• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Iowa-Joker's Monthly"WHY SO SERIOUS?"#28 Nov 22th

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
I was told RE: Operation Raccoon City was bad even watching seemed kinda boring however when you actually play it that game is boss specially when played with 4 other people ^.^

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Ah I haven't seen Kudou in forever. =\

We should play Tales of Graces together. After I'm done with it, I would love to lend it to Christian.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
As far as the battle system goes its definitely the most involved out of most the games. (Besides maybe Destiny DC)

There's a lot to learn, its very fletched out, you can tell it was something they were really proud of and they constantly encourage you to utilize every tool they give you by rewarding you with different bonuses and advantages. Some of the tips can be vague, but once you figure it out(And I'll help you) its really fun and challenging. Its the most enjoyable part of the game for me.

That said other Tales games have done better in the other departments. I personally think Abyss had the best storyline. Mostly because its a bit more mature, lacks the moral glorification of other games, and it had an emotional impact on me. Legendia has my favorite cast, the most amazing music layered in complexity and familiar motifs, but it falls short in gameplay. I also like the designs in Hearts because <3 Kohak and Hisui.

I've played almost every Tales game minus some of these newer releases like Vesperia and ToTW2, and I could talk a lot about them and how charming they are regardless of their faults, but for the most part I got into Tales because the characters. I got to know them in the crossover games, and I feel like they bring together an interesting mix of typical fantasy elements with loveable video game archetypes. There is generally simplicity in their design that always draws you to a single element of the character that becomes attractive, its a familiarity that isn't really emulated by most RPGs since they tend to lean towards one side. They aren't really made to mesh with the world, and aren't just battle-geared protagonists with ridiculous hairstyles, they're characters where if you took their most outstanding features and downscaled them and meshed them together with many other icons in gaming, they'd still be memorable to you. It might not say a lot just hearing that in a general statement, but I've really come to appreciate the little touches and homages to other Namco games they've done in their costume designs.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
Thanks Smash it was fun while it last it T.T

After thinking it for a while I have decided to quit playing smash I'll play Marvel but will quit after UFGT I'll like to thank Smash cause it was thanks to that game that I was able to meet all the people I did, special shoutout to my sponsor Ngamer it was thanks to him I started playing more fighting games and was also able to meet more people ^.^

Me quitting was something I have had on the back of my mind for a while now it's just that all the fun I had with Smash is pretty much gone and I'm afraid Marvel may follow soon which gives me a reason to leave on a good note since I will be moving from Iowa come June or so we just been having troubles with the people around our house and just don't feel safe anymore just the other day a couple of guys who were up to no good startin making trouble in my neighborhood I got in one little fight and my mom got scared she said 'You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air I whistled for a cab and when it came near the license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror if anything I can say this cab is rare but I thought 'Now forget it' 'Yo homes to Bel Air' I pulled up to the house about 7 or 8 and I yelled to the cabbie 'Yo homes smell ya later' I looked at my kingdom I was finally there to sit on my throne as the Prince of Bel Air

BPx

Smash Lord
After thinking it for a while I have decided to quit playing smash I'll play Marvel but will quit after UFGT I'll like to thank Smash cause it was thanks to that game that I was able to meet all the people I did, special shoutout to my sponsor Ngamer it was thanks to him I started playing more fighting games and was also able to meet more people ^.^

Me quitting was something I have had on the back of my mind for a while now it's just that all the fun I had with Smash is pretty much gone and I'm afraid Marvel may follow soon which gives me a reason to leave on a good note since I will be moving from Iowa come June or so we just been having troubles with the people around our house and just don't feel safe anymore just the other day a couple of guys who were up to no good startin making trouble in my neighborhood I got in one little fight and my mom got scared she said 'You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air I whistled for a cab and when it came near the license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror if anything I can say this cab is rare but I thought 'Now forget it' 'Yo homes to Bel Air' I pulled up to the house about 7 or 8 and I yelled to the cabbie 'Yo homes smell ya later' I looked at my kingdom I was finally there to sit on my throne as the Prince of Bel Air
hope this is april fools :(

PortCity

Smash Ace
Greg: Dustin said he was up to play...so if you guys show up I'll come over and we can play.

Soran

Smash Ace
I really wanted ORC to be good but... it just isn't... I dread the unreal engine and freaking socom is not a good game.. it was good back then but they just need to change it up. If they can't do that leave it alone goddammit!

But yeah, Tales of Phantasia is my favorite because I really like Cress.. But Legendia has a mature story, you say? I might have to check it out... I've also never played Tales of Phantasia lololol just watched the OVA and I thought that was cool. But Cress has always been my favorite regardless.

Emil is my second because I like how he looks >.>

(C)ome(B)ack(K)id

Smash Journeyman
So whose all going to show up on thursday for games? if its not alot of people then ill just bring my ps3 and me, joker, and kudou will all play RE: ORC...^_^v

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
hope this is april fools :(
I assumed that the Bel Air part was the give away >.< which by the way is that even a real place o.0

ill just bring my ps3 and me, joker, and kudou will all play RE: ORC...^_^v
Dude I been itching to play that game 0.0

I just entered robot mode last night. :laugh:
Like that avatar >.0

On another note who's all going to go see American Pie Reunion >.> Greg, Kudou, CBK, Skizm we should all go if possible this Friday ^.^

Tmacc

Smash Lord
JOKER I TOTALLY KNEW YOU WERE APRIL FOOLIN' BRO.

