• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Iowa-Joker's Monthly"WHY SO SERIOUS?"#28 Nov 22th

BPx

Smash Lord
yeah zss can't do the tether trick either :x games today anyone? and greg, im the only one who actually uses mk seriously around here, and i will switch if you ask :/ and afaik joker is going to keep making his tourneys mk banned(even though MO won't come anymore :( )

Kuares

Pizza
It was a unanimous decision between TO's to continue to hold MK banned tournaments. People will support the rules they want. You can play him all you want in friendlies apparently.

Speaking of hosting, is there anything going on for the 3rd(sunday) of May?

PortCity

Smash Ace
It should be painfully obvious by now, but if it isn't....Iowa has some KILLER doubles players.

1. Ally + WTP
2. Kain + I hate to say it, but I'm tired as hell and forgot who teamed with Kain...
3. Fino + MJG

Brandon just got second ...again....this time teaming with Kain.

To be good in singles there are a few things Iowa can do:

1) Get better players to come to our state and play with us...singles or doubles.
2) Get someone that knows and understands singles and is willing to coach us, much in the same way that I coach in doubles.
3) Practice and play on wifi :-P :-(

That said...I wish we had at least 2 other REALLY good players in the state. That way Brandon could get some good practice teaming with and against really good players. I think that would really up his game, get him over his singles slump and allow him to get the best of Ally the next time they meet.

ngamer3k

Smash Ace
Here's how to get better at singles:

Don't suck.

It's really that simple. Sure it's nice to have someone "coaching" you, but many of today's top players, especially the new school ones learned on their own. Brandon's been doing a good enough job progressing as far as he has already. If he truly wants to become that much better, he'll do it-- that really goes for anyone around here.

PortCity

Smash Ace
@NGAMER: I respectfully disagree. I don't think the reason Brandon struggles in singles is because he sucks. I think it is the lack of quality competition. I can only play 3 characters with competency and what's worse, I'm a proactive player. I make reads, but a lot of good players mix reaction into their strategy. I think if brandon has exposure to other good players AND has someone coaching him on singles, I think he would get over his current singles plateau.

BPx

Smash Lord
It should be painfully obvious by now, but if it isn't....Iowa has some KILLER doubles players.

1. Ally + WTP
2. Kain + I hate to say it, but I'm tired as hell and forgot who teamed with Kain...
3. Fino + MJG

Brandon just got second ...again....this time teaming with Kain.

To be good in singles there are a few things Iowa can do:

1) Get better players to come to our state and play with us...singles or doubles.
2) Get someone that knows and understands singles and is willing to coach us, much in the same way that I coach in doubles.
3) Practice and play on wifi :-P :-(
4) :metaknight::metaknight::metaknight::metaknight::metaknight::metaknight::metaknight::metaknight::metaknight::metaknight:

That said...I wish we had at least 2 other REALLY good players in the state. That way Brandon could get some good practice teaming with and against really good players. I think that would really up his game, get him over his singles slump and allow him to get the best of Ally the next time they meet.
fixed that for ya. and once averil moves up here the practice won't be the problem

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
I don't get why anyone should have to be hand-walked to get better. First of all there is plenty of opportunity in just this area, until you can consistently beat everyone here whats the point of asking for more?

Not to mention monthly tourneys that get OOS players already.

Plus Brandon probably travels more then anyone else in this state. If he doesn't get better from it he has only himself to blame.

I don't mind proactive training but pinpointing the blame on lack of people to play/learn from is just silly. You know how many games and players get 10x less play-time and consistency? Brawl isn't one of them here.

Soran

Smash Ace
So Brawl is fun.. but I just get really bored of it quickly... very, very quickly.
like I'll play a set and be bored. But that set will be so damn fun. I'd love to play with you guys soon.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Win the next monthly then tell me you need better competition.

If you have a goal, and want to do it, then just do it and stop saying there's nobody to play or we don't get MK practice or whatever nonsense. Make your first goal winning the monthly(singles) then set it higher. Until then the rest of the babble is just excuses. If you travel 2x more then everybody in the state and still have a problem getting competition within your state, cry me a river.

PortCity

Smash Ace
@Blank: Ummmm...you are addressing Bpow, but I was the one making the statement. Direct your stuff towards me because Bpow could easily feel attacked when he didn't bring this up. Anyway, Bpx didn't win the last monthly, but he placed the highest among the Iowans in both singles and doubles. The main problem I'm addressing is he only really has me to play in Ames. Joker is doing his Marvel and RPG thing, so since his car is on lockdown, Bpx is forced to play Colin, Dustin, Gary, and I. None of us really excel in singles. I'm not saying spoon feed him, by no means, he stopped needing that a long time ago. Besides getting over nervousness, I personally think he just needs some better players to fight against. I'm a firm believer in "Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." Proverbs 27:17. Translation...if you have REALLY good people to play with, you both get really REALLY good. In all honesty, that is how Mara and I got good at Melee. Playing and being so competitive with each other pushed us. I can only provide so much when it comes to singles practice, I'm only belaboring the fact that I wish he had someone else to train with him.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
Brandon only placed 1 above me in both tourneys so yeah.

