASE JOIN!!!

TWITTER PAGE
https://twitter.com/SmashBrosIRL

Updates on video uploads, live streamed events and more!

TWITCH LIVESTREAM

http://www.twitch.tv/GuardBreaker
http://www.twitch.tv/SmashDublin

Not much activity here at the moment, but these streams are the place to go if you wish to watch tournaments in Ireland. We appreciate all who follow the channel!

BrianVonDoom, the primary live stream for the Irish FGC, also streams our tournaments.

http://www.twitch.tv/brianvondoom

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyWqwciACQLsv_jX4qzt8lw

https://www.youtube.com/user/BrianVonDoom

https://www.youtube.com/c/guardbreaker

DISCORD
Discord channel! For matchmaking, discussion and general banter:
https://discordapp.com/invite/0n3AOBHRN7DbOau7

Highlights and streamed/recorded matches from our tournaments can be found here, subscribe to be updated when new videos are uploaded!

Thanks Skarfelt for putting these together

UPCOMING TOURNAMENTS

Check the Facebook group to be updated on new tournaments!!!!!!

Christmas Carnage - 10th December 2016
FB Event

Schism - An Irish major! - February 4th-5th 2017
FB Event
smash.gg page

If you have any questions, please post them here.

Last edited:

KhanYe

Smash Journeyman
Yessir! Conor Hynes, Mike, and myself will be coordinating the O'Smashathon, and we're gonna try and make it big enough so that players from Scotland, UK, and other nearby regions can attend this tournament. Can't wait!

toadee

Smash Cadet
Good stuff, can't wait to attend! Is it just going to be a 1 day event like normal? A 2-day event in ireland would be hype af...

SiBi

Smash Rookie
When is O'Smashathon being planned for roughly? Looking forward to that! After waiting so long for Apex and R.A.G.E I've no hype so I need to look forward to something!

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
May again, I believe?

EDIT: This was in fact conjecture by a randomer at Eirtakon who has no connection to the tourney ._.
I leave the post here so all will know my shame.

Last edited:

toadee

Smash Cadet
When is O'Smashathon being planned for roughly? Looking forward to that! After waiting so long for Apex and R.A.G.E I've no hype so I need to look forward to something!
Nothing is confirmed yet. Mike did mention he would like to have it in March/April, but don't be hold your hopes to high for those dates.

Diamond Zero

Smash Cadet
This will be a good way of keeping track of all the tournaments!
As for the tournament in Newry, my friend and I are hosting that event and it's looking to be Melee only. I'll update you all when everything is a go.

TheMikenyan

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheMikenyan
3DS FC
3239-3425-2702
TO here. Other than the fact that we want to run another O'Smashathon, nothing else is known. When we actually have more details figured out, such as dates and a suitable venue, we will speak up. Sit tight until then.

Die Guy

Smash Rookie
Hopefully that Newry tourney goes through, Melee is my main game and will always be my main game. With that, it's also handy travel-wise because I can't always get to Dublin and back on the same day. Hopefully I see all you guys there if it happens, if not then I will hopefully see you guys at the O'Smashathon.

Vorr1k

Smash Rookie
I like our scene :D

Also i definitely have the best post / time joined ration than anyone here !

Last edited:

Lultam

Smash Cadet
This will be a good way of keeping track of all the tournaments!
As for the tournament in Newry, my friend and I are hosting that event and it's looking to be Melee only. I'll update you all when everything is a go.
Is that tournament gonna be a one off or if it goes well do ye reckon it'll be a regular thing? Won't make this one unfortunately but I'll def be up for a future one.

TheMikenyan

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheMikenyan
3DS FC
3239-3425-2702
no love for smash 4 in ireland??
Sm4sh is getting quite popular here actually. We quote recently held an official qualifier for the upcoming tournament at Hypespotting. There's a playlist on our YouTube channel containing the streamed matches from the event. I'd link it, but I've a pitiful number of posts here, so it won't let me. You'll find a link to the Smash Ireland YouTube channel in my profile info.

Last edited:

TheMikenyan

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheMikenyan
3DS FC
3239-3425-2702
Is that tournament gonna be a one off or if it goes well do ye reckon it'll be a regular thing? Won't make this one unfortunately but I'll def be up for a future one.
This'd be the first tournament to happen in Newry in particular, but we've had plenty in Dublin over the last year, and Slayers in Belfast is starting pick up more steam as well, so there should be a good bit going on now.

snook

Smash Apprentice
Hey there, new member here.
Just another Irish player you can hopefully count on to come around when you have events going on.
Will be checking out this thread often.

Last edited:

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
anyone want to exchange nnids.?..so sick of beating rolling links on for glory

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
GGs. You seem like someone who plays a ton of FG? You punish rolls very well. Was the lag on your end or mine, do you think?