But I gotta admit, I didn't sleep easy that night due to my worries :(

Sad story.

ngamer3k

Smash Ace
Yes, Bel-Air is a real place. lol

@Greg - We need to just sit down and play some Star Fox 64 some time. You still can't beat the nerdgamer though :D

Also,- I'm looking for someone to design a theme for my blog. I WILL pay you after you have met my quality standards (you can ask me for specific terms if that matters to you). With that being said, I have no real guidelines beyond incorporating Smash in there somehow (hence the name of the blog) mixed with elements from traditional fighters. I prefer you do this with characters from said games but if you can come up with something clever- by all means.

/still needs a new srk avatar.

PortCity

Smash Ace
@Debo: I'm up to play in DSM Thursday or in Ames, the place is irrelevant. If we go to DSM we might want to have 4 people, just in case they start up MVC3 or SFxT. I don't want to be stuck watching marvel unless I choose to :)

BPx

Smash Lord
dustin, you can grab out of my downthrow no matter which side of me you're on... broken, i'll show you when i get back

PortCity

Smash Ace
dustin, you can grab out of my downthrow no matter which side of me you're on... broken, i'll show you when i get back
TL:DR- Get close enough to Wario to not get hit with the butt stomp and time the pikmin to connect right after the stomp. The pikmin will grab them when they pop up, or even reach on the otherside to catch them.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
JOKER I TOTALLY KNEW YOU WERE APRIL FOOLIN' BRO.

But I gotta admit, I didn't sleep easy that night due to my worries :(

Sad story.
<3

Also,- I'm looking for someone to design a theme for my blog. I WILL pay you after you have met my quality standards (you can ask me for specific terms if that matters to you). With that being said, I have no real guidelines beyond incorporating Smash in there somehow (hence the name of the blog) mixed with elements from traditional fighters. I prefer you do this with characters from said games but if you can come up with something clever- by all means.
Next time I see you give me more info >.0

I don't want to be stuck watching marvel unless I choose to :)
Come on now pretty much I didn't start playing Marvel till about 30mins when I was told everyone was leaving including Ngamer and Blank so 4hrs of smash to 30mins of Marvel I think is a fair trade o.0

What time is everyone plannin on showing up? ??

:phone:
They usually show up around 5-6ish.

BOLT08

Smash Lord
Ames peeps, when do you want to leave tomorrow? I am done around 1 PM, so I am available whenever.

I am mad hype about these games. And excited to see CBK, haven't seen you since like August or some ****.

And Joker, I'm going to want some 1v1 practice in brawl.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
I really wanted ORC to be good but... it just isn't... I dread the unreal engine and freaking socom is not a good game.. it was good back then but they just need to change it up. If they can't do that leave it alone goddammit!

But yeah, Tales of Phantasia is my favorite because I really like Cress.. But Legendia has a mature story, you say? I might have to check it out... I've also never played Tales of Phantasia lololol just watched the OVA and I thought that was cool. But Cress has always been my favorite regardless.

Emil is my second because I like how he looks >.>
I think you confused Legendia with Abyss. Abyss is essentially a Tales game all grown-up. While most Tales games are simplistic stories of war, insidious alien forces, ancient civilizations or straight up moral glorification, Abyss manages to have somewhat interesting character development and is the only one to really have any emotional impact on me. Considering how limited the series has been in scope, it may not be "deep" enough to warrant such praise but you could consider it one of the more ambitious and darker titles by far. The characters feel the most human, coming to conclusions that aren't so black and white. They struggle with internal conflicts and fight for their self-worth. Even the antagonists are not played the pity card nor are they completely selfish. Its very realistic in portraying the different sides in one of the first attempts the series makes into dabbling in science, religion, and psychology. Without any clear answer on any of its topics, simply people doing what they believe to be right. Overall its my favorite 3D Tales experience.

Legendia simply has a great atmosphere, amazing music that has multiple layers of complexity, just about anything thats made me feel bliss or peace has probably gave me nostalgic flashbacks to this game at some point. Its too bad the actual gameplay is incredibly tedious. While it has most of what I look for in an RPG, it really is too short and plenty forgettable to someone who is hard-pressed to get into it. Still, the game makes an effort to embellish what I think are its strengths. So if there were one Tales game I'd love to get remade nowadays, perhaps even done in a more CG style (Like Hearts but done well) it would be this one.

Eternia is probably my favorite pre-Symphonia Tales games. I like to compare it to Destiny 2, both have some of the most seizure-ific battles. Its a game that fits in with the RPGs of the time, adding in celestial beings, demi-gods, and other planets for the sake of being epic and "different." I pretty much have love for that game because Farah was such a great female lead, along with Max and the human versions of summons. On that note Destiny II also has a really cutesy pop-culture nod cast that I enjoy, it was simply an enjoyable after-thought in comparison to Destiny DC. Which happens to be my favorite 2D tales game and probably favorite overall. It has a great battle system like Graces but the story doesn't take itself as seriously and somehow offers some realistic and entertaining interaction between a party of essentially 12 characters. Its a classic.

I thought I'd take Graces to Christian's house this weekend, but I'm having so much fun with it that I might have to hold on to it a bit longer and just basically finish EVERYTHING. Which is okay because Joker is still finishing up Metal Gear HD and RE righttttttt?

This is a game thats super fun to play with other people later on imo. Its too bad a lot of the cool things are unlocked so late. I'd love to start with Christian on New Game+ but that might cheapen the experience for him lol.

PortCity

Smash Ace
@Joker: I wasn't tripping. I was just being proactive. If we have enough people that, gives you the liberty to go play marvel if you want without messingw ith the flow of things.

BOLT08

Smash Lord
Scratch what I said before. My special surprise guest can't leave any earlier than 7. So, the time is up in the air right now. It all depends on what my gf says.

Se'kou what time works for you? CBK, you have the day off get there before 8. You b*tch.

Top Bottom