Anyways me playing Marvel or RPGs doesn't stop me from going to play games cause I'll go is the fact that I can't get a ride there that's the problem but I don't blame Skizm or Greg since they have their own things to do which actually Greg doesn't really play the game and Skizm tends to work those days o.0

I recently started bringing my PS3 to play Marvel and it's for two reasons 1st is to play Zyroqua since I rarely get to play him and 2nd neither of us really likes to play doubles at least not all night so we jump into Marvel.

PortCity

Smash Ace
@Joker: You said all of that...but what was the point? What was the point of saying that he only placed 1 above you? What was the point in saying Marvel/RPG's don't stop you from playing? What was the point in mentioning you bringing your ps3? ... I don't see how any of that is relevant to what I was saying. My whole point is that Brandon needs singles practice from people better than you and I. I don't see how this is remotely controversial.

I taught and talked and harassed Brandon to the point where he consistently can place high in doubles, and clearly places up there with THE BEST brawl players. All I'm saying is he needs someone as good at singles as I am at doubles to 1) play with him and 2) talk to him about singles. If I could teach him doubles well enough for him to wreck, I don't see why someone couldn't do the same for him in singles. I'm confused to no end as to where you guys (Blake, Blank, and Joker) are coming from. I'll go back and read you guys posts to make sure I'm not being dumb.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
What was the point of saying that he only placed 1 above you?
Cause saying he place the highest of all the Iowans by one isn't much but then again at this point I pretty much expect him and me to place top 4 at least on my monthlies.

What was the point in saying Marvel/RPG's don't stop you from playing?
Cause you're making it sound like I don't go cause I'm busy playing those games.

What was the point in mentioning you bringing your ps3?
So I can play Zyroqua since neither of us like playing doubles all night

I don't see why someone couldn't do the same for him in singles.
Cause everyone plays doubles so there's no time to play Singles and by the time we do people are already tired of the game.

Also last time I finally got to play MJG and was all like finally get to sit down and play him in Singles but someone mention doubles I was about to say no but you immediately said yes but decided to still play cause MJG was still playing then Brandon kicked me out and was like FFFFFFFFFF

PortCity

Smash Ace
@Joker: You are still missing the point. You brought up those topics and answered them, but none of them have anything to do with what I was saying. I only brought up Brandon placing the highest in response to Blank saying that he needs to beat the rest of his competition in Iowa first before anything else. I mentioned his results as proof that he has at least recently fulfilled that goal (and this isn't the first time he has placed higher than you in both) I'm pretty much the only person in the state that Brandon can't keep up with. I recognize that and know my limitations when it comes to singles. So all of that stuff plays together says that he needs someone else.

On a side note, I wasn't making it out to say you don't come because you are playing Marvel or RPGs. You do play with us. I was pointing that out because you don't have the same drive for Brawl as Brandon does. He travels, practices, plays, reads, watches matches, etc to get better. I don't think you do all of that...but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Again my whole point is he needs someone that cares as much as he does and no one in Iowa is fit for that position.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
Ic well my apologies however this

you don't have the same drive for Brawl as Brandon does. He travels, practices, plays, reads, watches matches, etc to get better. I don't think you do all of that...but please correct me if I'm wrong.
It's not fair to say because back in the day is all I ever did but then everyone left and was hard for me to go to tourneys then Brandon, Colin and Dustin showed up and thought kool we can go to more tourneys now but then I found out they took stuff that could jeopardize me being here so I decided not to ride as often with them it's not their fault but I get really scare when it comes to that stuff :(
Brandon also stayed like a whole week in Kansas (twice I think) and then goes to tourneys afterwords I wish I could afford it like he can but sadly that's not the case the only reason I can attend more Marvel tourneys is because early on Ngamer pay my entry fee now he pretty much sponsors me by taking me to tourneys around here which I'm really grateful and I thank him for it ^.^
If I had lost my drive I wouldn't be hosting tourneys, arguing about MK or spend all night playing Brawl with Colin cause Brandon and Dustin are always sleeping lol

BPx

Smash Lord
I agree with Sekou, and frankly don't think Blank can speak on the scene, as he doesn't really know much about it anymore. (though according to rob, hes still number #2-4 in iowa :) )

A few things...
-Colin used to 'sponsor' you to come to brawl tourneys with us, too, and I never heard you thank him. Maybe you should be [Wang]Joker in brawl?

-We keep our **** in the trunk when we travel for the most part, now. Don't use that as an excuse, because you have picked marvel tourneys over smash MULTIPLE times in the past year... Not mad, just saying.

-I stayed a week in Kansas because I didn't have a job, and had someone from Ohio
<3 Chi, also <3phil for feeding me
paying for my gas. Also I break even at most tourneys I've been going to if I get a good doubles partner...