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
GGs. You seem like someone who plays a ton of FG? You punish rolls very well. Was the lag on your end or mine, do you think?
ye the lag was on my end,,lots of people in my house atm ,,il play you again later when ppl r gone if u want....try and stick with falco,btw his dair sucks normal lasers kinda suck...his fair his amazing offstage,,his bair is his best move,,d throw to dash attack works,,,and you were rolling alot,dash attacking my shield alot and do you remember the thing where i threw you hit you and you could only get up one way?? its called a jab lock,,i think falco has one..anyway ggs

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
lol I know how to play mate xD
It's just that inputs are hard .-. Most of those dairs were meant to be FF nairs.
I was trying to practice the spacing on dash attack, it passes shield but I instinctively use it too early.
Some other stuff you missed: I shield in place too often allowing you to get easy grabs, I don't mix up my recoveries enough, I airdodged once, total, in all of those games together, I challenged your nair with mine instead of RAR bair, and I released jab on your shield instead of waiting and trying to punish the grab.
And default lasers are actually quite good, you just have to be very careful as to when you use them.

Last edited:

SonicvMario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SonicvMario
3DS FC
4957-5533-0802
I don't really know much about the tournament scene in Ireland. Is there many tournaments around Cork?

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
lol I know how to play mate xD
It's just that inputs are hard .-. Most of those dairs were meant to be FF nairs.
I was trying to practice the spacing on dash attack, it passes shield but I instinctively use it too early.
Some other stuff you missed: I shield in place too often allowing you to get easy grabs, I don't mix up my recoveries enough, I airdodged once, total, in all of those games together, I challenged your nair with mine instead of RAR bair, and I released jab on your shield instead of waiting and trying to punish the grab.
And default lasers are actually quite good, you just have to be very careful as to when you use them.
any thoughts on my play??im looking to improve

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
You run in and shield waaaay too often, though that might just be against me, since it beat out a lot of what I can do. You relied pretty heavily on punishing missed techs, though again that might have been you just playing to the lag making it hard to tech properly.
Your offstage play is good (it had better be you use Pit...) but you're really, really greedy. Some day you'll meet a Captain Falcon player who will make you regret that. And you missed the ledge with upB three times, which is three times too many.
Most importantly, you got a lot of grabs but didn't do enough with them. I don't know if that is due to Pit having weak throw follow-ups or not, first time I've played one. But basically, you would throw me offstage and go crazy with arrows, or you would throw me onstage, force the standard getup with an attack, and then smash me. These are both great for nabbing kills, but you went for them right out the gate. Edgeguarding at super-low percents like that just doesn't work, and while the jab lock->smash is strong, it stales your kill moves at a point where you could easily avoid staling them.

tl;dr: Work on your early game, you play too simply early on and onstage (maybe because you could afford to be, I wasn't very creative in my defensive play). Don't be so desperate offstage, let them act and punish them instead of trying to secure the gimp before they can react. You want them to use up their jumps before you start going mental with the fairs (don't give them a second to breathe if once they do though, you don't want to give them a chance to upB).

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
You run in and shield waaaay too often, though that might just be against me, since it beat out a lot of what I can do. You relied pretty heavily on punishing missed techs, though again that might have been you just playing to the lag making it hard to tech properly.
Your offstage play is good (it had better be you use Pit...) but you're really, really greedy. Some day you'll meet a Captain Falcon player who will make you regret that. And you missed the ledge with upB three times, which is three times too many.
Most importantly, you got a lot of grabs but didn't do enough with them. I don't know if that is due to Pit having weak throw follow-ups or not, first time I've played one. But basically, you would throw me offstage and go crazy with arrows, or you would throw me onstage, force the standard getup with an attack, and then smash me. These are both great for nabbing kills, but you went for them right out the gate. Edgeguarding at super-low percents like that just doesn't work, and while the jab lock->smash is strong, it stales your kill moves at a point where you could easily avoid staling them.

tl;dr: Work on your early game, you play too simply early on and onstage (maybe because you could afford to be, I wasn't very creative in my defensive play). Don't be so desperate offstage, let them act and punish them instead of trying to secure the gimp before they can react. You want them to use up their jumps before you start going mental with the fairs (don't give them a second to breathe if once they do though, you don't want to give them a chance to upB).
thanks,,,but the only reason i smash you after the missed tech is because thats pits optimum punish at low percent..well if you want to play again sometimes let me know..hopefully better connection

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
Well, like I said, don't know much about Pit. Can you lead into stuff from a dair spike? It seems pretty quick, maybe you could SH it and tech chase?
Whatever, I shouldn't be trying to come up with combos for a character I don't know and don't use.

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
Well, like I said, don't know much about Pit. Can you lead into stuff from a dair spike? It seems pretty quick, maybe you could SH it and tech chase?
Whatever, I shouldn't be trying to come up with combos for a character I don't know and don't use.
haha ye

Top Bottom