-You host MK banned tourneys because you don't like MK and they're your tourneys. If Kansas didn't still come, I probably wouldn't enter them. You aren't going to see attendance from Missouri anymore, and all of our surrounding region has him unbanned for the most part. Your stage list is out of date. You charge a 5 dollar venue fee for a close-to-free* venue(10% was more reasonable, considering pot size). Our place only costs about 110/month for water AND electricity(with 3 computers, 2 tvs and regular smashfests), with 20 entrants and TWO TOURNEYS a month hes making double that. You would have NEVER banned MK if Razor was still playing, I can guarantee that. I'd like to get instate tourney practice with my MK before I try to use it OOS... What MKs are you even worried about losing to anyway? ****s pointless... MJG beats us with toon link just as easily.

-Instead of hooking up marvel on the other TV, you could just turn on our second wii and rotate between singles/doubles. Also who doesn't care about playing singles after doubles? I've never heard that, Colin and I almost always play singles after everyone leaves...

-You've lost your drive. You might still enjoy playing Brawl, but you've lost your drive. I don't think you watch any snakes anymore, and you only know Razer and Ally.
try havok, fatal, mvd, mikeray, atomsk, bizkit
You can still beat a lot of people(myself included), but its because you're a smart player and have good general tech skill. I'm the one person that probably hated playing against Sekou as much as you, but the difference is you lost all desire to beat him, whether it was in singles or in dubs(even with random partners). I'm uploading sets to youtube of Sekou beating the crap out of me so I can be critiqued. You have to realize there isn't a "sekou factor" like you used to complain about. When you get good in doubles, it makes your teammates look 1000x better than they are because you're playing off of what they do. Hell Colin and I beat Andy and Sekou in the set we played at your tourney. Anytime you want to buy some ramen(hell dustin would probably give you some...) and stay up here for a few days, be my guest; I'd love for you to prove me wrong.

Its fine though, I've set higher goals for myself and have a plan for making the most out of the practice I can get. I'm also in the process of finding a venue for a regional. I do enjoy playing with you Joker, but since we started playing brawl with you the small drive you did have in brawl has only diminished.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
I agree with Sekou, and frankly don't think Blank can speak on the scene, as he doesn't really know much about it anymore. (though according to rob, hes still number #2-4 in iowa :) )

A few things...
-Colin used to 'sponsor' you to come to brawl tourneys with us, too, and I never heard you thank him. Maybe you should be [Wang]Joker in brawl?

-We keep our **** in the trunk when we travel for the most part, now. Don't use that as an excuse, because you have picked marvel tourneys over smash MULTIPLE times in the past year... Not mad, just saying.

-I stayed a week in Kansas because I didn't have a job, and had someone from Ohio
<3 Chi, also <3phil for feeding me
paying for my gas. Also I break even at most tourneys I've been going to if I get a good doubles partner...

-You host MK banned tourneys because you don't like MK and they're your tourneys. If Kansas didn't still come, I probably wouldn't enter them. You aren't going to see attendance from Missouri anymore, and all of our surrounding region has him unbanned for the most part. Your stage list is out of date. You charge a 5 dollar venue fee for a free venue(10% was more reasonable, considering the size of your tourneys...). I'm not going to ***** about it though, because you're clearly strongly opinionated. You would have NEVER banned MK if Razor was still playing, I can guarantee that. I'd like to get instate tourney practice with my MK before I try to use it OOS... What MKs are you even worried about losing to anyway? ****s pointless... MJG beats us with toon link just as easily.

-Instead of hooking up marvel on the other TV, you could just turn on our second wii and rotate between singles/doubles. Also who doesn't care about playing singles after doubles? I've never heard that, Colin and I almost always play singles after everyone leaves...

-You've lost your drive. You might still enjoy playing Brawl, but you've lost your drive. I don't think you watch any snakes anymore, and you only know Razer and Ally.
if for some reason you want to find more good ones, try havok, fatal, mvd, mikeray, atomsk, bizkit
You can still beat a lot of people(myself included), but its because you're a smart player and have good general tech skill. I'm the one person that probably hated playing against Sekou as much as you, but the difference is you lost all desire to beat him, whether it was in singles or in dubs(even with random partners). I'm uploading sets to youtube of Sekou beating the crap out of me so I can be critiqued. You have to realize there isn't a "sekou factor" like you used to complain about. When you get good in doubles, it makes your teammates look 1000x better than they are because you're playing off of what they do. Hell Colin and I beat Andy and Sekou in the set we played at your tourney. Anytime you want to buy some ramen(hell dustin would probably give you some...) and stay up here for a few days, be my guest; I'd love for you to prove me wrong.

Its fine though, I've set higher goals for myself and have a plan for making the most out of the practice I can get. I'm also in the process of finding a venue for a regional. I do enjoy playing with you Joker, but since we started playing brawl with you the small drive you did have in brawl has only diminished.
If I don't know something about the scene, please feel free to fill me in where I am wrong. Out of all the people here tell me who is the one making accusations?

First of off, UFGT8 comes up in 2 weeks. If Joker had one good reason to practice Marvel(And you would know if you talked to him about it because he tells everyone who asks) its this tournament where he can go and meet all the people hes wanted to meet and also prove himself at a game hes put a lot of time into.

The venue fee is for the electricity bills that rack up from holding TWO tourneys a month. If you aren't *****ing about it why bring it up? Also I don't think your statement about Razer and MK holds any ground at all. Razer used multiple characters BECAUSE people gave him crap about MK.

Now lets look at smash, you say he only "knows" Ally and Razer. People he's actually talked with. He's told me and others there aren't many other people hes interested in meeting smash-wise. I don't see why he has to go out and actively look for shining examples, because if you aren't a smart player already you just end up copying their mistakes. You say yourself this is true of Joker, so how has he lost his drive for a game he still holds monthlies for? How do you maintain drive for a game where you get considerably less encouragement? He still does well in a game everyone says he has "no drive" in so tell me one good reason he should try any harder to appease other people who have only been naysayers. Because if you had ANYTHING positive at all to gain from this conjecture, please tell me what it is and where it has ever worked. I have seen it play out time and time again here, and if there is a side I'm missing I'd like to know.

Also I'm not sure how keeping **** in the trunk makes it any less of a problem. I would know, I have had all the wrong experiences with "**** in the trunk." Not mad, just saying.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure I thank him for the tourneys he paid the gas for if not thanks Colin loves ya but I'm already [PKS]Joker XP

Yes I know you put it there but I'm just paranoid when it comes to that stuff I mean cops can just randomly ask to search the car you can say no but that's just more suspicious it really just depends on how bored the cop is I think is just something you probably can't understand since if I get in trouble I lose a lot more then maybe staying one night in jail T.T

-Also I break even at most tourneys I've been going to if I get a good doubles partner...
Yeah same here but to me the most important part was hanging out with the Iowa crew and everyone who will tag along after the tourney >.0

-You host MK banned tourneys because you don't like MK and they're your tourneys. If Kansas didn't still come, I probably wouldn't enter them. You aren't going to see attendance from Missouri anymore, and all of our surrounding region has him unbanned for the most part. Your stage list is out of date. You charge a 5 dollar venue fee for a free venue(10% was more reasonable, considering the size of your tourneys...). I'm not going to ***** about it though, because you're clearly strongly opinionated. You would have NEVER banned MK if Razor was still playing, I can guarantee that. I'd like to get instate tourney practice with my MK before I try to use it OOS... What MKs are you even worried about losing to anyway? ****s pointless... MJG beats us with toon link just as easily.
Well first off no venue is free someone has to pay something as for my house it helps pay for the electricity plus there where many times I was told to cancel them but kept convincing my mom not to since I give her the venue fee plus half of whatever I win she has miss couple of work days cause tourney will tend to go late with the new fee if she calls in cause she couldn't sleep at least she will still make money for missing that day by the way we also had 4 people move out of the house cause of my tourneys.

As for MK being ban I pretty much only did it cause he actually got ban it was the unity rule set which everyone was suppose to follow but people kept arguing to the point they said fack it do whatever you want back in the day Melee had the one rule set that everyone follow and nobody complain so I don't know why that didn't carry over, Razor pretty much main DDD after a while which is why I keep saying I have a fetish for D3 lol. Also I don't like MK cause he ruins the game imo it isn't fun when he's around but I guess I should just accept that people don't play the game for fun what's going to happen is that I will be forced to run the tourney the way people want me too but we will cross that bridge when we get to it. Oh and the stage list isn't out of date is just the list I like I could change it to whatever people want when the time comes but know that no matter what Pictochat is staying since I have to many fun memories there plus last time I talked to Zeton he likes it to so he could maybe show up >.0

There's a reason we play on that TV cause it lags ask Sekou so mind as well hook Marvel since the lag isn't as bad, but after a while people will play singles with either their other chars or the play style is bit sloppy sure I play Wolf and Marth but I just figure it will teach you a bit of the MU the same could be said about Mario but really I play him when I know I'll do bad with Snake T.T

-I don't think you watch any snakes anymore, and you only know Razer and Ally.
if for some reason you want to find more good ones, try havok, fatal, mvd, mikeray, atomsk
Anytime you want to buy some ramen(hell dustin would probably give you some...) and stay up here for a few days, be my guest; I'd love for you to prove me wrong.
I know of havok, fatal and atomsk but is just that I like watching Razer, Ally and War play instead but Ally doesn't play Snake anymore
I know he plays him I just say that cause you keep correcting me it amuses me XP
it's like asking someone to watch a football game when you don't like neither of the teams playing >.<
I'll probably stay with you guys sometime perhaps next month.

ngamer3k

Smash Ace
I didn't mean to imply Brandon sucks, even though that is the exact wordage I used. What I mean is: When you lose a 1v1 game- it's on you and only you. The only way Brandon can get better is if he realizes what mistakes he makes and corrects them.

Simple. With that being said, that's easier said than done.

BPx

Smash Lord
Whats your point about joker practicing marvel? he cares about that game, and has gotten good at it and is winning tourneys... i respect that. My whole point is his drive for smash isn't there anymore(or has severely diminished).

assume 20 entrants per tourney, $5 venue fee. thats 200 per month just in venues. our electric with 3 computers and 2 tvs/wiis(we hold regular smashfests) was 70 dollars this month. He used to take 10% out of the pot which a lot closer to what the net cost is. Though the money keeps his mom happy so he can keep hosting, I guess...

' He's told me and others there aren't many other people hes interested in meeting smash-wise.' no drive?

'I don't see why he has to go out and actively look for shining examples, because if you aren't a smart player already you just end up copying their mistakes.' You watch other players to keep up with the metagame, study matchups, learn new tricks... I really don't see why you debated this point. Do you not watch marvel vids/streams? Same **** with smash...

'You say yourself this is true of Joker, so how has he lost his drive for a game he still holds monthlies for? How do you maintain drive for a game where you get considerably less encouragement? He still does well in a game everyone says he has "no drive" in so tell me one good reason he should try any harder to appease other people who have only been naysayers.' what is this i dont even. I said before, having competitive drive =!= enjoying playing the game. Joker holds tourneys where most people that attend are worse than him, creating a monetary incentive for hosting. He also says he enjoys the game, so theres that too. Where did we tell him he should try harder? Sekou said he wished we had a few more players up here that cared, and you said whats the point. A scene with a multitude of good players will help people get better much faster than just a rivalry(or the 'triforce' we have here...).
Keeping stuff in the trunk does matter... First of all, cops can only pull you over on reasonable suspicion(lololololoololololololol window tint). "In order for a police officer to pull you over, he or she has to have strong suspicions that you have committed or will commit a criminal act." Which means if the stuff is in the trunk, we aren't smoking it, leaving no reason to be pulled over. ASSUMING colin/dustin/i were speeding or something and got pulled over for that, the officer needs probable cause to search the car. If nothing is visible in the car, and nothing smells, there is no probable cause to search. The second part doesn't matter though, because if we got pulled over for anything(not just smoking), Joker is at risk. He just doesn't like it because of his dad, which I get, and we're respectful of him when he rides with us.

oh and i'm going to buy a new tv for 2 dollars at good will tomorrow. hellllllll yea

ngamer3k

Smash Ace
Like I said, it would be NICE to have a good competent and active scene like that. It is not necessary however. if anything, people should be getting better because you have gotten so much better, but they have not matched your progress.

That is how a good scene is created out of nothing. One person gets good, others get better to match him and eventually become better than that person or as good then the first person levels up-- and so on. You could be much worse off than you are now, but have worked hard with what you have. Keep going and don't get discouraged by "circumstances." You are stopping yourself at that point.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
EDIT: Curse you, Blake.

@ Brandon: Or you could just not bring it with you...? I seriously just hear a lot of crying.

Also Brandon ... "Where did we tell him he should try harder?", to quote you. Are you kidding? Then what's this about -> "no drive?"

I mean I just wanted to point it out because firstly I think if Joker had no drive he wouldn't even host...and would put full effort and ALL effort into Marvel. But what I do know right? I haven't been there to see you guys (and I miss a lot of you) in about a year. That statement though made "me" really upset because you OBVIOUSLY want him to try harder. Otherwise you WOULD NOT be arguing so hard against the way he hosted.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
One time after coming from a tourney I was with Skizm my bro and another friend and we got pull over for no reason he said speeding but Skizm doesn't speed when I'm with him luckily the cop just let us go without asking many questions.

Also why is it that when I have a venue fee someone always argues about it but when a different TO has it there isn't a single word said about it T.T

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Whats your point about joker practicing marvel? he cares about that game, and has gotten good at it and is winning tourneys... i respect that. My whole point is his drive for smash isn't there anymore(or has severely diminished).

' He's told me and others there aren't many other people hes interested in meeting smash-wise.' no drive?

'I don't see why he has to go out and actively look for shining examples, because if you aren't a smart player already you just end up copying their mistakes.' You watch other players to keep up with the metagame, study matchups, learn new tricks... I really don't see why you debated this point. Do you not watch marvel vids/streams? Same **** with smash...

'You say yourself this is true of Joker, so how has he lost his drive for a game he still holds monthlies for? How do you maintain drive for a game where you get considerably less encouragement? He still does well in a game everyone says he has "no drive" in so tell me one good reason he should try any harder to appease other people who have only been naysayers.' what is this i dont even. I said before, having competitive drive =!= enjoying playing the game. Joker holds tourneys where most people that attend are worse than him, creating a monetary incentive for hosting. He also says he enjoys the game, so theres that too. Where did we tell him he should try harder? Sekou said he wished we had a few more players up here that cared, and you said whats the point. A scene with a multitude of good players will help people get better much faster than just a rivalry(or the 'triforce' we have here...).
I think my points completely fly over your head. You answer back with things about "monetary gain" and other totally antagonistic statements. If you understood me correctly, I said "Win a monthly first" before setting sights beyond what you have.

No I don't watch marvel streams, they make me angry because of all the bad players. :3 But yes, I will occasionally check for Dante. My reasoning for debating this was because you make it seems as if any of this is what makes you a "better" player with "more drive."

As for me mentioning Joker with Marvel, UFGT is a good reason to practice for Marvel over Smash at least for these recent events that collide on the same day. It will blow over in 2 weeks, but its the closest and biggest major to happen in the midwest.

You know why this talk aggravates me? Its completely based on assumptions. This includes yours and mine (Some will not be mentioned due to being distasteful).

"I'm already too good for this state to make me better."
"The tourneys aren't enough for me to improve."
"Joker doesn't do nearly as much as me and therefore has 'no drive'"

This is what I hear being implied from you all the time. Meanwhile lets look at what everyone has to say about Bpow...

"He's doing great in doubles."
"Leveling up a lot."
"Killing it at x oos tourney."

From multiple threads, posters, and a majority of the tracking from Sekou himself posted right here all the time. So a lot of what I hear about Bpow is all praise, encouragement, lots of pats on the back. Lets see what happens with Joker...

"Joker has no drive in smash."
"Doesn't play the game."
"Bans MK like a scrub, complains about doubles, makes excuses about not going to tourneys."

Again, implied. Now I don't see where any motivation is in comparison. Yet for a guy with "no drive" hes still doing pretty good right? If you want to tell me I'm clearly bias here I say look at any past talk in this thread. You are apparently Iowa now, and need better players for yourself, and not enough people care enough like you do. That may not be true, but this is how it sounds and its self-entitled and demeaning.

Stop venting on the thread and get better.

Keeping stuff in the trunk does matter... First of all, cops can only pull you over on reasonable suspicion(lololololoololololololol window tint). "In order for a police officer to pull you over, he or she has to have strong suspicions that you have committed or will commit a criminal act." Which means if the stuff is in the trunk, we aren't smoking it, leaving no reason to be pulled over. ASSUMING colin/dustin/i were speeding or something and got pulled over for that, the officer needs probable cause to search the car. If nothing is visible in the car, and nothing smells, there is no probable cause to search. The second part doesn't matter though, because if we got pulled over for anything(not just smoking), Joker is at risk. He just doesn't like it because of his dad, which I get, and we're respectful of him when he rides with us.
Lol, cops respecting the law, minority in the car, lol.

How about an illegal lane change? Sound like probable cause? Was for me. A purse "found in the car" that doesn't even belong to us? Yup that happened too. Cops don't give a ****. They make up the law and abuse power as they see fit, then get away with it because they're cops.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
One time after coming from a tourney I was with Skizm my bro and another friend and we got pull over for no reason he said speeding but Skizm doesn't speed when I'm with him luckily the cop just let us go without asking many questions.

Also why is it that when I have a venue fee someone always argues about it but when a different TO has it there isn't a single word said about it T.T
Nah don't feel bad Joker, I got some issues with Brainshock's venue fee too. People will complain if they can (and typically, they will definitely complain).

BPx

Smash Lord
@Blank: Ummmm...you are addressing Bpow, but I was the one making the statement. Direct your stuff towards me because Bpow could easily feel attacked when he didn't bring this up.

To preface my response, SEKOU was the one that said I needed better practice and a singles coach. Sekou still beats me in singles almost every game, and Joker and I split games normally. I've hardly 'outgrown the competition' or any bull**** YOU seem to be implying. Yea it sucks Joker lives in Des Moines and I live in Ames now. When I lived in DSM last summer I was going over a few nights a week to play. Like Joker said, he can't come up all the time.

'My reasoning for debating this was because you make it seems as if any of this is what makes you a "better" player with "more drive." ' Man you have a knack for twisting **** I say, don't you? If you don't think watching videos means you care about the game and want to improve yourself, you're ignorant.

'As for me mentioning Joker with Marvel, UFGT is a good reason to practice for Marvel over Smash at least for these recent events that collide on the same day. It will blow over in 2 weeks, but its the closest and biggest major to happen in the midwest.' I think you must be talking to Sekou, because I have no problem with Joker playing Marvel. Hes really good at it and has a lot of fun afaik, and I'm pretty sure he'd admit he cares more about Marvel than smash at this point. I hope he does work at UFGT.

'"I'm already too good for this state to make me better."
"The tourneys aren't enough for me to improve."
"Joker doesn't do nearly as much as me and therefore has 'no drive'"

This is what I hear being implied from you all the time. Meanwhile lets look at what everyone has to say about Bpow...'
As I said, I'm clearly not 'too good' for this state. Sekou beats me; Joker and I go evenish. I'm trying to get more singles practice in with Sekou when I can, and Joker can't come up often. WHICH IS WHY SEKOU SAID HE WISHED THERE WERE MORE PEOPLE HERE.

The tourneys aren't enough to make me improve? I'd like to know why you picked up on that. I do wish they got the attendance that they used to, which is the main reason I wish MK was legal. A stage list isn't enough to deter most people, so I don't mind too much. I just auto ban picto anyway shrug.

On a side note, I wasn't making it out to say you don't come because you are playing Marvel or RPGs. You do play with us. I was pointing that out because you don't have the same drive for Brawl as Brandon does. He travels, practices, plays, reads, watches matches, etc to get better. I don't think you do all of that...but please correct me if I'm wrong.
I'll apologize for saying Joker has no drive, I meant he has significantly less than he used to and cares infinitely more about marvel(especially right now with UFGT coming up).
Joker does play the game, most of the time when Chris comes up he brings Joker... I don't see where I implied that he doesn't play.

'bans mk like a scrub' woooooooooooooooooooooow twisted again, good ****. I said he bans MK because he doesn't like him, and that the rest of our region has him unbanned now. Joker isn't a scrub, don't put those words in my mouth, thanks.

'complains about doubles' uh, I've also been wanting to play more singles, which is why I started inviting Sekou over for singles a few times a week. Instead of playing singles, Joker makes the decision to play Marvel with Gary.

'makes excuses about not going to tourneys' Joker picks Marvel tourneys over Smash tourneys. The only 'excuse' I said he used was that we smoke, and I already said my bit on that.

'Now I don't see where any motivation is in comparison.' I have been getting motivation because I've been doing well at tourneys I travel to by myself. At the past 3 tourneys Joker has went to, I think his best win was against me at one of his smaller monthlies. I don't know what you expect people to say? I guess I don't understand you.

now for the best one...'You are apparently Iowa now, and need better players for yourself, and not enough people care enough like you do. That may not be true, but this is how it sounds and its self-entitled and demeaning.'
Really? Just really? SEKOU said I needed better practice partners, and I agreed it would help. If you read back:

"That said...I wish we had at least 2 other REALLY good players in the state. That way Brandon could get some good practice teaming with and against really good players. I think that would really up his game, get him over his singles slump and allow him to get the best of Ally the next time they meet."
" I don't think the reason Brandon struggles in singles is because he sucks. I think it is the lack of quality competition."
"I don't know man. Who in Iowa can he not beat? I think the issue is practice partners."
"The main problem I'm addressing is he only really has me to play in Ames."
"Like I said, it would be NICE to have a good competent and active scene like that. It is not necessary however. if anything, people should be getting better because you have gotten so much better, but they have not matched your progress."

It wasn't me who said the **** you're mad about, pal, but you're right, I need to get better. I've been playing wifi ladder by myself and trying to do as much as I can with what I have. I talk to other players on facebook. I watch videos. I'm still not good. If anything I feel bad for JJ during the school year, he has NO ONE to play there, lol.

lastly, 'Lol, cops respecting the law, minority in the car, lol.

How about an illegal lane change? Sound like probable cause? Was for me. A purse "found in the car" that doesn't even belong to us? Yup that happened too. Cops don't give a ****. They make up the law and abuse power as they see fit, then get away with it because they're cops.'

Trust me, police are the biggest ****** pieces of **** on the planet, I know this and probably have more experience with it than you do. Not to brag, but I'm kind of a dumb ***. I'm saying that if a cop decides to **** Joker over, its not going to be because of the pot.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
to preface my response, sekou was the one that said i needed better practice and a singles coach. Sekou still beats me in singles almost every game, and joker and i split games normally. I've hardly 'outgrown the competition' or any bull**** you seem to be implying. Yea it sucks joker lives in des moines and i live in ames now. When i lived in dsm last summer i was going over a few nights a week to play. Like joker said, he can't come up all the time.

sekou said it, then you said you agree with him. If this isn't the case then you should say so.

'my reasoning for debating this was because you make it seems as if any of this is what makes you a "better" player with "more drive." ' man you have a knack for twisting **** i say, don't you? If you don't think watching videos means you care about the game and want to improve yourself, you're ignorant.

i said "implied." this is how you're presenting the situation, and playing it in the light that best suits you. Joker can play the game, and host tourneys for it, but he doesn't care or have drive or want to improve himself? But you say "watching videos" means you do? Isn't that just painting your actions in a better light for convenience like i'm saying? Tell me where i'm wrong.

i think you must be talking to sekou, because i have no problem with joker playing marvel. Hes really good at it and has a lot of fun afaik, and i'm pretty sure he'd admit he cares more about marvel than smash at this point. I hope he does work at ufgt.

this is in response to you saying joker has chosen marvel over smash. Maybe he has, but if there were a time for him to do so it would be now. After ufgt blows over i'm sure he will be more lax in marvel.

i'll apologize for saying joker has no drive, i meant he has significantly less than he used to and cares infinitely more about marvel(especially right now with ufgt coming up).
Joker does play the game, most of the time when chris comes up he brings joker... I don't see where i implied that he doesn't play.

thats all fine and good then. Just one of our many misunderstandings, however this isn't directed at just you. This is general statements i feel like joker has gotten throughout the history of this thread.

'bans mk like a scrub' woooooooooooooooooooooow twisted again, good ****. I said he bans mk because he doesn't like him, and that the rest of our region has him unbanned now. Joker isn't a scrub, don't put those words in my mouth, thanks.

see above statement.

'now i don't see where any motivation is in comparison.' i have been getting motivation because i've been doing well at tourneys i travel to by myself. At the past 3 tourneys joker has went to, i think his best win was against me at one of his smaller monthlies. I don't know what you expect people to say? I guess i don't understand you.

Now for the best one...'you are apparently iowa now, and need better players for yourself, and not enough people care enough like you do. That may not be true, but this is how it sounds and its self-entitled and demeaning.'
really? Just really? Sekou said i needed better practice partners, and i agreed it would help. If you read back:

"that said...i wish we had at least 2 other really good players in the state. That way brandon could get some good practice teaming with and against really good players. I think that would really up his game, get him over his singles slump and allow him to get the best of ally the next time they meet."
" i don't think the reason brandon struggles in singles is because he sucks. I think it is the lack of quality competition."
"i don't know man. Who in iowa can he not beat? I think the issue is practice partners."
"the main problem i'm addressing is he only really has me to play in ames."
"like i said, it would be nice to have a good competent and active scene like that. It is not necessary however. If anything, people should be getting better because you have gotten so much better, but they have not matched your progress."

it wasn't me who said the **** you're mad about, pal, but you're right, i need to get better. I've been playing wifi ladder by myself and trying to do as much as i can with what i have. I talk to other players on facebook. I watch videos. I'm still not good. If anything i feel bad for jj during the school year, he has no one to play there, lol.

it doesn't help when other people goad it, but fine. Like i said a lot of that is misdirected frustrations and assumptions, but its still there and you have echoed some kind of sentiment after agree'ing with sekou. If you don't want to present it that way then you should be careful what you complain about.

lastly, 'lol, cops respecting the law, minority in the car, lol.

How about an illegal lane change? Sound like probable cause? Was for me. A purse "found in the car" that doesn't even belong to us? Yup that happened too. Cops don't give a ****. They make up the law and abuse power as they see fit, then get away with it because they're cops.'

trust me, police are the biggest ****** pieces of **** on the planet, i know this and probably have more experience with it than you do. Not to brag, but i'm kind of a dumb ***. I'm saying that if a cop decides to **** joker over, its not going to be because of the pot.

not entirely wrong, but its still pushing it. The catalyst doesn't really matter, the associations do. I don't have experience being the first-hand, just the second wheel. Thats why i can relate to christians worries. You can try and rationalize it, but at the end of the day do bad things ever come rationally? Not often.
Thats all I have to say for now. You sound plenty offended, but this is a re-occurring case so I'd rather not come back to this. Just letting you know this is how its come off to me, and if you have frustrations about it feel free to message me on facebook or whatever. Whatever happens I won't bother to come back to the topic again. I'll just let Joker say his own peace and you guys can go continue managing this scene I don't know enough about.

§chizm

Smash Lord
People need to chill.
Sekou I think Brandon is obviously doing fine seeing as he's placing, Singles is different deal but he's obviously working on it. While having more competition would be nice the reality of it is that he came into the scene/started getting serious right before a lot of the interest in Brawl died out. You and Christian still play, and he plays on wifi which honestly should be enough.

I'd like to be of more help but I realize I'm garbs at this game. I don't have the drive to focus on one character (that matters) like I used to nor do I really have the patience to be good in this game.

Honestly I would listen to Blake for advice since he really does have to deal with having no competition in state for SF.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
If I ever TO locally, it will probably be MK banned. So if IA wants to keep up with KC, it makes sense to go MK banned for him.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I would know, I have had all the wrong experiences with "**** in the trunk." Not mad, just saying.
More stuff makes sense about Blank.

MegaRobMan and GameGenie will definitely be spectating.
Sorry, I was busy today :(

A stage list isn't enough to deter most people, so I don't mind too much. I just auto ban picto anyway shrug.

Trust me, police are the biggest ****** pieces of **** on the planet, I know this and probably have more experience with it than you do. Not to brag, but I'm kind of a dumb ***. I'm saying that if a cop decides to **** Joker over, its not going to be because of the pot.
lol, that's why we offer 2 stage bans in Nebraska, for people with autobans.

Also I agree with the 2nd part about cpus.

To conclude:

Bpow won't be considered good until he wins a Nebraska tournament with both me and Tyser in it.

LOL HAVOK namesearch

Also, how is blank not #4 on the MRM mental Iowa PR? I guess Razor is pretty ****ing good, and Jlo too. Have Wang/Dustin improved enough to supplant either of those guys?

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Hate to burst your bubble their Rob, but Bpow is already considered good

Joker is as well, but he doesn't travel like Brandon does which is why Brandon gets the most hype rep all over the place. As good as Joker might be, people won't vouch for somebody they haven't played. I tell everyone that asks me of good snakes I've played that Joker is good because he really is

Top Bottom